• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Which ship would win? A Borg cube or a Shadow vessel?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hands down, it's the Shadow vessel. I can see the scene now:

A Borg cube drops out of warp just as a Shadow vessel appears.

Borg cube: "We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is fu-"

An intense beam of energy from the Shadow vessel cuts the cube in two. Then cuts the two pieces into four, sending thousands of helpless drones tumbling into space.

The Shadow vessel then disappears.

------------------
"Now get the hell out of our galaxy!!"

-Captain John Sheridan to the Vorlons and Shadows

Wow, we got one of these
laugh.gif

I used to really get into these, I had the links for the ship specs and everything. But it's kinda late and I'm really tired so I'm gonna wing it off the top of my head.
Shadow vessel is approximately 3kms long, organic shielding, hyperspace tap generator and some nasty ass weaponry. Borg cube, about 1.5 km length width and height, adaptive shielding, regenerative capabilities. But since they can't adapt to something they haven't experienced yet, the cube should be ripped apart and they'd lose the first round.

May Valen be with you.

Hmmm. Def a shadow capital ship would rip apart a regular cube the second it came out of warp...however, a tactical cub might be able to deflect a portion of that main energy beam...a borg tractor beam might be successful if the cube had enough time.

Even if the cube was successful with its dampening field, it still might not be able to assimilate the shadows or shadow tech because of the mass organic tech involved (remember the problems assimilating species 8472?).

Oh and tactical cubes are cool too.

laugh.gif

------------------
"Tho' much is taken,much abides; and tho' we are not that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
-- Alfred Lord Tennyson
A poem left by Jeff Sinclair for John Sheridan

How can I turn away
Brother/Sister go dancing
Through my head
Human as to human
The future is no place
To place your better days
--Dave Mathews Band "Cry freedom"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phaserbrains:
Hands down, it's the Shadow vessel. I can see the scene now:

A Borg cube drops out of warp just as a Shadow vessel appears.

Borg cube: "We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is fu-"

An intense beam of energy from the Shadow vessel cuts the cube in two. Then cuts the two pieces into four, sending thousands of helpless drones tumbling into space.

The Shadow vessel then disappears.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still like the thing somebody posted up on the net a few years back. From memory (embellished by me):

A Fleet of about a couple dozen Borg cubes drop out of warp near the Vorlon Homeworld.

Borg cube: "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

Vorlon response: "Impudent! >musical tones< and a couple patrolling Vorlon Battleships utterly destroy the entire Borg fleet in seconds.

This is repeated until the Borg are extinct, or learn not to mess with Vorlons.

laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Whenever one of these start up, I'm usually the only one that picks the ST vessel, and I'm going to again. I say the Borg cube will win for the same reason the enterprise takes out the whitestar and pretty much any other vessel on B5 -- transporters.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

You're going to beam some Borg on to an organic Shadow Ship.
What if it doesn't like you?

------------------
"Ink on a page." -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.

You never should ask that question!!!
I don't have anything against Trek (except the last to, DS9 and Voyager - they sucked) but it's unnecessary to think these questions, because you must know that Borgs and Shadows will never meet each other.

crazy.gif

Regards,
TheInfection

------------------
Things change... long time gone by.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheInfection:
You never should ask that question!!!
I don't have anything against Trek (except the last to, DS9 and Voyager - they sucked) but it's unnecessary to think these questions, because you must know that Borgs and Shadows will never meet each other.

crazy.gif

Regards,
TheInfection

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue117/site.html

and
http://www.spacebattles.com/

...but be forewarned, it had a decidely pro-Trek bent (well, except for The Alpha Quadrant Part 5).
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 02, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>You're going to beam some Borg on to an organic Shadow Ship.
What if it doesn't like you? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beam over the Borg? Nah, I'd start by beaming over some of those super-supreme delux nuclear bombs that Sheridan seems so fond of.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

Moving this to General Discussion, as it does not relate to a show in particular, but still has something to do with B5.

If it's just one Shadow vessel, I'd say the Borg cube would win. If there were more than one Shadow vessel, say four or five, I would say that they would win.

------------------
All my life I've had doubts about who I am, where I belong. Now, I'm like the arrow that springs from the bow. No hesitation, no doubts. The path is clear.
-Ambassador Jeffrey David Sinclair, War Without End

Some questions and observations, out of curiosity... and a desire to prove that the answer can't be determined. These are two fictional universes, two incompatible sets of rules. They can be compared for fun only.

1. Unless I am mistaken, a Shadow vessel can spawn quite a cloud of fighters. Would they matter?

2. Transporters would have great potential, but there might be problems.

What if a Shadow vessel can fire from outside transporter range? If it has sufficient energy and good enough targeting, why not? What if the Shadow vessel shows up at your side -- if you nuke it, you nuke yourself.

On second thoughts, what if you can't determine the location of the Shadow ship well enough to beam anything aboard? Can a Shadow vessel jam transporters?

