• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A message from Christopher Pike

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:

TNT wanted to interfere in the Writing, even though JMS had a Contract that guaranteed HIM the final say.

It wasn't Cancelled, per se.
They aired all the episodes that were filmed.
They just never filmed any More.
It's a subtle distinction.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never seen the Warner's contract with TNT but it's unlikely that it said that JMS had the final say. That's just not how Networks work. They are putting the product over their airwaves and, ultimately, they have the final say.

Cancelled doesn't have a clear definition in the world of shows before they've aired. If I have a contract for 22 episodes and you ask me not to make and don't pay for almost half of them, is it cancelled? Rather a semantical game there.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

JMS was reported to have a Showrunner's contract for Crusade.

If I understand the meaning of this type contract, that means he has Final Approval of every script.
Nothing gets filmed without his OK.

He accomodated the MBAs until they got so annoying that he said "NO More".

JMS owns enough of the rights to Babylon 5 that Warner cannot film without him.

Warner owns enough rights that JMS cannot film without them unless they sell their rights back to him, sell them to another studio or announce that they have Abandoned them.
None of these is likely to happen.

So, JMS and Warner, working together, can make more shows in the Babylon 5 Universe.
All they need is a Network willing to buy the episodes.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord_Refuh:
WhatEver!
laugh.gif

samal.jpg
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO!

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
JMS owns enough of the rights to Babylon 5 that Warner cannot film without him.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

JMS has said many times that Warner Brothers owns Babylon 5 and Crusade lock, stock, and barrel.

From JMS News:

>I don't know if this has been asked before, but here goes. If you reach the
>point where you are 100% sure Crusade can never happen again as a TV series,
>would you consider resurrecting it as a comic?

It ain't mine to resurrect...WB owns it, lock, stock and barrel.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
B5 Official Fan Club at: http://www.thestation.com
(all message content (c) 2000 by
synthetic worlds, ltd., permission
to reprint specifically denied to
SFX Magazine)

... WB owns B5 lock, stock and barrel.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)

>Was it your choice to cancel the series because you
>felt it was being interfered with creatively, or did TNT cancel it because
>you wouldn't do things their way?

I do not have the power, authority or contractual ability to cancel a show and
take it elsewhere. WB owns the show, lock stock and barrel.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)

Alan Mulvie <100566.1444@compuserve.com> asks:
> Who/what actually owns the copyright to Babylon 5 and any spin
> offs? Sure you as creator own copyright on the ideas and
> characters, along with the stories you write, while WB have
> copyright on the finished product? Or is it about 234 times more
> complicated than that?

It's 573 times more complicated than that, but bottom
line...Warner Bros. owns the complete compyright to Babylon 5, lock,
stock and barrel, the same as with any show, as ST is a Paramount
property. It's the nature of the beast.

jms

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 21, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orac:
AICN rubbished Crusade to the point where I was expecting the worst show in TV history,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember AICN giving Crusade one positive review and one negative review (the positive one by Glenn and the negative one by Harry?), just like they're doing now with Rangers. Although both Crusade reviews were written much better than both of these Rangers reviews.

------------------

well, i don't really have much to say about the review. i usually just read reviews to find out plot points and whatnot, i don't really care what the person has to say, since opinions, as the saying goes, are like, well, you know. i'm one of those person who when i get it into my head to see or like something, by god, i'll see or like it, no matter what anyone else says. i would rather jump into the ocean than follow 'the crowd' as it were. so.....

christopher pike, or whoever you are, it's my opinion that you don't have to defend your review. heck, you like it or you don't, it's your own opinion. you shouldn't have to defend it, but i can see how it might be almost impossible not to reply when someone of jms' stature blasts you personally, and instead of just focusing on your review, actually blasts you as a person. i find that sad from jms' part. he shouldn't have done that. but i suppose it might be hard for him not to, since he's the god of b5 and they're like his child.

anyhoo, i stand by my opinion that it's unfair of others to attack you for your opinion of the show. rather you liked it or not, it's somewhat childish to go after you. some others try to make it seem as if they're attacking your review and not you, but in fact they're just using another angle to attack you.

------------------

So, Nixflix, you think it's OK for crispike to attack JMS, but not for JMS to express His opinion??

Go reread CP's review. He was critical of JMS, not just the movie.

We have just as much right to dislike his "review" as he has to dislike B5.

More, he has no talent as a writer. That review was a very Poor piece of writing.

------------------

JMS was reported to have a Showrunner's contract for Crusade.

If I understand the meaning of this type contract, that means he has Final Approval of every script.Nothing gets filmed without his OK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>He's the top man of those directly involved in production. The studio can however demand whatever they want, and the outlet can make demands as long as the studio supports them. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>JMS owns enough of the rights to Babylon 5 that Warner cannot film without him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope. As he tends to say "WB owns it lock, stock and barrel." They can do whatever they want with it. He has mentioned that he's required to be involved, though not that they have to actually listen to him.

