• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sci-Fi Chan going under?

timber

Gary007Seven posted this at a B5 Forum.
If its true, dose this mean that rangers is doomed before it even had a chance to get started? What are your thoughts?

FYI, from the -SyFy Portal- Web site: (site address follows article)

===========================================================
--Sci-Fi Channel going?--

While this is only a rumor, SyFy Portal did a little checking of its own, and
there is a possibility that there might be some truth to this report.

Sci-Fi 2000 has reported that a source it has close to USA Studios that the
company has plans to get rid of the Sci-Fi Channel and replace it with
something tentatively called The Adventure Network, AdventureUSA or
USAdventure.

According to the rumor report, the channel would dump most of its current
programming (assuming with the exception of "Star Trek," which it signed a
somewhat long-term deal with) and run USA-produced programming like "Hercules:
The Legendary Journeys," "Pacific Blue" as well as USA-produced films.

Sci-Fi 2000 said that the recent airings of "Cape Fear" and "Ravenous" were
actually part of the company's experiment with a move toward that type of
programming. And the cancellations of "First Wave" and "Invisible Man" are
tell-tale signs of a dismantling operation. The site also reports that
"Farscape" also could be next on the cancellation list after its fourth season.

Once again, please note that this is all unconfirmed. The SyFy Portal source
(unfortunately for us, a very low-ranking source) did not say one way or
another if any portion of this report was true. So please treat this above and
beyond what you would any other rumor.
================================================
Link: http://www.syfyportal.com/article/?id=381

------------------

I was slightly scared by this... however, reading that I see two, possibly three, errors. To me that is a good sign (!) as it shows the article may not be much good.

Error 1: the cancelation of First Wave wasn't even by SCI FI really... it was due to Pearson stopping its subsidy. Think it was Pearson... but it was a money issue.

Error 2: Invisble Man. I think they were working on a reprieve for this, and it wan't quite over. Don't know the latest.

Error 3: Farscape, and the biggest error. "The site also reports that
Farscape also could be next on the cancellation list after its fourth season." Well, as SCI FI have just renewed this for TWO years, taking it to a total of five seasons, that won't happen. And a two year committment, I think, is a good sign of their confidence in things to come.

------------------
"You're such a gentleman. Too bad I'm not a lady." - Max, Dark Angel

"X5-599. I've got a heart for you." - Zack, Dark Angel

The Farscape thing was what made me think that this rumor probably isn't true. How could they go back on a two-year deal? I think that if they are doing an adventure channel, it will probably be separate from SFC.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

They've also been announcing a whole bunch of pilots and adaptions of well-known genre works, and has already spent money on getting both new and old Stargate episodes starting mid/late 2002.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

Somebody over at rastb5m had this to say, and I think it makes a lot of sense:

I wouldn't call something with more space devoted to disclaimers than to the actual
report even so much as a rumor.

If the rumor is substantiated in the future, I think we should all let USA Networks know what we think of that idea. I spend 10 times as much time watching Sci-Fi as I do watching USA. If Sci-Fi goes, there's no reason for me to have Expanded Basic Cable (which includes USA).

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 05, 2001).]

Whoever got that information, it's completely false. SCIFI has been getting some very impressive ratings, and has actually done quite well for itself despite the slump in advertising. Farscape has been renewed for two more seasons, there's Rangers, another Dune miniseries, and some other projects in various stages of production as we speak. SCIFI is doing quite well, and AFAIK, there's no plans to significantly change/remove the network.

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

It is just so hard to know what weird rumors are true and what are not true anymore. The way companies are buying out other companies these days, and with an official recession period on, who knows what could happen. The Sci-Fi market is strong in a way, but possibly weaker than other markets they might be considering.

It just struck me as a rumor that MIGHT be true. Stranger things have hapenned. I agree, though, the Sci-Fi channel has already contracted out a lot of new projects, mini-series and such.

And yes, the article was very truthful about the doubtfulness of the rumor. That was very good of them. Good reporting, I mean.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Things are going good for sci-fi and it does indeed pay. With things like episode 2, red dwarf, matrix 2, star trek X etc. all coming out soon it looks great for the genre. All of which sci-fi channel can take advantage of by showing red dwarf episodes, star trek eps, the matrix film, star wars trilogy etc.
smile.gif
And with all that you'll want some original programmes such as Rangers. I know I want something original and refreshing to the genre.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord:
All of which sci-fi channel can take advantage of by showing red dwarf episodes, star trek eps, the matrix film, star wars trilogy etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So can a lot of other channels, many of who have more money (note how TNN recently outbid SciFi for the rights to the various Trek series).

