• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

and so it ends ....

Bah, Gus Lynch already laid the proverbial smack down on this guy & somebody else in the Rangers forum...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Am I the only one astonished that GKE didn't know what STFU stood for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Joe, you're not.
smile.gif
I had to blink a few times to make sure I read that one right... acronyms are so cool. PEBKAC, STFU, RTFM, etc etc...

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

STFU: We have covered.
RTFM: Read The Fu*king Manual
PEBKAC: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Any others we need to mention here?

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

You should try words. They're like acronyms only better. Sure they're a little longer but all english speaking people can understand them and you aren't so easily recognizable as a giant nerd.

I with G'Kar'sEye on this one.

------------------
"I was free to wallow in my own crapulence." -Mr. Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns Part Two"

[This message has been edited by Doctor Gonzo (edited February 13, 2002).]

Well, there's always:
FUBAR - Fncked Up Beyond All Repair.
SWAG - Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Doctor Gonzo:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> You should try words. They're like acronyms only better. Sure they're a little longer but all english speaking people can understand them and you aren't so easily recognizable as a giant nerd. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. A kindred soul. There should be a thread about the proper usage of the english (and portuguese, and all the others) language.

------------------
never surrender, never give up
God, I need a better tag line

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>. PEBKAC, STFU, RTFM, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ARGH!! What do all of these acronyms means?!

Ok, lemme explain: I'm not a big Net guy. I don't hang out in chat rooms, this is one of only two messageboards I post at (that's why I post so much), and only do the Instant Messenger thing once or twice a week. So, I'm not up on all the cute little acronyms you folks use.

Of course, I could just make up my own, like: you all can SMD!
tongue.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Well, there's always:
FUBAR - Fncked Up Beyond All Repair.
SWAG - Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to Saving Private Ryan FUBAR=F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition.

SNAFU=Situation Normal All F*cked Up

------------------
If I tell you that everything I say is a lie, am I telling the truth?

My personal favorite is:

WOMBAT - Waste Of Money, Brains, And Time

Usage: This project is a real wombat.

------------------
Joe Vancil
joev@joev.com

"All right, fine; you look for them. Me? I'm going down there, and maybe I'll bust some heads, and maybe they'll bust mine, but nobody sells out my people like this. Nobody."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joev5638:
My personal favorite is:

WOMBAT - Waste Of Money, Brains, And Time

Usage: This project is a real wombat.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why'd I think of Independence Day and Pearl Harbor immediately as I read that?[FIREdevil.gif emoticon]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joev5638:
"All right, fine; you look for them. Me? I'm going down there, and maybe I'll bust some heads, and maybe they'll bust mine, but nobody sells out my people like this. Nobody."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's this from? Peacemaker?

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
What's this from? Peacemaker?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KoshN,

It's Garibaldi - my favorite character - from the episode "Point Of No Return," telling Sheridan how he intends to go down to security and set his people straight.

This kind of loyalty was one of the important things that you had to understand about Garibaldi to really appreciate the character.

I'll probably change Garibaldi quotes from time to time, but almost certainly, if it's from me, then the quote is from Garibaldi.

Joe

------------------
Joe Vancil
joev@joev.com

Tigara, I didn't learn the meaning of FUBAR from a Movie.

I learned it while in the Navy.
A bit closer to the source.

The Navy understands that battles cause FU.
They even Expect it.
Recognizing a FU is trivial.
It's the Repair part that is critical.
If you can't FIX the FU, the ship might sink.
It's a subtle distinction, but a crucial one.
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited February 17, 2002).]

KoshN,

It's Garibaldi - my favorite character - from the episode "Point Of No Return," telling Sheridan how he intends to go down to security and set his people straight.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KoshN does the "I coulda had a V8." maneuver.
blush.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I learned it while in the Navy.
A bit closer to the source.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Beyond recognition" is the Army variant, and probably the one that most people are familiar with. Anyway, that's the explanation I've always heard from various relatives and friends who served in the ETO during WWII, which is also pretty close to the source. (The Army also bequeathed us this classic description of a malfunctioning Jeep: "The f***ing f***er's f***ed!")

The Navy may have borrowed the term and refined it later.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The Navy may have borrowed the term and refined it later.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, the Army borrowed it and got it Wrong.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

The Army suffers from the problem that, by the time they realize they have a FU, it's Too Late to "Repair" anything because they are already up to their necks.
The Army has to just "deal with it".

Although I understand that the Army understands terms like "Cluster Fnck" and "Screw The Pooch" perfectly.
wink.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online