• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

earth ships

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i was watching a B5 ep the other day, I think the one before the whitestar fleet meets up with the Omega's merged with shadow tech. I realized how bulky and slow Earth Force ships are (i dont know why i didnt see it before). I think it'd be nice to see some sleeker, faster, and more badass Earth Force ships in the future
laugh.gif
. What do you guys think?

------------------

To paraphrase another captain, sleek doesn't really matter in space. You can strap a brick to an engine and it'd fly just as well. No air resistance in space, unlike an atmosphere.

As for better ships, that ought to happen after the Alliance starts up. Just look at the Victory class ships. Of course, that means getting their hands exclusively on some good tech...

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

The newest earth ships are the Warlock-class destroyers, introduced in 2262. They are notably sleeker than their predecessors. They have artificial gravity technology, so they don't have awkward rotating sections.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daave:

I realized how bulky and slow Earth Force ships are (i dont know why i didnt see it before).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I personaly think Omegas are one of the most beautilful ships in B5 universe
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
I think it'd be nice to see some sleeker, faster, and more badass Earth Force ships in the future
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Warlock class destroyers are sleeker, faster and more badass
wink.gif

------------------

Ships without artificial gravity are subject to human limits of acceleration tolerance.

White Star:

Accelerate at 50 G. The crew feels a slight movement, sensors register slight stress. Gravity fields pull both the crew and the ship, everything equally.

Omega:

Accelerate at 50 G. The crew dies and the ship breaks apart from stress.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

Mind you as Earth advances in tech, it might want to emulate the Minbari success in creating larger ships able to operate within an atmosphere, that probably would require a sleeker design, although the gravimetric drive could be inverted I suppose, so that it could make an obscure shape remain in flight within a gravity well!

------------------
Back when I was a kid in Sunday School, Father Minkowski once said: "Given the crucifixion was a terrible thing for anyone to endure, if you could go back in time 2200 years, would you prevent the crucifixion of Christ?" Well after a heated debate, we all agreed the answer was no. The crucifixion was necessary to redeem the world. - Lt. John Matheson "The Needs of Earth"

"We live for the One. We die for the One!"

I don't really get into all the technical stuff about ships, but I can speculate that since Sheridan and Dlenn head the ISA and have brought Humans and Minbari closer together, you would see more cross tech. The Minbari would probably help Earth build better ships. I do remember Delenn telling President Luchenko that the Alliance would allow Earth access to better tech. And for those of you that saw the Ranger movie, the Valen is kinda like an example of that, but it was for the Alliance, not Earth. But it was an example of Human/Minbari co-operation, as were the Victory class ships in ACTA.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> To paraphrase another captain, sleek doesn't really matter in space. You can strap a brick to an engine and it'd fly just as well. No air resistance in space, unlike an atmosphere. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, i figured i'd get that
tongue.gif
I was just reading about those Warlock class ships
shocked.gif
those things seem to pack a punch.

------------------

"a brick strapped to an engine" is a pretty apt way of describing earthfleet. I suppose it all depends on what you have in mind when you want "sleek" as part of te schematics. Take the Narn destroyer The G'quon (spelling?) it looked damn impressive, one of my favourites actually. It's capabilities were somewhat akin to what the earth ships had to offer. The same could be said for the Centauri ships. True to their nature, ostentatious display masking a rather ordinary fighting ship capable of average fighting capabilities. Sleek could be there for pure psychological advantage
laugh.gif

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

Weren't the Warlock class an upgrade to the Omega class, using Shadow tech?

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Warlocks are quite different from Omegas.

They have no rotating sections, suggesting artificial gravity. They have no Shadowtech on the outside (like the skin of an advanced Omega) but they may have some on the inside (computers).

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

I think the Earthforce ships are the second best types, next to the Whitestars. I really like the Hyperion class vessels.

I think that Earthforce design may have been run Americans.

If you look at it, we dont have as much grace with architecture as the rest of the world. And "aestetically pleasing" isnt one of out major things either.

American currency vs. Euros
--the Euros more pleasing

American warships vs. British trimarian vessel
--trimarian looks better

the only thing we may have that looks better than the rest of the worlds are planes. Nothing on Earth can match the sleekness of an F-22 or a B2

------------------

Waddya mean the Euro's look more pleasing... half my country are desperately trying to avoid being forced into adopting it.

I think the euro looks a bit simplistic. I prefer our stirling coins and cash. It's nice to have people on the back of your notes who you can at least slightly relate to.

