• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The advantage of no more B5

Personally, I am sick of always being a fan of series that are "too good" to stay on the air. American entertainment is a joke. Actually, America itself is a joke these days. Canada is starting to look good more & more.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but it's no fun to be American these days if you are liberal or don't fit the entertainment industry's idea of the "mainstream". I am so fed up.

WB Television still needs a customer, a place to air it. The Sci-Fi Channel is pretty full-up at the moment with Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica.
Here I admit my ignorance of modern US television. Does not the WB network still exist? If it does not, then you are right that the WB TV folks have not just a management problem, but a sales problem. That puts them back to the original days of B5, and that is not good.

Personally, I am sick of always being a fan of series that are "too good" to stay on the air. American entertainment is a joke. Actually, America itself is a joke these days. Canada is starting to look good more & more.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but it's no fun to be American these days if you are liberal or don't fit the entertainment industry's idea of the "mainstream". I am so fed up.
You have to crouch these sentiments in terms of "President Clarke" to make no-one notice! :LOL:

Just don't say "nukular" or "moolahs" and you will be okay, even here.

The problem with B5 can be summed up in the same three letters that identify the strength of B5: JMS.

Damn JMS and his damned artistic integrity..! Just kidding.. ;)

I was thinking that people might blame JMS for the things that have gone wrong with B5, but I don't blame him at all. It's "the suits" who deserve the blame. I cannot believe the things they have tried to pull where B5 is concerned! What is JMS supposed to do--just go along with it all? No, he is not to blame here.

Tammy

There is another problem, with even less letters: WB. :)

But ultimately, neither the goal of JMS nor WB...
...is producing more Babylon 5 "no matter what".
Neither is my goal influencing them to produce it
"no matter what".

When an agreement cannot be negotiated,
they will call it off, and perhaps try again later.
I am perfectly fine with that. The story as it stands currently
is already excellent, and perhaps my favourite story.

Grumbler, your avatar kicks ass. It makes this boy very excitable. I think I'm gonna start using music avatars, too.

tlsmith, take my advice- stop looking towards TV and popular entertainment for entertainment. Just assume it's not for you, and that's it. You don't have to like everything, right, no one does, so why do you have to like TV? Also, this will save you money on your cable bill.

If people are fed up with the state of sci-fi on the small screen, then go see Firefly 8 million times on the big screen when it comes out. (That's probably the universe with the most potential for success in my mind.)

Or, failing that, you could always read a book. Dan Simmons is writing amazing stuff these days.

WB Television still needs a customer, a place to air it. The Sci-Fi Channel is pretty full-up at the moment with Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica.
Here I admit my ignorance of modern US television. Does not the WB network still exist? If it does not, then you are right that the WB TV folks have not just a management problem, but a sales problem. That puts them back to the original days of B5, and that is not good.

The various factions of Warner Brothers do not cooperate with each other. In fact, they often compete with one another, cutting each others throats. Yes, I know it's stupid, but that's the way it is. Add to that the fact that "The WB" (the network, or netlet if you prefer) has something against B5 because it was on PTEN. If you search JMSNews, you'll probably be able to find something on the issue. Maybe JoeD can point it out or give some background. I can't at the moment 'cause I'll be late for work.

"The WB" is not a viable home for any B5 series. Remember, don't try to apply logic to Warner Brothers. It'll just give you a headache.

Before even reading the anger and frustration-filled posts in this thread, I will simply ask all to read my post in the "It's dead, Jim" thread...page four I believe.

B5 is not dead.

CE

Well, word on the street is that his recent book Illium is really good. I'm still waiting for it to emerge in paperback as it's incredibly huge (and pricey) in hardcover. There's a sequel due shortly.

And for fast, fun, military SF, David Weber's just great! The Honor Harrington series is his best, I believe.

Now that TMOS is offifically dead from JMS, I'd just like to echo GKE's words (who still looks fucked up with his new avatar BTW).

As much as I would have liked to see this movie, I dont want it just done to be done no matter who is in it or who is calling the shots. It has to be done right, and with the original characters/actors. It seems like JMS knows what he wants to do, and will keep trying.

That being said, I really have my doubts on if another opportunity will come up again. I think this was their window with the DVD sales boosting interest and all. Not sure when the opportunity will come again if ever. But as GKE said, thats OK. We have a nice complete story in B5 and thats just fine with me.

Id like to see how Crusade would have gone...but I dont think we will get that chance unless JMS decides to get involved in some novels or something. But as far as the movie front goes, I think that this was probably the best an only shot, and Im glad we didnt get anything, instead of getting something that wouldnt have lived up to the high standards B5 has.

Now that TMOS is offifically dead from JMS, I'd just like to echo GKE's words (who still looks fucked up with his new avatar BTW).

As much as I would have liked to see this movie, I dont want it just done to be done no matter who is in it or who is calling the shots. It has to be done right, and with the original characters/actors. It seems like JMS knows what he wants to do, and will keep trying.

That being said, I really have my doubts on if another opportunity will come up again. I think this was their window with the DVD sales boosting interest and all. Not sure when the opportunity will come again if ever. But as GKE said, thats OK. We have a nice complete story in B5 and thats just fine with me.

Id like to see how Crusade would have gone...but I dont think we will get that chance unless JMS decides to get involved in some novels or something. But as far as the movie front goes, I think that this was probably the best an only shot, and Im glad we didnt get anything, instead of getting something that wouldnt have lived up to the high standards B5 has.

Since JMS has the movie rights, I think he will keep trying to work a deal out with someone. If he didn't have the rights I would feel less hopeful. So don't give up on B5. I doubt that JMS will.

Tammy

Whereas I can only presume that the people who watch Andromeda (and Charmed...) just switch on the goggle box and switch off all higher brain functions.

Yup. Sigh. Remember, this is the world where Joan of Arcadia is still on the air, and Wonderfalls got cancelled after four episodes...

:(

Amy (surgically enhanced, and back to typing again!)

Whereas I can only presume that the people who watch Andromeda (and Charmed...) just switch on the goggle box and switch off all higher brain functions.

Yup. Sigh. Remember, this is the world where Joan of Arcadia is still on the air, and Wonderfalls got cancelled after four episodes...

:(

Amy (surgically enhanced, and back to typing again!)

Well, Joan of Arcadia doesn't really count, because it's about God telling someone to do his/her/it's work, which is popular these days. Doesn't matter if the show is any good or not.

Ok people, first thing I'm going to have a little rant. During this, mentally playing through the sequence at the end of Point of No Return (S4) when Susan comes tearing into John's quarters like an extremely angry Russian hurricane might give you a visualisation of my feelings. Ready? Good.

B******S! B******S! Stuck-up, uncaring, money-obsessed corporate IDIOTS! Dreamkillers! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

(takes deep breath) Ahhhhhhhhh! All better. Now, many people have been asking why it is our dear series keeps being treated like dirt, and I agree with those wh say its because it has the audacity to be different and make people use their brains. (Shock, horror!) And I say, if people want to sit and vegetate, go ahead. Your choice. But us fans should be proud the we and JMS have chosen to fight for something better. We should be proud that we've written those letters, because sometimes it's doing the right thing that matters, even if it doesn't work. Isn't it weird how we've ended up enacting so many of the values of the show? And finally,

FAITH MANAGES

Only on a B5 message board can you have a post with so much anger, frustration, and hate...yet end it with a phrase like "FAITH MANAGES" in all-caps.

Sometimes this place cracks me up.

Back