• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Worries; young actors, no ads...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

My last little upset with LR was the 'more action' thing JMS said. Im over that not, but am a little worried about the young actors...Babylon5 had all old, mature adults with great deep voices for yelling and talking seriousely. Will LR be good with a bunch of youngins? I loved B5 for that reason; no kids, no teens, all adults.

My second problem is the channel the movie will be playing. With JMS's comments on how the movie is nearly a feature film when it comes to quality, I get high hopes. BUT, the scifi channel attracts a limited population of fans...its a small niche and it will be hard to find people who arent B5 fans to watch the movie. I mean, even if they have ads every minute, its only on that channel. I wish, ohh I wish upon a star, that they could get ads on other channels everywhere, like FOX hehe.

Anyhow, I have yet to see ANY ads about the movie.....yeah yeah, its still early. But some more promo pics would be nice, all around the net. Keep in mind, you guys may have ads on your scifi channel....so if you do, sorry, I dont know.

PS- JOE.....will we have the show on our Canadian space station? Named, "The Space Station". THey supported B5 in the past.....ack.

------------------
It has been my observation that if someone cannot say what they mean, they can truly never mean what they say.

I wonder if the specialty channels in the States advertise themselves on each other, like the channels here in Canada do? For example, I could be watching the SPACE channel, and see an add for a show on Discovery, or Bravo, and visa versa.

Can any Americans let us know if this is the case?

------------------
Alec McClymont, 3D Artist
3D Artist - GVFX

We live for the one. We die for the one.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenGG:
Will LR be good with a bunch of youngins? I loved B5 for that reason; no kids, no teens, all adults.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the actors are hardly kids or teens.
smile.gif
Younger on the average than the B5 actors, yes, but I see nothing wrong with that. A younger character, played by a good young actor, can be just as fascinating and interesting as an older character.

Since it's JMS we're talking about here, I really don't have any worries in that department.
smile.gif

As for ads... can't comment on that, since I really don't know much about how US television works, but I'd guess they'll do at least some promotion closer to the airing date.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

Yes, one station can show an ad for another station's show. For example, SciFi recently had an ad for Farscape during Voyager, and there was an ad for Enterprise during the Farscape chain reaction or one of the daily eps last week, IIRC. Heck, I even see ads for my local news stations on SciFi.

It might be a good maneuver to, say, show an ad for Rangers during Enterprise this coming fall. However, there still may be some animosity toward B5 on the ST end. Still, it may pull in some viewers.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

SPACE hasn't signed on with WB international to air the TV-movie as yet. They say that they're waiting for more info. Hopefully that now the Sci-fi & WB execs are getting the final cut of the TV-movie that the SPACE execs will also get a copy of the final cut soon as well (along with other TV execs from around the world) so they can make their decision on whether or not to air it. The SPACE execs are big supporters of B5 (or so they say) so hopefully they'll agree to air it.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

[This message has been edited by Modane (edited September 03, 2001).]

Hey everybody, Myriam here! How is everyone? I've been trying to keep up with all the posts and answering your questions as much as possible.

I have to say that this last comment or should I say concern really caught my eye and I just wanted to speak on it briefly if I may.

Although it is true that the Legends cast is relatively younger than previous B5 casts, we are by no means kids or teenagers. Although I can only speak for myself, I can tell you that we have all lived very full lives.

I for one have experienced many ups and downs during the last 26 years and have therefore much to draw from. I believe very strongly in this project as I'm sure do the other actors. The performances are thoughful, sincere and rest assured there is nothing childish about them.

We believe in Joe and are so happy that he believes in us. Please reserve judgement until you have seen this movie. You will not be dissapointed.

Thank you all once again for caring about this project, your support means a great deal to all of us.
Talk to you soon, Myriam.
smile.gif

------------------

Really, age shouldn't be an issue, and to worry about it is a bit close-minded and even a tad insulting. It's talant that matters.

One of the theatre students here where I go to school is 23 years old, and he's one of the best actors I've seen in a long time. He spends his summers performing on Broadway (He was in Greece, for a few months, I know...) and various repitoir theatres when he's not taking classes.

As for not seeing any ads, it would be kind of pointless ot start advertising the film very heavily this long before it's due to air. I suspect we'll start seeing ads popping up around early November, and really get going around Christmas. I've also seen sci-fi ads on USA, and vise-versa, and I see several ads for fox programming on sci-fi, and sci-fi ads in a few other places, so yes, the ads will most likely be on more than just the one channel.

------------------
I'm lobbying for someplace more comfortable for our next gathering place. A nice resort with a beach. A bunch of pale skinned technomages in black robes would fit right in.

I admit I have thought for other reasons that JMS is trying for a younger crowd. The "more action" promise that I know is discussed in another thread. The talk about great special effects. And yes, the choice of a young crew all add up to me to mean JMS is hoping to attract younger viewers.

I also assumed he brought in Bruce B. for the same reason. When I saw "Tron" suddenly replace the captain, I thought "he's going for a younger audience here". I don't know if I was right or wrong, I just know that B5 kept getting BETTER AND BETTER!
laugh.gif

And I doubt JMS will stop using older actors as guest stars, possibly even later recurring roles (like Marcus and Morden, etc, etc).

