• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Life and Death for crusade

Cleron

Regular
Only 13 episodes were made of crusade, theres been rumors JMS might start it up again in the future, i hope so but the reality at the moment is "She dead jim" "avoids flying books"
tongue.gif

so what I want to know is do you have ANY hopes at all of Crusade being revived in some way shape or form be it from Books to full out teli movie

as for me, i feel the best chances are with a teli movie or it being intergrated into the ranger seriese "if" there is one..

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cleron:
so what I want to know is do you have ANY hopes at all of Crusade being revived in some way shape or form be it from Books to full out teli movie

as for me, i feel the best chances are with a teli movie or it being intergrated into the ranger seriese "if" there is one..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A tele-movie would not be enough, and neither would be integration into the Rangers series. My hope is that Rangers will revitalize interest in B5 and Crusade.

I'd like to see some supplementary episodes filmed to complete the first season (at the very least: To the Ends of the Earth, Value Judgements, and End of the Line, and then a new second season.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I'm with KoshN.

Rangers may yet open the door for Crusade's rebirth.

JMS has said books would not be a viable option. A single tele-movie may clear up a plot thread or two, but the overall story would remain far from told.

Now, if they filmed and aired Ends of the Earth and End of the Line as a two hour tele-film, I think it would spark renewed interest.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

I wouldn't be happy with a tele-movie at all. And, I don't think it would be the right way to go.

What I hope is that Rangers becomes successful and then SciFi decides to take on Crusade as well.

Then, we can point at TNT and laugh, saying "Look what you lost, you silly bastards!"

------------------
"The universe is already mad, anything else would be redundant."
Rising Star | blackstar@welivefortheone.b5lr.com

My preferred scenario would involve Rangers and Crusade as separate series.

Pop me some popcorn, baby, we're stayin' in...
wink.gif

Though I confess, I think it's likelier that Crusade plots and themes will crossover into a Rangers (I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE) series.

Still worth popping some popcorn for...

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

even if it did, that would mean recasting for a lot of the positions
frown.gif

i couldent live with out a few originals like max it just wouldent "feel" right at least to me it wouldent

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cleron:
even if it did, that would mean recasting for a lot of the positions
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

The timeline of Ranger is set up perfectly for Crusade to be started up in season two or three of Rangers. This would be just when Rangers proved itself, inspiring enough confidence for a second series. Funny how that works, isn't it.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
The timeline of Ranger is set up perfectly for Crusade to be started up in season two or three of Rangers. This would be just when Rangers proved itself, inspiring enough confidence for a second series. Funny how that works, isn't it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be one of those synchonicities.

That would be awesome -- as long as they could get at least most of the original actors back.

I agree that books wouldn't do it justice -- it would take way too many of them to tell the stories JMS had planned. On top of that, Crusade didn't seem like a single story line that could be nicely trilogized, unlike the storylines of the three trilogies so far.

-g

------------------

Necessary Crusade Characters:
Captain Gideon
Galen
Dureena
Max

------------------
"I've stood here before in the pouring rain
With the world turning circles 'round my brain
I guess I'm always hoping that you'll end this reign
But it's my destiny to be the king of pain." -Sting "King of Pain"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sinclair:
I think that if Crusade were to be redone, in any way, shape, or form, it would require all of the original cast members. I don't think the interest for it would be that high if some roles were to be recast. Getting the originals all back together would be hard, but not impossible.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't want to see any recasting, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if Dr. Chambers or Trace were mysteriously reassigned. Nothing agaist the actors, those two just didn't grab me. (Granted, they weren't given much of an opportunity to grab me.)

B5 has a history of "disposable" characters:
Takashima, Keffer, Talia, to name a few. Even Sinclair.

Er-- no offense, Sinclair.
smile.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

None taken, taichidave. I know exactly what you mean. I too could see a character or two get reassigned or somewhat to explain their disappearance, while bringing in a new character or two to take their place. Hell, they did it with Sinclair, and B5 was still a great show.

------------------
"I welcome you and present this place to you as a gift. I am called Valen, and we have much work ahead of us."
-Valen, War Without End Pt.2

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Must be one of those synchonicities.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly.
smile.gif
When JMS had to decide on exactly when Rangers should take place he did the math and picked late 2265 precisely because it would put season two of a possible series in 2267. That gives him enough time to ramp up production on Crusade if there is any interest, and put both series in the same time frame (for cross-overs and the like.)

As for reviving the show and recasting: Depends on what happens with the actors. At the moment only Marjean Holden (Beastmaster) has a long-term series commitment that I'm aware of. (I've heard that David Allen Brooks (Max) is doing a soap, but while his website mentions several, it doesn't indicate that he's currently on one. Anyway, soap contracts are easier for actors to get out of.)

If most or all of the cast is available, willing and affordable, obviously that's the way to go. If most or all of them aren't, WB and Sci-Fi have a decision to make: continue the story with some kind of "transition" episode or movie introducing new characters, or start over from scratch and take the existing 13 shows out of circulation.

