B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old September 20th 07, 15:36   #51
hypatia
First One

Re: So...what is everybody reading now? (part Deux)

Ah, so you did like Sagan's "Contact"? I didn't read much of his writing, only two or three books, but they are sometimes pretty interesting.
Old September 20th 07, 15:48   #52
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Ah, so you did like Sagan's "Contact"? I didn't read much of his writing, only two or three books, but they are sometimes pretty interesting.
I quite liked the movie already, in spite of Matthew McConaughey. The book was great though - was my first encounter with anything directly made by Sagan, fiction or non-fiction. Though, as fun as much as I enjoyed the real science in the book, there was one huge flaw - in the ending. No idea if you remember it :-D

SPOILERS FOR CONTACT

In the end, Ellie discovers a message hidden deep into Pi, when looking at Pi in base-11 arithmetics. A message that is "statistically impossible".

There is no such thing as a "statistically impossible" series of numbers in an infinite array of random numbers. No matter what array of numbers you think of, it'll be in Pi, *somewhere*.

Link

My phone number is there quite quickly, for example.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th 07, 15:50   #53
Chilli

Oh, and I was surprised to find out earlier today that my aunt knew Carl Sagan. Her husband is a (retired, now) professor of biology at Cornell University, where Sagan was, and got to hang out with him a lot in the old days. Enough that my aunt got to meet him too. Small world .. any details I should try to squeeze out of my aunt?
Old September 20th 07, 23:02   #54
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Her bank account number

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 08, 05:23   #55
Alluveal
Psi Cop

(bumping this.)

I am reading "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. I feel like such a ninny, but I can't believe I've gone this long w/o reading it. My dad wouldn't leave me alone about it, so I had to give it a shot.

Awesome so far, though OSC has a severe obsession with farts. (snicker)
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 08, 09:19   #56
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett, Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson, and Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold (again).

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 08, 14:36   #57
Jonny_Fever
Ambassador

I just starting reading Harry Turtledove after finishing the 6 books in the Novels of the Change series by S.M. Sterling. I recommend Stirling if you enjoy, end of the world kind of themes which i do. I seem to have a fascination with how the world might end. LOL
Jonny_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th 08, 18:09   #58
GKarsEye
First One

Funny, I've also never read Ender's Game. I was going to but I saw Collen McCullough put out another book in her Rome series, so I picked that up.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th 08, 06:57   #59
rhyta
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_Fever View Post
I just starting reading Harry Turtledove after finishing the 6 books in the Novels of the Change series by S.M. Sterling. I recommend Stirling if you enjoy, end of the world kind of themes which i do. I seem to have a fascination with how the world might end. LOL
I am just finishing the Protector's war, I find it fascinating to speculate how we would survive if we had to do without our technology, if we could go on and not self destruct.

I liked the Island in the Sea of Time trilogy by Stirling, it was the flip-side of the Novels of the Change and took technology back into history and how that effects what goes forward.

You should enjoy Turtledove a lot, my hubby has read just about everything he has written.

p.s. I wonder why someone would think the Novels of the Change was cribbed from Independence Day? There is no relation as far as I can see

As for those who are just getting around to reading Ender's Game, it is better late than never. I read it about 10 years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

One last recommend, I am also into a fantasy series called His Majesty's Dragon. It is set in Napoleonic times and the battles are historical but they fight with dragons as well as their ships. It has been very enjoyable and a clever story line.

phew!
Old March 24th 08, 00:31   #60
Chilli

Finished "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest the other day. Great book, highly recommended.

BUT

Only for people that have already seen the movie. Firstly because this is one case where the movie is actually better than the book - not due to any failings of the book, but simply because the movie is bloody fantastic. Also, the movie is only a very loose adaption of the movie. Knowing the book will ruin the later half of the movie. Knowing the movie will not spoil the climax of the book, as the book's climax is part of a plot line completely abandoned for the movie.

Now reading "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", second book in Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series.