• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jumpoint warfare

Elizar

Beyond the rim
In the movie "In the Beggining" The minbari take out some earth ships by forming jumpoints in them.

Why don't we see this more often? It would be a good weapon if you are near being destroyed!

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

It obviously requires knowing the target coordinates, and having ways to eliminate the inaccuracies of hyperspace navigation.

The Minbari flyer which lured the Earth Force convoy into a trap could provide target coordinates, a point of reference for the cruiser to jump in precisely.

Space is big. Ships are small. Hyperspace navigation is inherently inaccurate. The jump engines of most races are also inaccurate (obviously Minbari jump engines are good enough). Unless you have some way to eliminate the inaccuracies, hitting something is blind luck.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited March 03, 2002).]

In "A call to Arms" I think that the Victory and Excalibur destroy a few drak fighters that way. Thats the only other time I remerber seeing that happen.

It would be usefull if the ships were in an emergency, but to me it doesn't seem logical to use it continually when they could just shoot down the enemy. I really don't know.
smile.gif

------------------
Yeah, Mundanes still suck.

Vorlon made Super-Teep at your service.

Remember that forming a jump point requires a huge amount of energy, so forming an 'entry' jump point on a ship might not be a good idea if after you destroy said ship you have to leave in a hurry.

Also we saw the Dralafi take out a formation of Earth ships in ITB which is probably a lot easier than taking out a single ship.

------------------
'So you go in there and get your HR Steam Cleaner all fired up, and you bring it on out into the living room and you take care of all the dog juice on the orange carpet at 180 and the letter G.' - Taco the Wonderdog
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I mean...both ships are in normal space.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In normal space? Jump points seem to open very close to a ship. No more than a few seconds of travel. Weapons can be used from huge distances. Over many minutes worth of travel time.

While a jump point is destructive, it has very short range. Getting anything close enough to use jump engines as weapons... would be hopeless. Their only practical use requires an ambush -- jumping into the enemy ship from hyperspace.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited March 03, 2002).]

I mean...both ships are in normal space. The one opens a jumpoint on the other and destroys it. Why don't they do that?

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

Since jump engines can take as much as 20 Minutes to recharge (as seen in several episodes), using them as Weapons is usually rather Impractical.

Considering the energy requirements, it's a bit like the old "Sledgehammer for a Flyswatter" analogy.

Plus, the jump point forms pretty close to the ship generating it.
That would mean the ship using one as a weapon would have to get into "knife range" before using it.
Giving the Target ship plenty of time to blow Lots of Large Holes in the ship trying to use its Jump Engines as a weapon.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

I could maybe see it as a weapon if you were having thousands or hundreds of ships opening jump points right into the middle of a fleet. Sort of like "In the Beginning" when we saw endless jumppoints being formed, what if those had been right in the middle of the fleet assembled by us for the battle, yikes!! Other than that, I'd say jump engines are better suited to travel rather than weapons.

------------------
YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IMMORTALITY!

I wouldn't make it into an actual weapon, but if there was one ship fighting me, and I couldn't win, I'd form a jumpoint on them!!

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

<font color=yellow>I could maybe see it as a weapon if you were having thousands or hundreds of ships opening jump points right into the middle of a fleet. Sort of like "In the Beginning" when we saw endless jumppoints being formed, what if those had been right in the middle of the fleet assembled by us for the battle</font color=yellow>

<hr></blockquote>
If it's a major fleet action then I could see this as being tactically not very wise - it would increase the chance of getting hit by friendly fire and increase the chance your ships get seriously damaged by debris from destroyed ships. The minbari didn't need this kind of advantage at the Line, since enough of their capital ships were present to be able to keep the human fleet at arms length.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If my ship were being chased, I would open up a jump point behind me to get rid of the sucker!

<hr></blockquote>It would rarely work.

1. While speeding away from your chaser, you could not keep the jump point open. Jump points can be maintained only very close to your ship.

2. If the chaser would be close enough to be damaged by a jump point, your ship would already be full of nice little (and nice large) holes. Jump engines tend to fail under such conditions.

I didn't know that you yourself had to maintain them. Can't believe I didn't see this coming. YOU JUST HAVE TO RUIN MY DREAMS!!! Also, we did see jump point warfare in CtA.

Latest posts

Members online

Back