• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR put back, again

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

shocked.gif

Does this not worry anyone that recent criticism in AICN might be true? (Not to hash the merits of the review again.) I'm sure that Sci Fi doesn't want to compete with the glut of new genre stuff that's out this fall and winter (Enterprise, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings), but pushing the date back further and further seems to say that Sci Fi has "no confidence" in the show. (Now, if they REALLY liked jms, they would have let him finish Crusade.)
wink.gif

------------------

Hmmm, I was under the impression that it wasn't Sci-Fi channel that handled Crusade?

Please enlighten me.

/MW

------------------

Well, as some people here have pointed out, Jan 19 might actually be a better date to get relatively good ratings than the post-New-Year's-Day of Jan 2?

If that's true, then it could just show that SciFi channel wants to get as good ratings for the show as possible.

I'm just being optimistic here, but pushing the premier date back by just over two weeks doesn't sound too discouraging to me.
Of course, I have no idea what the actual reasoning of SciFi is...

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge

Correct, but it would have been nice if Sci Fi had bought the rights to Crusade, and finished telling that story *before* we moved on to a new series. I'm sure that wasn't possible/practical, what with actors moving on, sets being struck, etc. (Tho' didn't I hear for the longest time that the Crusade sets were in storage and that Warners was hopeful that eventually the series would be picked up again? Probably just wishful thinking.)

------------------

What worries me far more is this recent tendency of new members posting negative speculation on a movie-of-the-week that HAS NOT EVEN BEEN SHOWN YET.

Have we lost perspective here? I am looking forward to seeing "Rangers". It might be great, it might be terrible. But I'm going to wait until I see it to praise or trash it.

Why are there so many new posters here that seem to have a negative spin on a movie that has not even aired yet? It's very strange. Is it typical messageboard behavior? Did "Enterprise" go through this shortly before it's pilot aired? I honestly don't know, since this is the only message board I read or post to.

But to praise or criticize a show that hasn't even aired yet would be like praising or criticizing a class or teacher before classes start. It really tells us more about the person speaking than B5LR, I think.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

What fun would it be to have a board before a movie/series is aired if not to speculate and debate oppinions?
smile.gif

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this new film (and series hopefully) as well as I look forward to seeing the other B5 movies and the crusade series
smile.gif

/MW

------------------

Why so many "downer" posts on these lists? Not that I want to encourage any more of them, but that seems fairly easy: the B5 universe and it's fans have had a rough time for a long time.

JMS had to fight epic battles to get it on the air and keep it going. It almost got cancelled, it was continually moved around or premepted. TNT wouldn't leave Crusade alone and let JMS do what he wanted with it. Too many Trek fans are agressively hostile to B5 for some reason and the public perception of B5 shows is largely formed by the above.

People just get frustrated that such a rich, vibrant, intelligent and entertaining universe just doesn't ever seem to catch any breaks. "Enterprise" has/has it's share of naysayers, but there was never a doubt it would get and stay on the air. Did the Enterpise pilot sit in the can for 6 months before the airing? Was the studio/network saying they'd have to wait and see how it did before committing to a series?

A lot of people just get frustrated at seeing Trek and other shows that are only as good (or worse) than B5/Crusade/B5LR thrive because of huge built in advantages while thier favorite show has to struggle against every barrier imagineable. You never notice how many stop lights you keep getting stuck at until you're in a hurry to get somewhere....

I agree, it's really too early to be getting your emotions hit big valleys and peaks over the movie; but it's also human nature for your passions to produce these extremes...
you can't everything - where would you put it?

------------------
-Devin Barber

After what TNT and Warner did to the previous series, B5 and Crusade, who wouldn't be paranoid! Lets hope that this paranoia is for naught.

------------------

Leaping to conclusions and taking wild leaps of speculation has gone on for some time as it pertains to B5:LOTR. Frankly, I dunno how good, or bad, it will be but the moves sci-fi has made (or lack thereof) have been puzzling. I don't know how many of you remember the infamous message from our president some months ago predicting that the official announcement of an on-going series was coming soon. As stated, that was several months ago and we're still waiting.

Frankly, I think you have a right to be concerned. Not only about the quality of the movie, but also about the super-geniuses in charge at the sci-fi channel.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaxb5ranger:
Why so many "downer" posts on these lists? Not that I want to encourage any more of them, but that seems fairly easy: the B5 universe and it's fans have had a rough time for a long time.

JMS had to fight epic battles to get it on the air and keep it going. It almost got cancelled, it was continually moved around or premepted. TNT wouldn't leave Crusade alone and let JMS do what he wanted with it. Too many Trek fans are agressively hostile to B5 for some reason and the public perception of B5 shows is largely formed by the above.

People just get frustrated that such a rich, vibrant, intelligent and entertaining universe just doesn't ever seem to catch any breaks. "Enterprise" has/has it's share of naysayers, but there was never a doubt it would get and stay on the air. Did the Enterpise pilot sit in the can for 6 months before the airing? Was the studio/network saying they'd have to wait and see how it did before committing to a series?