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I also assumed he brought in Bruce B. for the same reason. When I saw "Tron" suddenly replace the captain, I thought "he's going for a younger audience here". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce Boxleitner and Michael O'Hare are about the same age, so I doubt this was what they were thinking. Also, the people who were kids when Tron was in theaters weren't that young any more by 1995, and Boxleitner was probably recognized by more people from Scarecrow and Mrs. King and Kenny Roger's Gambler TV movies than from Disney's little SF flick.

(I saw Tron when it was in the theater and had no recollection of Boxleitner even being in it.)

What (mostly Warner Bros.) was going for with Boxleitner was a more recognizable face with a high TV "Q" rating. (If you think youth was the main attribute JMS was looking for, consider that Robert ("Gen. Hague") Foxworth was the second-choice if Boxleitner turned them down, or that James Earl Jones was among the actors on the "short list" to be the new commander.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I've also seen sci-fi ads on USA, and vise-versa<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this example really doesn't count, since USA Networks owns The Sci-Fi Channel.
smile.gif
(As A&E owns The History Channel and Discovery owns The Learning Channel.) Cross-promotion "in the family" isn't exactly the same thing.

But there are ads do sometimes cross station lines. You'll never see a CBS network show advertised during an NBC network show, but a CBS affiliate might run an ad for a cable channel, which they don't really see as direct competition, in off-network hours. Mostly they take advertising for shows they think will pull audience away from the other networks at a given time, but which won't interest the audience for whatever show they're running then.
smile.gif

Also a certain amount of the advertising in each hour of television is local - inserted by the local broadcast channel, cable operator or by the satellite service. (Local cable companies have been known to squeeze in "extra" commercials before retransmitting episodes locally, stepping on the shows themselves. There were frequent complaints about this when B5 first ran on TNT, although I never saw it happen on my cable service.) So the locally sold ads can be for all sorts of products or programs, although the network probably can veto some things. Independent stations running reruns of SF shows are free to take ads from anyone willing to pay for them.

You probably won't see Rangers promos during reruns of the Trek shows on TNN, but they will likely turn up in a few other places. And other TV stations are the only way to reach viewers. TNT did billboards and side-of-bus signs, radio ads and magazine advertisements for Babylon 5 when it picked up the show. It also heavily promoted B5 during the kick-off for its 1998 TV season, which generated some press.

There are advantages to being on a "niche" network. Granted, fewer people are apt to see the show, but fewer people saw it on TNT than would have on a broadcast network. The main thing is that SFC's audience is predisposed to like science fiction, as the TNT or even NBC audience isn't. You also don't need to draw as many viewers to be considered a hit on Sci-Fi as you would on a "bigger" basic cable channel, much less a network.

Sci-Fi was happy when B5 was getting .7 and .8 ratings (roughly 700,000 to 800,000 viewers) in its umpteenth go-'round. Their best original series do around a 1.3 or 1.4. Those are numbers that would get you cancelled in a hearbeat at TNT, much less NBC or Fox.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited September 03, 2001).]

James Earl Jones? .... Wow.. I don't know if I could have handled that. Not that I dislike him, but I think some actors are just *too* recognizable and it makes it hard for people (me anyway) to get into their character. It's the same reason I don't like Kevin Sorbo in Andromida, and will probably feel the same way about Scott Bachula in Enterprise. -- I'll look at them and see Hercules, or Sam Beckett.

I think really good actors or actors who play characters who have become very recognnizable sort of work against themselves in that way.

Tom Hanks is one of the few more notable actors that I don't have this problem with, and Bruce Willis to a lesser exten.....

------------------
I'm lobbying for someplace more comfortable for our next gathering place. A nice resort with a beach. A bunch of pale skinned technomages in black robes would fit right in.

Derian, its funny you say that. I used to think I would have that problem with actors, but it has never surfaced.

That was one of the reasons I didn't watch Stargate at first, because RDA "was" MacGyver (sp? its been a long time). Stargate SG-1 is now my favorite show currently in production, and I think of RDA as O'Neill (TWO Ls...hehe) now although I still enjoy him when I see the occasional MacGyver on WGN.

I hever had to get past Sorbo as Herc and he makes a pretty good starship captain.

Bakula is one of the few reasons I will probably check out Enterprise, and though I remember him as Beckett, I wonder how he will portray the new captain.

Heck even Bruce was the Scarecrow, but I quickly accepted him as Sheridan.

I think James Earl Jones would have been interesting, and I would have loved his voice for some of those speeches, though i don't know if I could see him with Delenn...hehe.

I think actors being thought of as characters is in part due to their acting and their writing, and when they can portray someone else just as well it is a good thing, and we should always give them that chance to bring the new character to life.

As for Bruce Willis, it would have been interesting seeing him and Jerry Doyle together seeing as how so many people think Doyle and Willis look alike. (I know he wasn't up for the role, just thought it funny Derian mentioned him.)

SmG

------------------
The Truth IS.....

OUT of fashion.