He has however not given them any reason to ditch him, especially as he's a good manager in adittion to writer, and gets episodes in on time and under budget. That's rare in SF TV.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

So, Nixflix, you think it's OK for crispike to attack JMS, but not for JMS to express His opinion??

Go reread CP's review. He was critical of JMS, not just the movie.

We have just as much right to dislike his "review" as he has to dislike B5.

More, he has no talent as a writer. That review was a very Poor piece of writing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have read the review, and have just read it again, i don't believe he was attacking jms personally. perhaps jms' artistry, or his skills as a writer/creator of b5:lotr. it's not of my opinion that his attacks were targeted at jms the person, unlike jms' attack on him, which were very personal in comparison.

as to his talent as a writer, well, i doubt if he's any better or worst than the dreck that is posted on aicn, and on that point, i have no opinion. he did at least have a semblance of skill as a writer, even if it doesn't meet your standards. (by aicn standards, the man mind as well be hemingway.)

of course you can dislike his reviews, but i've read quite a few post that attacks him as a person. this, i believe, is unnecessary. surely he can have his own opinions?

------------------

Oh bloody hell..

First, It doesn't matter who Chris Pike's real life identity is. He did the review, and he got to see the sneak peak of Legend. He must have some type of "credentials" or he wouldn't have connections.

Second, I don't buy into the *I can make excuses for writing a poor review*...because, if you are GOING to be writing reviews then you need to do it in an eliquant manner where YOU don't make yourself sound like a dumbass.

Third, yea that would be a disappointment if the movie sucked. That would suck. But like the pilot of B5, that wasn't the greatest pilot, and I didn't watch B5 at first. And you are right, there are just too many *CANNED* plots out there in sci-fi land.

It would figure I would wait and wait, only to have some half baked pilot come out.

Forth, if you are going to slam B5, then one would expect repercussions from the fans.

B5lotr's sucks..ok, BUT, we didn't want to really hear that. we are B5 fans not because we think b5 sux. But some people do. and aren't into it.

LAST-- Chris Pike, if you are going to SLAM something, just slam it..don't slam it then WHINE about yada yada...and make excuses..

When I slam something, I JUST SLAM IT..and I stay by my opinion. I don't make excuses like "I was in a hurry, or whatever..." I stand by my convictions.

yea, you probably ticked the B5 fans here off, but you should have THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE you posted, before your review. AND thats what review's are suppose to be, is a review of the film, not a MY OPINION ALL THE WAY, its a summary of the film. not your opinion..only the last paragraph should be your opinion.

Sorry, Pike, but you kicked your own ass this time.

------------------
Say hi @ www.b5rangers.net, AIM name: onepmsqueen, ICQ: 10615720

Personally Christopher, I thoroughly enjoyed your review. Frankly, I think its getting to the point where people are being blasted just for being obective and critical. If I'm not mistaken, there were a flurry of negative posts here following the "positive" review of LOTR on AICN, because the reviewer there stated that he disliked the opening theme song for Crusade. How in the hell can you hope to please people like that?

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

A note to all... Publicity is a game, especially in the entertainment field. Everyone needs to remember that bad publicity is better than no publicity. John Q Public is very easy to impress, and if he reads the review, and forms no opinion, there is a real good chance he will watch it, because there is a frame of referance in his mind. this is the most important thing to any publicity machine, hit more people. I hate the review, but we need to realize that bad as it is, it will cause people to watch the movie.

As a note, chrispike can't give his credentials, he has most likely...

a. Been paid by a competing network or show
b. Caught in a conflict of Interest (like
a writer for "Enterprise").
c. Has my credentials - I like to write.

Defending your work, chrispike, is weak.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> have read the review, and have just read it again, i don't believe he was attacking jms personally. perhaps jms' artistry, or his skills as a writer/creator of b5:lotr. it's not of my opinion that his attacks were targeted at jms the person, unlike jms' attack on him, which were very personal in comparison.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you attack MY skills and professional abilities, I will take it VERY personally.
Because those skills and abilities ARE part of me, the Person.

You might also compare the relative skills of the two when atacking each other.
CPs writing is poor and incoherent.
JMSs is logical, incisive and Funny.

If CP is so good, let him go create his OWN universe and make a successful TV show out of it.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

My advice is:
If you cannot be objective, don't start reviewing anything.

And now I'm not saying that the movie will be perfect and what Pike said is total bullshit. I'll wait and see.

Regards,
TheInfection

------------------
Things change... long time gone by.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
"A Call to Arms" was not a "pilot" for Crusade. JMS has said as much.

Boxleitner/Sheridan was never intended to captain the Excalibur.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found this on JMS News while I was looking for something else:

JMS News 05/04/1998

No, A Call to Arms isn't a Crusade pilot, it's a B5 movie that somewhat sets the stage for the new show, but is not a part of it.

jms

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Bringing this topic to a close.

------------------
"Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's bitch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it." -- Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

"Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair-gel I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away." -- Spike, as Angel, in Angel

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back