Mind you, your dollars have that freaky eye of Isis on them don't they
wink.gif

------------------
Back when I was a kid in Sunday School, Father Minkowski once said: "Given the crucifixion was a terrible thing for anyone to endure, if you could go back in time 2200 years, would you prevent the crucifixion of Christ?" Well after a heated debate, we all agreed the answer was no. The crucifixion was necessary to redeem the world. - Lt. John Matheson "The Needs of Earth"

"We live for the One. We die for the One!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Mind you, your dollars have that freaky eye of Isis on them don't they <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that the all seeing eye of the Illuminati?

hmmm...

*Puts copy of Deus Ex in drawer*

*Locks draw*

------------------
"And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning." - Winston Churchill
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

i just dont like the very end of the omega class ships, i dont know why. the warlock class ships look like something that could kick some major ass.

are centari ships stronger then omega class ships? i remember hearing londo (i think) saying the centari were going to ride the rising star of the humans, did they mean earthforce was stronger or just had more potienal?
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galahad:
Waddya mean the Euro's look more pleasing... half my country are desperately trying to avoid being forced into adopting it.

I think the euro looks a bit simplistic. I prefer our stirling coins and cash. It's nice to have people on the back of your notes who you can at least slightly relate to.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with people is that more often than not, for everyone who likes the person, there's two people who'd rather not see his or her face. Now in a well-accepted monarchy, the problem might not be so drastic, but over a whole continent in which practically everyone was at war with everyone at some time during history, it becomes a bit more difficult to settle on universally accepted candidates... which is why the Euro has the concept of bridges (which link people and places otherwise separated) and windows and gates (which open to let someone out/in or allow to look outside)

Let me pick, as an example, Shakespeare. Everyone would say that he'd be a likely candidate from the UK. But, uh, well, there is still the "Merchant of Venice" etc and the -at his time quite frequent, but today taboo- antisemitic views. When it comes to settling on specific people, it is always easy for those disliking those people to find some things that when launched in the right fashin make that person unacceptable to enough people that the idea is dropped.

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daave:

are centari ships stronger then omega class ships? i remember hearing londo (i think) saying the centari were going to ride the rising star of the humans, did they mean earthforce was stronger or just had more potienal?
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that Londo meant (as had also been expressed by I think, Kosh, that the Centauri and the Narn were dying races) that their culture was waning and that Earth was waxing. He thought that his people, sadly, were going to hang on to the human's coat tails for whatever scraps were to be had.

------------------
"I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain."
-Lily Tomlin

Which is a pity, the Centauri have looked at the past so much that they have no idea where the future is. The Narn have embraced their hatred to such an extent that they aren't aware that there is an entire univers out there.
The Centauri and Narn were always pretty evenly matched. Earth a step behind. Humanity's tenacious nature has put them ahead of the bath races technologically speaking.
True to centauri nature, instead of shaking off the lethargy that grips their culture they'll try and hitch a ride at someone elses expense!

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

Well... If we return back to the ships.. Yes, EA ships does look like they are slow and rude. My favourite is Omega class destroyer, it has much of potential. But as was expressed earlier, there is no "speed" in space so they are all evenly matched. But EA roks...

------------------
Logical thinking - Perfect weapon

Superbob said
The Centauri and Narn were always pretty evenly matched. Earth a step behind. Humanity's tenacious nature has put them ahead of the bath races technologically speaking.
True to centauri nature, instead of shaking off the lethargy that grips their culture they'll try and hitch a ride at someone elses expense!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Socio-economically and tehnologically speaking (thats a mouthful
laugh.gif
), the Centauri are ahead of Earth and very much ahead of the Narn. The Centauri are an older race that experienced a Golden Age in their history. Technological and cultural advances made during this time produced things that are still considered to set the standard hundreds of years later.

Earth falls under the Centauri but ahead of the Narn because they have been a spacefaring race for a longer amount of time. Also G'kar would've given his right arm for Earth to join the Narn in their conflict with the Centauri.

The Narn are the weakest of the original five main races. A hundred years of slavery tends to handicap a society. Until recently, their obsession for revenge was going to be their ultimate doom. The interesting thing to note is that while the Centauri are more powerful than the Humans and the Narns, they are the only one of the three races that are stagnant or declining.

Daave said
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I've said Centauri ships are stronger than Earths but the answer to your question is the Humans have more potential. Londo realizes that the Humans are on the rise while his own people are on the decline. This horrible realization and the desire to change it around is partly why he was such a good target for Morden to grab a hold of.

------------------
YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IMMORTALITY!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back