A lot of people just get frustrated at seeing Trek and other shows that are only as good (or worse) than B5/Crusade/B5LR thrive because of huge built in advantages while thier favorite show has to struggle against every barrier imagineable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY!

The trouble is that downer posts can be self-fulfilling, like the stock market, the economy, etc.

That's one of the reasons why I can't stand threads that have gloom and doom in the title. e.g.:

"Why Rangers Might Fail - Analysis"

"B5LR put back, again"

"US B5LR air date put back--again"

"Ain’t It Cool News slams new B5LR telemovie Reviewer proclaims 'it is really bad' "

No matter what the content of the thread says, the gloom and doom in the title line is permanent.
frown.gif
mad.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 02, 2001).]

It has ben a while since I posted, alot due to bumping into spoilers, but mostly the negativity. As a reminder to all...

Even the worst of B5, is better than 99% of TV. JMS's direct involvement in the writing makes those odds increase to 99.9% or better.

I will be surprized if it is even remotely 'bad'. I will be talking it up with folks that I know who are Trek fans. (Give them the 'I watched Enterprises first, the least you can do is....') Besided, Trek fans are Sci Fi Fans, most are b5 haters due to the threat to thier livelyhood. Seeing as most B5 fans dont live in their parents basement, (or so I have heard), I hope we carry more credibility.

Note: even bad publicity is good publicity!!!

------------------

I think the overwhelming majority of people on this site, including myself, have adopted a philosophy that says, "We like the cast, we like what we've heard about the film, and we've had a lot of trouble with B5 airing in the past, so we're being paranoid devil's advocates."

I don't think a single person on this site that hasn't seen the movie is outrightly negative to it. At least that I've seen.

I want it to succeed. I want to see Dylan Neal and the others on my television every week for the next five-odd years. Even if the movie's a little off - because it's a backdoor pilot, not a theatrical release.

And that's all there is to it.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

Just to put things into perspective, I also want world peace.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

doesn't worry me. the pilot isn't the franchise's strong point anyways. the series as a whole is.
smile.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

JMS said there was just ONE note about the telemovie, and a very minor one at that. If they were unhappy with it they would have had it rewritten, or would have been complaining like hell. They're paying the money, do you think they'd have been quiet? No. They'd have been asking for revisions. But, there's been no revisions. It's done and dusted. They're just picking the best slot for it so that they're investment pays off.

Why didn't they pick up Crusade? Well, can you blame them? If SCI FI want a B5 series, they want their own series--not some cast off. And that's what Crusade would be, second hand goods to be honest.

KoshN, you push my limits and piss me off, you really do. Not content with your saber rattling in the other thread(s), you now have to back track and start having a go at my other news items. How do you suggest I rewrite the news item on Ain't it Cool News's review? Perhaps something like this is more to your liking:

"Great news! B5LR gets really bad review at AICN! So bad in fact, only a few of us sad B5 fans will watch it. At least it will remain ours, and not be contaminated by non-B5 fans. A series might not happen, but well... wah hey!"

I actually have some good stuff to post soon, some more upbeat stuff. Original content, more about the production of the telemovie. But people like you can't wait can you? There's been a couple of bad reviews, but it's all panic stations for you. Instead of just saying "Well, that's life, we'll ride it out, we'll be over this soon."

Maybe I shouldn't even bother posting stuff, as it'll be too negative and you've known it all for months.

------------------
"You're such a gentleman. Too bad I'm not a lady." - Max, Dark Angel

"X5-599. I've got a heart for you." - Zack, Dark Angel

Too much worry for me.

I need Prozac, we all need Prozac!

------------------
"Get out of my way, or by God I'll shove you out the airlock!"
- Jeffrey Sinclair

Who said Prozac? I have Prozac.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

I think the TRUE B5 fans will have patience. I for one have high hopes for this. While it isn't B5, it is JMS, and hopefully it will be great. All we can do is wait, and hope for the best. Negativity isn't helping anything. Anything worth having is worth waiting for.
smile.gif

------------------
"Ah Mr. Garibaldi have you met my diplomatic staff, just arrived from the homeworld? This is it! Yes Vir, what is it?"- Ambassador Londo Mollari, Midnight on the Firing Line

I'm gonna say something positive. While watching the Sci-Fi Channel today, I saw a "SciFi Pictures" commercial on which was placed some footage of Rangers. And this footage wasn't in the trailer.

Just a few seconds, but enough to whet my appetite.

Less than a second, but I saw more gunnery pod footage and about three-quarters of a second of Warren.

Just for you people wondering when the promotion would start.

Here it comes.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

I also saw an ad for the Sci-Fi Pictures original movie "Epoch," which will air November 24.

So, about a month beforehand, we should start seeing TV ads for Rangers.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
-f. scott fitzgerald

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back