• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why Rangers Might Fail - Analysis

Here in Britain we may not even see the pilot. Channel 4 the traditional home of B5, put all their resources into pulling of a coup and getting Enterprise. With less money in the bag, will they try getting Rangers should it come to series?

My hope is that instead, the BBC will try and get it and tag it on to the end of Buffy or STTNG on weekday evenings or something. That is a trick that is often used in the media, if you have a new product and want to sell it well, you tag it on the end of a popular established programme.

This is millenia off though, the TV movie has to come out first and there isn't the slightest rumbling!

Come on fellow Brits we need to get organised!
wink.gif

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> put all their resources into pulling of a coup and getting Enterprise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some Coup.

Kinda like breaking the piggy bank to buy a mansion and discovering it's infested by Termites.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Well I am but a mere mortal and have no access to non-terrestrial television. All we are getting here is the magazine hype etc!

That's pretty much all we have, so I have little basis to form an opinion. I can only tell you what I think an exec who knows how well Trek does ratings wise on previous form might react when offered what he may consider to be "the Holy Grail" of Sci-Fi on a platter.

Of course this exec would not have seen Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and plumps straight for the Gold Kingly cup, which turns out to be a poisoned chalice!

I think Aunty Beeb should get their own back and snap up that carpenters cup.

Metaphor maybe stretching a little far here! I hope you managed to stay with me!

crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

At least you don't live in a country that waits 5 years before showing the second season!!! In Malaysia, I watched the first season in 1995 and waited 5
crazy.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
years just to see Captain Sheridan take the helm. As a result, I knew the story before I ever saw the series after reading the episode sypnosis in Lurker's Guide. Thank God even after that I still enjoyed the show when it finally aired the last four seasons in 2000.

Fotunately I'm studying in Australia now so with any luck, we'll get B5LR soon after it comes out. Pray that it does fellows.
frown.gif
Or I'll have to ban myself from this site and any other B5 site so as not to spoil myself with spoilers.
frown.gif

------------------
May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

I do realize that Channe was just playing Devil's Advocate, and since this thread is mainly followed by us sensible people who understand her motives completely, it can't do any harm. Can it?
crazy.gif

When you talk of B5LR failing, I assume you mean it will not create sufficient interest to go on to a series. In my estimation it is quite possible the SciFi Network might decide to drop it simply because of budget restrictions.

As for competition, there is not only Enterprise, but also Andromeda and Farscape which all have stories based on a group of people on an unusual starship. True, they are all different, but even the most rabid scifi fan can only watch so much tv.

Regarding distribution, that is up to their sales staff. They should be out there right now trying to sell the show in as many markets as possible. I am sure it will turn up in Canada at some time, but our potential audience is so small it can't possibly affect the outcome. Didn't someone post on another thread that Warner Bros. was planning to pick up the ball and run with it if the SciFi Network drops it?

------------------

I do not see any competion between trek and b5, the original b5 did fine with DS9, the best of all st imho, on during the same years yet it went through all of its 5 seasons

------------------
www.trek-homeworld.co.uk home of the greatest Star Trek Game ever made

Napoleon -

Yup, there was definite competition between DS9 and B5. It was like selling paper towels; you may use both Bounty and Cheer, and like them both, but there are other people out there who will only buy Bounty or will only buy Cheer.

'Tis the way of things.

------------------
Channe, who lives for the One and dies for the peanut-butter pie
--
"The secret of writing: get your character up a tree, and throw rocks at him." -JMS

5 years to see the other seasons? Wow, that's really, I dunno...

------------------

You'd have to be able to read the minds of the Sci-Fi channel's exec.s to know this for certain. I remember hearing an important executive admitting that cancelling "Alien Nation" was one of his biggest mistakes on the job.

There is always the market question. Just what audience is Sci-Fi looking for right now? Or Warner Brothers, for that matter? And I do believe that I also heard WB will try to sell “Rangers” if Sci-Fi doesn’t pick it up. I’m just afraid all of the writers and actors will be tied up with other projects by then.
frown.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

hypatia -

I hope they don't take *too* long in deciding yea or nay - but everyone has to eat...