WB has long since made its money back on those shows, so it could afford to lose them. If the series were reborn and go a full five season there would be 110 epsiodes of the "new cast" and only 13 of the original one. They'd pretty quickly be reduced to a footnote in the show's history, and only a fraction of the people who eventually watched Crusade would ever have seen them.

Like Pete Best*, the original cast of the Gilligan's Island pilot, the first two Love Boat casts and the Gene Rodennberry pilot Genesis II** (which was filmed twice under different titles with totally different casts), they'd soon be forgotten.

While I liked the Crusade cast, I'm liked the characters more, and wouldn't have a problem accepting new actors in the roles. I hadn't seen most of the Crusade actors before the series, and they quickly won me over. No reason another new group couldn't do the same.

Regards,

Joe

* The original drummer for The Beatles (pace George Harrison)

** The lead character in both was named Dylan Hunt, though, and he was a man frozen in time and returned to a strangely changed future - so arguably Andromeda is the same idea recycled. (Not that it was terribly original to begin with. Buck Rogers mined the same vein in pulp fiction comic books and on television beginning a long time ago.)

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

There was a time when I really cared what happened to Crusade but now it doesn't matter to me whether they incorporate it with the Rangers series or start a new series with a completely new cast.

I had hoped that Crusade would incorporate some of the actors from Babylon 5 at some time during the five year run, but the more time that passes the more unlikely that seems.

I'll be perfectly happy to see either series up and running.
smile.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

I don't get the Pete Best comparison with George Harrison. Ringo Star was the Beatle's drummer. George Harrison recently died of cancer, but he was the lead guitarist for the Beatles. Not the drummer.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by referring to George instead of Ringo.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I think typing drummer was a brainfart. And yes I meant that the coincidence was not really a coincidence but purposely done. Not surprising coming from the guy who filmed in both regular and wide screen(except for cgi) in anticipation of hdtv.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
I don't get the Pete Best comparison with George Harrison. Ringo Star was the Beatle's drummer. George Harrison recently died of cancer, but he was the lead guitarist for the Beatles. Not the drummer.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by referring to George instead of Ringo.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete Best was the Beatles' original drummer. When they got their first recording contract, it was (essentially if not officially) on the condition that they'd get rid of him. George Martin (the record producer, not the SF/F author
smile.gif
) brought in a guy named (IIRC) Andy White to drum on their first recording session, and Ringo came shortly thereafter.

Pace is simply Latin for Peace. As in "Rest In".

------------------
-- Marty
Daylight is good at arriving at the right time
No, it's not always going to be this grey
All things must pass... [G. Harrison]

I wasn't comparing Pete Best to George Harrison, nor was "drummer" a brain fart. I just mentioned the Beatles, and thought of Harrison's recent passing. "Pace" means "peace" and is sometimes used as a kind of blessing when referring to the dead.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Not surprising coming from the guy who filmed in both regular and wide screen (except for cgi) in anticipation of hdtv.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And even the CGI was designed to be trimmed top and bottom in case Warner Bros. didn't come up with the money to re-render it in widescreen. (I've done a/b comparisons of tapes from the SFC widescreen version and PTEN or TNT broadcasts of the 4:3 edition and frankly think the CGI looks better - in terms of shot composition - when matted to 1.77:1 than it did in the original verison.)

Can't wait for that anamorphic widescreen In the Beginning.
smile.gif
I'm going to hit a couple of stores tomorrow and hope that somebody broke street date and put it out early. (I have a copy coming from Amazon.com, but they don't ship until the official release date, and I don't feel like waiting. Besides, I plan to give a couple of copies away as presents this year, so I may as well buy my personal copy early.) Finally I just think I owe myself a small indulgence at this point. I've had to be so budget-concious for the past year, and have had to pass up literally dozens of great DVD releases that I feel like I should be able to "cut loose" to the tune of $15 on one small luxury now that I'm working again.
cool.gif

Regards,
cool.gif

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

"Pace" means "peace" and is sometimes used as a kind of blessing when referring to the dead

I'm sorry, Joe. I didn't know that. Actually, I should as an ex-Catholic, shouldn't I? I don't quite know why, but it does sound familiar. Maybe "Ben Hur" or some Roman epic.

Sorry I am so easily confused.
crazy.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I think that if Crusade were to be redone, in any way, shape, or form, it would require all of the original cast members. I don't think the interest for it would be that high if some roles were to be recast. Getting the originals all back together would be hard, but not impossible.

I think the best way to reintroduce Crusade would be for a two-hour telemovie with something major happening just after the last completed episode. To encourage new viewers, it should be more like an X-Files movie, where you wouldn't have to have seen any of the series to get a feel for what's going on. After the telemovie, then reintroduce it as a series.

IMHO, this should all be done once the Rangers series (hopefully) has taken off and is doing well.

Anyway, this is just my take on it.

------------------
"I welcome you and present this place to you as a gift. I am called Valen, and we have much work ahead of us."
-Valen, War Without End Pt.2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back