B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old April 20th 07, 15:35   #1
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Really Hard Question

One for my fellow UK based people... and I will seriously be impressed if you can help:

Channel 4 once had a mini showcase series of short dramas by up and coming directors that they showed late at night... I think on Thursdays at about midnight. Some of these were really good and one of them was centred around a court case in the future where a scientist and his assistant were being tried for murder by a group of clergy.

The idea was that in the future, Earth is in a near utopian state governed by the church. The scientist had invented a time machine but had destroyed it along with his research when his project partner had demonstrated that he wanted to use the machine to go back to the time of Christ and attempt to use advanced weaponry to rescue Christ from his ordeal on the cross before he died - to put to test the idea that Jesus would have to use divine power to stop the rescue, or it would prove that his death was nothing special. Knowing that the world was stable and that any such change would create havoc with the space-time continuum, the other scientists tried in vain to stop the rogue researcher... but he launched the machine. Reluctanttly his colleagues seemingly destroy the ship with him inside at the critical moment. The defendants are released by the council of bishops and then the twist ending is revealed, as we see the body of a man in torn clothing, covered in stains from fire smoke.... stir regain consciousness in a wilderness environment... and smile (the scientist survived and we are left imagine what happened next for ourselves).

Never been able to track down as much as a title... so if anyone knows I'd be in awe.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 07, 02:35   #2
Jade Jaguar
First One

Re: Really Hard Question

Wow, what a scifi story premise! I'd like to see that one.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 07, 18:58   #3
B5_Obsessed
First One

I've dabbled with the idea of a time-travel story involving Christ, because in all of histoy, there are probably two places/times I would most want to see and those would be during the final days of Jesus and when Moses delivered the Hebrews from Egypt. Moses would actually be a bit more exciting.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 07, 19:04   #4
B5_Obsessed
First One

Looking up this subject, I see that there are two novels written along the same lines as I was thinking:

Behold the Man (1966), a novella by Michael Moorcock and later expanded into a novel (1969). It is an existentialist tale about a man who uses a time machine to travel back in time from the year 1970 to 28 A.D., hoping to meet the historical Jesus of Nazareth.

The Didymus Contingency (2006) by Jeremy Robinson tells the tale of an atheist who travels back in time in order to prove Jesus a fraud. The book also discusses whether or not the past can truly be changed.

Oh well.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 07, 19:46   #5
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

I've got some Biblical Time Travel books... the good thing is that the guy who wrote them is actually a scientist in that field (for his day job)... and sticks to hard science. He also doesn't.

The question about this 1990's one off has been bugging me for years.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 07, 19:52   #6
Bab5nutz
First One

I remember reading a story along similar lines when I was a kid - it was called "Let's Go to Golgotha". The premise being that in the future, time travel was a reality, and offered time travel tours to the crucifixion.
Bab5nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 07, 20:15   #7
Elenopa
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab5nutz View Post
I remember reading a story along similar lines when I was a kid - it was called "Let's Go to Golgotha". The premise being that in the future, time travel was a reality, and offered time travel tours to the crucifixion.
I remember reading that one.

I wrote a time travel short story once. Let me see if I can find it.....

Found it!

I've put it as an attachment because of the size. Spot the B5 reference.
Attached Files
File Type: txt The Ultimate April Fool.txt (7.7 KB, 5 views)

You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word - Marcus Cole

Always grab a chance and you won't be sorry for a might have been - Commander Ted Walker RN

T-shirts and gifts for Scout and Guide leaders
Official Babylon 5 quote gear from JMS
Elenopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd 07, 21:27   #8
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Galahad,
I've no idea. Could you email Channel four to ask them? Its sounds great, I'd love to see it.

Film Four have a few movies online now, includng this...

http://www.channel4.com/apps26/blogs...rge_lucas_made

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th 07, 17:53   #9
PillowRock
Psi Cop

I have no idea about that show (being an American). However, I would expect that tracking down a specific episode title would become much more doable if you can come up with the title of the series. (For example, finding the episode title "To Serve Man" becomes much easier if you know that it was part of the series called "The Twilight Zone".)
PillowRock is offline   Reply With Quote