(Not that I'm supporting the rumour in any way until I hear it from a reputable source.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
So can a lot of other channels, many of who have more money (note how TNN recently outbid SciFi for the rights to the various Trek series).

(Not that I'm supporting the rumour in any way until I hear it from a reputable source.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know but the sci-fi chan. should be thinking in these terms and preparing ahead of time. Gives em a slight edge over other networks I would think, but I can only guess from England.
smile.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

This just in, the sky is falling.

------------------
"This so-called new religion is nothing but a pack of weird rituals and chants designed to take away the money of fools. Let us say the Lord's Prayer forty times, but first, let's pass the collection plate."-Rev. Lovejoy in The Joy of Sect

If I were running SciFi, I'd be happy to let Trek RERUNS go to TNN and save the money for Original Programming that SciFi would Own a stake in. Like Rangers. While Warners is the "majority" partner, SciFi stands to profit nicely from it.

With something like the Trek deal, SciFi would get peanuts and Paramont would pocket the money. If TNN wants it, let them have it.

Personally, I don't call spreading rumors journalism.
If they can't verify what they print, why bother??

Of course, in Hollyweird, spreading negative rumors is a recognized way of sabotaging the competition.
Perhaps SciFi has someone worried??
shocked.gif
wink.gif

Maybe Paramolehill is taking a page from Micro$lut and engaging in FUD.

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

Destroy the competition with innuendo. The tactics that made Billygoates a Billionaire.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

If USA were looking to get rid of Sci-Fi, the first rumor we'd hear would be about USA shopping it around to buyers or about potential deals. Closing down a growing channel would be the last resort, not the first one.

As for Sci-Fi's finances, I'm sure they're terrible. The advertising market is weak at the moment, but advertising is never the route to massive, instant wealth (too high in the food chain). That's why so many TV networks and such are owned by big companies with numerous revenue streams. I'm sure they had enough knowledge of the business to plan for the inevitable downturn.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord:
Things are going good for sci-fi and it does indeed pay. With things like episode 2, red dwarf, matrix 2, star trek X etc. all coming out soon it looks great for the genre.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright, what's going on with Red Dwarf? This one's news to me.

I love Red Dwarf.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

That's too bad, cause I was hoping that those reports WERE true. Sci-fi has failed as a cable channel. Hopefully, it WILL die soon.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
Sci-fi has failed as a cable channel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure how you define "failed", but given that SciFi was in the top ten of US cable networks when I checked not too long ago, I don't think you'll find much support for that assertion.

(If however you meant to say that you think their programming sucks, that's you prerogative, though that's another matter entirely.)

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I'm not sure how you define "failed", but given that SciFi was in the top ten of US cable networks when I checked not too long ago, I don't think you'll find much support for that assertion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given the fact that you don't know my definition of "failed," then I fail to see how you can judge what everyone else in existence thinks about my opinion. But if your point was that my opinion is unpopular, so friggin' what. I could care less what the pom-pom squad for the sci-fi channel thinks about my opinions.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PsionTen:
I could care less what the pom-pom squad for the sci-fi channel thinks about my opinions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't you concerned about the repocussions on Rangers chances if sci-fi goes down? If not.... why are you here?

------------------

... where are you going?
wink.gif

Sorry. I inadvertantly channeled Lorien.

Sci-Fi seems okay to me. I don't like some of their programming, but overall, it's better to have SFC than not.

I reserve my hatred for the Game Show Network, but it takes all kinds.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

No whammies.

Scifi has not failed. The president of the USA network is leaving and not being replaced if what I saw on the scifi farscape bb is acurate. This may have been twisted into scifi is folding.

The great thing about the internet is that info can be spread from almost anyone quite quickly. The horrible thing about the internet is that info can be spread from almost anyone quite quickly.

------------------
"This so-called new religion is nothing but a pack of weird rituals and chants designed to take away the money of fools. Let us say the Lord's Prayer forty times, but first, let's pass the collection plate."-Rev. Lovejoy in The Joy of Sect

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back