Also, if we assume that transporters work, we should assume that hyperspace works. So a Shadow vessel could detect you by peeking into normal space, send you a little nuke and watch the fireworks. Can a Borg cube jam jump engines?

Result: indeterminate.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited November 03, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phaserbrains:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still like the thing somebody posted up on the net a few years back. From memory (embellished by me):

A Fleet of about a couple dozen Borg cubes drop out of warp near the Vorlon Homeworld.

Borg cube: "We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile."

Vorlon response: "Impudent! >musical tones< and a couple patrolling Vorlon Battleships utterly destroy the entire Borg fleet in seconds.

This is repeated until the Borg are extinct, or learn not to mess with Vorlons.

laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Reading this post was a great fun:LOL:.Maybe because it's impossible for those ships to meet.I have another idea:

The starship "Enterprise" crosses the border of Vorlon space.

A patroling Vorlon ship jumps out of hyperspace.

Enterprise:"This is Captain Jean-Luc Picard from the USS "Enterprise".Who are you?

Vorlons:"Who are YOU"

Enterprise:"We come from a planet called Earth"

Vorlons"Irrelevant"

Enterprise:"We have a mission to explore this area of space"

Vorlons:"Incorrect.Leave NOW"

Enterprise:"We don't understand you"

Vorlons:"Then listen to the music, not the song"

Enterprise:"Aren't you going to show us some respect"

Vorlons:"Respect!From whom?"

Enterprise:"We can't allow you to stop our mission.Full impusle"

Vorlons:"Disobidient"

With a single beam from the Vorlon ship "Enterprise" is destroyed!

Last edited:
I just had an idea about another possible space battle.What about a Vorlon Planet Killer against The Great Machine;).I would bet on the Great Machine.What do you think?

Last edited:
Now, by far I know very little about the Trek universe, so someone can follow up if they care.

But didn't the Borgs inability to fight organic based ships and life forms of a type proven in Voyager with that whole species 852 or 812 or 819 or 899 ... whatever it was! :)

Granted, I know most people don't account voyager as canon, but alas, I don't take knowledge of trek at all :)

S.

I'll wade in here a little. Though this is largely supposition and assumption

1) It's assumed in the B5 universe that an organic ship is capable of generating far more power than a standard metal hull with circuitry and a fusion reactor... so it's baseline weaponry is more potent.

2 Most ships in the B5 universe use the blue/amber jump forming system... all they need do is open a jump point inside a cube and it's game over... so theoretically even the Brakiri could take out the Borg (although it's probably only more advanced races that would be able to recalculate the galactic longitude/latitude for forming a point on a moving target). As for Shadows, they phase into Hyperspace... and we IIRC don't see a shadow use that tactic on an enemy fleet. However... the Walkers hyperspace method also affects nearby ships...so it's reasonable to assume that any travelling between hyperspace and normalspace results in significant enough disruption to harm a ship to some degree.

3) When you get to the Shadowcloud... just forget it. The cloud's energy draining effects would render any shielding inert and then off go the burrowing nukes into the hull of the cube.

4) First Ones have totally different bodies to us. I somehow don't think they'd be compatible for assimilation.

I don't think transporters make any odds at all. So... you beam a crack commando team onto your enemies vessel and then watch through the portholes/viewscreen as your mother ship is torn apart by a strategically placed jump point. And thats assuming that the first one races don't have the ability to jam incoming transportations.

BTW I don't have anything against Trek eother.

First you have to assess the power of the weapons using visual evidence based on real world physics.

Second you determine the strategic doctrine used by both sides and deploy your forces accordingly.

Third employ the tactics that your strategic doctrine calls for.

Referencing the Borg Cube/ Shadow Vessel Crossfire,

The Borgs transporters would be useless against the Battle Crab, seeing as it is a single living entity without individual decks to transport onto. You migth try and beam out the CPU, but before you could do that, the Borgs actions would already alert the Battle Crab to danger and it would react accordingly.

If the BC is a juvenile, then the Borg may stand a chance, until it calls for help. If it is an adult or senior citizen version, the Borg are simply DEAD. The visual evicence for the power emmitted by them are simply to grreat for shield to withstand for more than a second or to before they fail and the beam punches and cuts through them.

Maybe if the Borg had a few BetaZed drones they maybe able to confuse the BC if they can project instead of just "feel" emotions.

Another question is whether the Borg Cube could stand up to a Walker vessel?

James

Man, a one-post thread from seven years ago gets resurrected? Wow, someone's been doing some digging.

To answer the question... the Death Star would clobber all of them.

I dunno, it's a chaos/order thing again... can the Borg assimilate true chaos?

Personally I think think the good ol' Purple Beam o' Death would slice and dice the Borg pretty nicely, and since there wouldn't be any survivors to report back to the collective, the Shadows could keep that up for a while. And the planet killer would be pretty lethal... I'd like to see the Borg try to assimilate heat-death.

The Vorlons and the Borg, on the other hand, would get along famously. And then we'd all be completely f*****.

Latest posts

Members online

Back