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
hypatia -

I hope they don't take *too* long in deciding yea or nay - but everyone has to eat...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that was exactly my point.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> hearing an important executive admitting that cancelling "Alien Nation" was one of his biggest mistakes on the job.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are going to stick to this claim??

That you heard an Executive admit to making a mistake???
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Did the executive cancel 'Alien Nation' or did his rival cancel it?

There is a big difference.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

Haven't read through the entire discussion (I'm lazy
smile.gif
) But I think it is good to look at a worst case scenario too, because expecting _alot_ and not have it granted will get one very dissapointed, so it is a good thing to view at what could happen, so one is aware of it.

After expecting too much from certain films and then going to watch them and be dissapointed has happen to me several times, which also makes me think the film was worse then it actually is because I expected something different. Damn, now I'm rambling off topic again, I should get a grip.

Anyway, I liked the post channe
smile.gif

Also, u should know how shitty it is to live in a country like sweden with no way to get Sci-Fi channel without me having to go get an extra satelite dish for this appartment, and this I really can't afford. Luckily I got my connections so I get to see the great series anyway (sorry for not contributing with the money with the money to Sci-Fi channel and other companies, but a poor student with a comps gotta do what a poor students gotta do
smile.gif
)

Enough rambling already. Cheers.

/MW

------------------

I have a better reason as to why LOTR might fail -- #1: May Not Be Any Damn Good.

As far as all this discussion about competition from Enterprise, I don't see it. Enterprise is an on-going series. LOTR, as far as I know, is simply a tele-movie. If, however, sci-fi makes it a series, I seriously doubt that they would be foolish enough to air it opposite Enterprise. Then again, we are talking about the same channel that invested in Black Scorpion.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

Yep, it might not be any damn good.

And it could blow Enterprise to bits with its brilliance.

We don't know. The only thing we do know at this point is that everyone involved with the project thinks it's a good piece of work (not Shakespeare, but a good, entertaining show) and that some reviewers like it and some reviewers don't.

The only thing we can really rely on now is watching the show in January. Anything else is hearsay.

And then there's the fact that, come the nineteenth, you might think it's utter crap, and I might think it's better than a good cold chocolate cheesecake.

The old adage "people are just about the same everywhere" only counts in the viewing public as "we all have different opinions on the subject!"

Anybody think I should post a "Why Rangers Might Succeed" thread?
smile.gif

------------------
Channe, the next JMS
--
Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and one fine morning - so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
-f. scott fitzgerald

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And then there's the fact that, come the nineteenth, you might think it's utter crap, and I might think it's better than a good cold chocolate cheesecake. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's not go crazy with optimism here.
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Anybody think I should post a "Why Rangers Might Succeed" thread? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not?

Or how about this one:
"Why Rangers will succeed, crush all opposition 'neath its mighty heel, and usher in a new era of quality SF programming"

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Yep, it might not be any damn good.
And it could blow Enterprise to bits with its brilliance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excuse me. You were the one that posted reasons as to why LOTR might fail. I just included the most obvious.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

I have to say that the only reasons sci-fi bought into 'Black Scorpion', (herein refered to as 'BS'), was...

1. No Telemovie. This would have killed 'BS' right away.

2. They sold commercials based on the Ted Turner Theorum, Young girls in skimpy costumes, 'BS' did this.

B5 will not fail, look at what they learned from 'BS'.
1. No one watching sci-fi wants to see 'BS' style programming on thier one sacred format. Dont get me wrong, Young girls in skimpy costumes have thier place, just not on sci fi prime. Lots of bad sci-fi movies to do this.

2. Bad writing is laughed at by true sci-fi fans. This killed 'BS'.

3. 'BS' would do well with TNT fans. B5 will not.

B5 LOTR will not fail!!! As for the devils advocate POV..., Channe is 100% on for posting it. Let us all hope someone who has an effect on LOTR programming reads it.

Advice for Sci-Fi Channel - Buy 30 second spots during "Enterprise", and other network Sci Fi. Win your ratings with agressive advertising!!!

------------------

As a note to GkarsEye, your a software engineer...

Hespersycologist: Is the glass half full or half empty?

GKarsEye: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be for the amount of liquid contained within it.

Sorry, love engineer jokes.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back