• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

When should a newbie watch "In the Beginning"?

crofootski

Regular
When should a newbie watch \"In the Beginning\"?

I have a friend who saw "some" of the B5 show years ago and I just sent her an extra set of the DVD seasons, including the first DVD, "The Gathering"/"In the Beginning". I want to tell her when to watch ItB.

Re: When should a newbie watch \"In the Beginning\"?

Ideally any time after seeing 'Atonement' in the fourth season. If seen before that, it rather spoiles that episode concerning Delenn's involvement in the Earth/Minbari war.

Jan

I think it kind of depends on whether you're still trying to "hook" them or if you'll sure they'll be watching the whole series.

In my humble opinion, ItB is some of the best B5 out there so if you need to hook them that's a great way even though it spoils season 1 and a few episodes later on. It's worth waiting if you're sure they're going to see it eventually anyway though.

What FBG said.

For what it's worth I saw some of a few episodes early on and dismissed the show but became instantly hooked after catching ItB on TNT.

I never understood why the answer to this would be anything other than "in the order it was originally released." It was broadcast after season 4, so it was watched after season 4, so you should watch it after season 4.

I got "hooked" after watching the first few episodes of season 4 myself, but that doesn't mean I'd tell a newb to watch season 4 first.

I never understood why the answer to this would be anything other than "in the order it was originally released." It was broadcast after season 4, so it was watched after season 4, so you should watch it after season 4.

I so totally agree.

Ideally any time after seeing 'Atonement' in the fourth season. If seen before that, it rather spoiles that episode concerning Delenn's involvement in the Earth/Minbari war.

ItB also has a huge spoiler for "Rising Star", in that Londo mentions the fate of Sheridan and Delenn wrt leading the Alliance. That's why it shouldn't be seen until after Season 4.

I usually watch it "chronologically" in my viewings - after season 5 minus 1 episode, after Objects at Rest, before Sleeping in Light - chronologically in regard to when the story "really" happens - the events on Centauri Prime that is, not in the flashbacks. It just fits in better there than after season 4 IMHO, but that's a matter of taste.

I'd never watch it before The Gathering. Most definitely not on first viewing .. it just makes no sense there.

Simply because if you don't watch it first you may not watch it at all. The first few episodes of season one are ok but the first time around they don't really give any sense of the grander story that is B5.

It does no good to avoid a spolier if you never watch more than four episodes. If I had not watched In the Beginning first I would not have watched the show at all. This is coming from someone who likes it enough to post on a message board.

Strange. I watched from the very beginning (The Gathering when it first aired, and then Midnight and on when the series started) and I always felt like something much bigger was going on then just the individual episodes.

Back