• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Prevue Magazine

Yes...I saw the demonstration of "Bruce Lee's" "ONE INCH PUNCH" on a biography!

It was pretty fascinating to see!

Apparently, Bruce Lee was always being challenged and so-called "Debunked"...some say that he was not that good at martial arts!

That is a load of crap...There have been many accounts from friends...who witnessed these challenges...and Bruce pretty much made pulp of these idiots! I heard that one of these incidents was caught on film...and Bruce made the person who filmed it, take the footage out of the camera and destroy it...

Interesting!

"All the time, people come up to me and say...Hey Bruce...are you really that good?"
"I say, well, if I tell you I am good, you will say that I am boasting...If I tell you I am no good...you know that I am lying" (then he laughs)

Cheers! -Warren-

------------------

Partially agree about bruce lee, but I have heard of something along those lines but not the same. Hard to explain but basically it has to do with psi ability, certain types of meditation that are dangerous that involve the spiritual side. Such as remembering past lives. Not my kind of thing so I wouldn't know if it is true or not but Bruce was a fanatic about all types of attack/defense and surely had studied psi abilities. Which as I said can be dangerous, perhaps he pushed himself too far one day.

As for the one inch punch, I have it on my hard drive, it wasn't 8 feet or anything... the guy was sent into a chair waiting just behind him. It is impressive but many others can perform the one inch punch. Although perhaps we should create a new topic to discuss Bruce, would love to talk about him more.
smile.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

Anyone who has done qi (chi) work for awhile knows that the one inch punch is possible.

My sifu's sifu, Bow Sim Mark, is just under five feet tall, but she easily knocked me over with a slight press. (I'm about six feet tall, 200 pounds.)

If she hadn't been doing martial arts for 40 years or so, I'd have been embarrassed!
smile.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taichidave:
Anyone who has done qi (chi) work for awhile knows that the one inch punch is possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is entirely possible to send people a few feet backwards apparently.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
My sifu's sifu, Bow Sim Mark, is just under five feet tall, but she easily knocked me over with a slight press. (I'm about six feet tall, 200 pounds.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Impressive. Do you call female sifus simo?

From what I gather the 'One inch punch' is the opposite of the 'immovable master' trick (one is directing force from the ground, the other is directing force into the ground).

BTW, what style of tai-chi do you study, taichidave?

Regards

------------------
'I MA DARKE AND MYZSTERIOUS LIEK JaY C DENTAN!!1!' - Corn Hat
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

I'm always told that one who practices martial arts doesn't fight unless he has to. By that reasoning, Bruce Lee should have never accepted any "challenges." He should have just blown them all off.

Then again, I'm guessing that different martial art styles have different philosophies attached to them, so maybe he practiced one that let him fight people in non-self defense situations.

Ninjitsu, if I'm not mistaken, has no qualms about that sort of thing.

If I ever studied martial arts, I'd pick the kind that would let me kick ass at will. Defense only? Hah, where's the fun in that?

I'm sure people challenged Bruce all the time. The same thing happened to Mike Tyson when he was in jail. They had to seperate him from all the other prisoners. When he first got locked up, people thought that everyone would be so afraid of him. Not so. Everyone wanted to fight him, it was very problematic. They had to keep him away from the other prisoners for his own safety.

I do a lot of stupid things, but I don't think picking fights with Bruce Lee or Mike Tyson would ever be on my To Do list.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

AFAIK, most martial arts disciplines don't say "Nver fight".

Rather, they echo Sheridan's Father:

"Never Start a Fight. But, always finish it."

IOW, the idea is that, if you Know you can winn, you don't need to go around proving it.
Or being a Bully.

But, if someone persists in making an Ass of himself, there's no oblicgation to preserve His ego.

As far as the "Tyson" thing, professional fighters in general are forbidden, by law in most states, from fighting with anyone outside the ring.
Because of the training a pro usually has, particularly a heavyweight, it's too easy for them to break bones or even Kill someone.

I once met Joe Frazier. World Champ Heavyweight at one point.
He traveled with 4 Bodyguards because there was Always some idiot who wanted to take a poke at him.
Most of them just wanted bragging rights so they could claim to have Fought the Champ.
They, the less than totally brain dead ones, at least, know they have no chance of Winning.
They just want to DO it.

The bodyguard's job is to make sure they never get a chance to throw the first punch.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nukemall:
BTW, what style of tai-chi do you study, taichidave?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In terms of forms, I study the standardized forms created by the Chinese National Athletic Commission in the 1950's. The Combined Form, for example, samples a bit from all major styles of tai chi: Chen,
Yang, etc.

My lineage, though, is Fu style, by way of Fu Wing Fay.

You can read about Bow Sim Mark at her school's website:

Tai Chi Arts Assoc.

I'm part of a satillite school in PA.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

I supppose that since kung-fu was practiced by Buddhist monks, the code of conduct for kung-fu practioners is such. I'm not sure about other arts. Anyway, according to the link below, Bruce Lee was always a bit of a trouble maker (he had his name on a list of local delinquints in HK).
http://www.wingchunkuen.com/yipman/leesiulung01.shtml

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Ninjitsu, if I'm not mistaken, has no qualms about that sort of thing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably why ninjas were highly despised back in feudal Japan.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> If I ever studied martial arts, I'd pick the kind that would let me kick ass at will. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being contraversial (well, within martial arts circles), but that art would be WingTsun - it is fast, direct and has only six movement sets.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Defense only? Hah, where's the fun in that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not getting raped in a prison
laugh.gif

Regards

------------------
'I MA DARKE AND MYZSTERIOUS LIEK JaY C DENTAN!!1!' - Corn Hat
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

A boxer hates to fight outside the ring. There is no hand protection, and boxers, trained to hit with a clenched fist, have a tendancy to break bones. Hit a good boxing stable, and watch them wrap, tape, and secure the hands.

As a note to Warren, in 1981 I used to watch "Starblazers" at breakfast. I loved the perfection in the animation. I have been an anime fan ever since. If anyone likes the combination of decent plot and incredible special effects, try Macros Plus, (4 parts, 2 per disk), the fighter combat is so wild, fast and exciting. There are things that would make a cinamatographer have nightmares if he had to shoot it for real.

Give it a try, Anime is surpisingly cool.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back