• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Crusade: Ruling From The Tomb

Ruling From The Tomb

• A -- Excellent

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • B -- Good

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • C -- Average

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • D -- Poor

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • F -- Failure

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
I just verified the looping in Each Night. In every copy of the script that I have (first Draft-8/3/98, Final Draft-8/19/98 and shooting script-through Blue Revisions 9/9/98) Gideon and Lochley introduce themselves.

I knew hanging on to these early drafts would come in handy!
:)
Jan

Jan,

Did you check the Ruling from the Tomb scripts? Did they always contain the intro we saw onscreen?

It is easy to confuse with what you have read here :)

While that's certainly true, and I may be remembering wrong, I'm remembering this episode was aired first, (before knowing all this stuff of the Conspiracy to commit crib murder on Crusade) and then I was confused by seeing them meet again in the other episode? LOL. :D

Did you check the Ruling from the Tomb scripts? Did they always contain the intro we saw onscreen?

Mac,

Okay, I'm home now and checked the 'Ruling from the Tomb' scripts. I've got the First Draft (11/20/98) and the shooting script-Final Draft thrhough Pink Revisions (12/1/98, 12/2/98 & 12/4/98) and both have Gideon and Lochley introducing themselves when Gideon comes up to Lochley as she's 'discussing' security arrangements with Lt. Carr.

Jan

While that's certainly true, and I may be remembering wrong, I'm remembering this episode was aired first, (before knowing all this stuff of the Conspiracy to commit crib murder on Crusade) and then I was confused by seeing them meet again in the other episode? LOL. :D

A Twilight Zone moment.

Mac,

Okay, I'm home now and checked the 'Ruling from the Tomb' scripts. I've got the First Draft (11/20/98) and the shooting script-Final Draft thrhough Pink Revisions (12/1/98, 12/2/98 & 12/4/98) and both have Gideon and Lochley introducing themselves when Gideon comes up to Lochley as she's 'discussing' security arrangements with Lt. Carr.

Jan

Thanks.

So, I guess that would mean that the looped line was added to Each Night I Dream of Home before any version of the Ruling from the Tomb script was written.

Thanks.

So, I guess that would mean that the looped line was added to Each Night I Dream of Home before any version of the Ruling from the Tomb script was written.

Well, all the black suit episodes were done after the production hiatus, so they would have recognised that because of War Zone they would need a block to come before the grey suit episodes. That would have meant that the first appearance of Lochley in this new block would have to be written as her first introduction by default.

JMS says on one of the commentary tracks that there was some kind of battle with TNT to persuade them to finish post on the grey suit episodes at all, so they couldn't necessarily assume the introduction they had already filmed for Lochley in Each Night I Dream of Home would ever be seen. The loop would have been added whenever they got round to finishing post on that episode, which for all we know may actually have been after Ruling from the Tomb was finished.

I wonder which, if any of the eight black-suit episodes filmed might have ended up being placed after the 'laundry accident' episode if that had been filmed..

I imagine one looped line of dialogue could pretty much be done any time between the end of filming and sending the finished episode to the network for broadcast.

Once renewal for season 5 on TNT was confirmed they also managed to loop one line of voiceover for Rising Star to explain Ivanova's absence, at some point between that confirmation and broadcast.

It probably happens far more often than we are aware of in many shows.

Thanks.

Or at least planned for, yes. We know that the production was put on the longer hiatus around the third week of September and that 'War Zone', the new first episode, was written in the second week of October. I tend to think that it was probably around that time that the uniform change and revised episode order was mandated. The first draft of 'Ruling' was dated 11/20/98 so there was plenty of time for the revised planning to take place.

Jan

It probably happens far more often than we are aware of in many shows.

There's an example of it in Into the Fire as well. The scene in which Lorien discusses life, the universe and everything with Ivanova in her quarters was originally shot for the Summoning. There's a line addred to Ivanova's narration at the beginning of the episode to explain why they would revisit Babylon 5 after meeting with the final first ones instead of heading straight for the fight. It's not a loop exactly, but it jars a little with the first part of her narration, it sounds like it was recorded in a different studio.

JMS says on one of the commentary tracks that there was some kind of battle with TNT to persuade them to finish post on the grey suit episodes at all, so they couldn't necessarily assume the introduction they had already filmed for Lochley in Each Night I Dream of Home would ever be seen. The loop would have been added whenever they got round to finishing post on that episode, which for all we know may actually have been after Ruling from the Tomb was finished.

I know this isn't really about the point we're discussing here, but IIRC, I don't think JMS ever said that in any commentary track we got on any of the DVDs. He's said it online in his posts, but not on the DVDs. That's part of the commentary he wanted to put on the Crusade DVDs, and Warner Brothers agreed to it, but then Warners edited it out.

I know this isn't really about the point we're discussing here, but IIRC, I don't think JMS ever said that in any commentary track we got on any of the DVDs. He's said it online in his posts, but not on the DVDs. That's part of the commentary he wanted to put on the Crusade DVDs, and Warner Brothers agreed to it, but then Warners edited it out.

I may be misremembering then..

This one was a little weird ... I was pleased to finally see Lochley actually appear on the show, after seeing her in the opening credits for the past 6 or so episodes (I'm watching in DVD order). But, the story was a ... weird. It was also weirding me out how suddenly everyone was either flirting or hitting on someone. Something in the air on Mars? ALSO weird is how in this episode and some others, the main characters feel the need to explain the story that we JUST watched to the viewer ... But I'm gathering from comments in these threads that perhaps that was something the studio required?

Latest posts

Members online

Back