• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Do Red Shirts really get killed that often on "Trek"?

Fun. But not nearly as accurate as it claims to be :p

I haven't bothered to verify all of the statistics, but the claim that no Enterprise crewmembers sans red shirt die in season three is definitely false.

That Which Survives

Very run-of-the-mill story of the third season, in that it .. completely sucks.

In this story, Lieutenant D'Amato has the joy of joining the away team, and to everyone's surprise, he winds up toast.

In a blue shirt.

HAH! I'm much more pathetic than the makers of this study. :p

Well Mr Leslie played by Eddie Paskey seemed to buck the trend, he was on-screen loads and even came back to life once !

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Leslie

According to that article, he could do everything on the ship himself as well. What a guy!!

During the mission to Argus X on stardate 3619.2, Leslie was attacked by the dikironium cloud creature and presumed dead. Even though the creature drained all the red blood corpuscles from his body, he recovered from the assault. In fact, by stardate 3620.7, he began walking along the corridors of the Enterprise and returned to active duty by stardate 3715.3. (TOS: "Obsession")

Having never paid much attention to the airing order of the episodes I always assumed "Obsession" was Leslie's last episode. There was also the actor listed as Lt Galloway, who was killed by the deranged Captain Tracey in "The Omega Glory". He reappeared the following season as Lt Johnson in "Day of the Dove"

I wonder what possessed someone to go that in-depth on the subject. I will say that I would have thought that there would have been way more redshirt deaths than that.

Another thing that always bothered me. Why did the colours swap round for TNG ? (i.e. Red becomes Command, Security becomes Gold...)

As the data shows, Captain Kirk "making contact" with alien women has an impact on the crew's survival. The red-shirt death rate is higher when a fight breaks out than when Kirk meets a woman and a fight breaks out.

Science continues to discover new ways in which Capt Kirk is awesome.

Another thing that always bothered me. Why did the colours swap round for TNG ? (i.e. Red becomes Command, Security becomes Gold...)

Re-imaging. Of course, the constant re-imaging in the TNG-DS9-VOY era makes Starfleet look a wee bit silly. At the beginning of TNG, the uniforms are all new, as any flashbacks before that have the TOS movie uniforms (that had been around for a century) .. so two years later .. new uniforms. Five years later .. new uniforms. Four years later .. new uniforms! Starfleet is a fashion whore.

B5's Crusade and the magical shifting uniforms...

What's up with the uniforms, yea? :LOL:

I sense a Romulan conspiracy here...

EarthForce seems to have kept theirs with the off-center leather panel for at least 30 years, so they're pretty stable. (Good-looking uniform, too.)

Yeah, those first season TNG suits looked really bad.

I liked the movie era Star Trek uniforms, which really inspired the B5 stuff.

Kaaaahn!!!!

Science continues to discover new ways in which Capt Kirk is awesome.
inspcaptkirkzd1.png

Back