[This message has been edited by ShadowmageGalen (edited September 03, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>As for Bruce Willis, it would have been interesting seeing him and Jerry Doyle together seeing as how so many people think Doyle and Willis look alike. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I read that one of Doyle's first jobs when he came out to Hollywood was a guest shot on Moonlighting. I believe he played David Addison's brother or cousin.
smile.gif

I think you just have to watch an actor's work and let that determine how you see him. I think the good ones can overcome earlier roles that they've played - if the audience will let them. I don't think too many B5 fans "Chekhov" when they see Walter Koenig now.
laugh.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I watched ST II: The Wrath of Khan today, and the first thing I thought was "what the frell is Bester doing on the Enterprise?"

No joke...

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Thanks Joe. I did think that JMS brought a bigger name in to attract a "hipper" audience. One way or another, the choice worked out magnificently.

I admit, Bruce Boxleitner and Walter Koenig seemed to fit into their roles perfectly, and I remembered Bruce as Tron, and Walter as Chekov. For some reason, the actor who played Zack took me about 2 or 3 shows to warm up to. I guess I just didn't really like "Greese".

Anyhow, as I said, in the final analysis, JMS won me over to his casting choices each and every time. My main hope, with all of this, is really that the Science Fiction Channel will be able to hit a balance with Warner Brothers.

The worst news I've heard yet for the series is the bit about WB not wanting to pay much for their series, and SciFi not wanting to pay much for series it does not own.

I shudder to think "Rangers" could be lost because of a bunch of pencil pushing bickering. Forget everything else.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

I have to admit that I don't like a lot of the series that are for younger audiences, but it's probably the writing. If anyone can make younger characters interesting, JMS can.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

The so-called younger actors on Rangers aren't really that young. They seem to be in their mid or late twenties, I think. The reason why I have never got hooked on either Roswell or Buffy is because so many of the cast are or were teenagers. Being part of the more mature audience I do prefer characters I can relate to.

However, in the end it comes down to the writing and the acting. That was one of the things I liked about B5, but don't forget it could easily have turned off some of the younger members of the audience.

------------------

When I watch any show or movie, I don't CARE about the ages of the actors.

I care about the Story they are portraying, whether it stays true to its basic premise, whether the actors do a Good job, whether the writers have the smarts not to insult my intelligence, etc.

I can enjoy the TV Buffy. They managed to take a really piece of Crap movie and find a good, consistent way to use the premise that is entertaining without taking itself too seriously.

The Chronicle is another. It's pure tongue in cheek. And the people doing it seem to recognize (so far) that the way to do Comedy is not to jab the audience in the ribs with an elbow after every joke, but to assume they can figure it out on their own.

Maybe it's not earth shaking. It gives an hour of light amusement without trpiing the bullshit detector. These days, for TV, that's above average.
tongue.gif

JMS has shown us over a 5 year period that he can give us Terrific TV. B5 is so far out on the Good end of the curve that it has no competition. I'm sure he'll continue that tradition with Rangers.

Faith Manages.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Your comments on age are... at best... narrow-minded. Why should age be a factor in quality of acting?

What I do see as a strength is that JMS only recruits people who have worked in theatre, which to me is the factor, not the age.

If JMS said there's gonna be a talking cat I'd accept it, because he's shown continually that he doesn't take easy routes, that he doesn't got for cliches. I think he's earned our trust hasn't he?

------------------
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it." -- Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair-gel I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away." -- Spike, as Angel, in Angel

Sounds like your approach is to look for things to worry about Warren. The ones you've selected on this board are, imo, non-starters.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenGG:
My last little upset with LR was the 'more action' thing JMS said. Im over that not, but am a little worried about the young actors...Babylon5 had all old, mature adults with great deep voices for yelling and talking seriousely. Will LR be good with a bunch of youngins? I loved B5 for that reason; no kids, no teens, all adults.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you seriously saying that young actors are incapable of deep performances? If so, what's your basis for saying that?

I presume you consider yourself capable of talking seriously. How old were you when that skill was acquired?

LR will be good if it has a solid and cohesive story, intriguing characters, and strong production values. I see nothing in any of the news items reported that indicates any lack of the above. Quite the opposite in fact.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>My second problem is the channel the movie will be playing. With JMS's comments on how the movie is nearly a feature film when it comes to quality, I get high hopes. BUT, the scifi channel attracts a limited population of fans...its a small niche and it will be hard to find people who arent B5 fans to watch the movie. I mean, even if they have ads every minute, its only on that channel. I wish, ohh I wish upon a star, that they could get ads on other channels everywhere, like FOX hehe.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you base this opinion on? SciFi is indeed a niche network, but it's been increasing its market share, and making some significant splash with original programming.

I imagine promotion will focus on closer to the airdate. Why get your viewers all excited about a movie you're not airing for four months. You want them excited about what's airing RIGHT now...

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

[This message has been edited by Technomage Roanna (edited September 04, 2001).]

I really don't care how old the actors are. Give me a good show and I'll be happy. Give me a good show with JMS at helm and I'll be ecstatic.

------------------
"Thin air? Why is it always thin air? Never fat air, chubby air, mostly-fit-could-stand-lose-a-few-pounds air?"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back