• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New desktop picture at scifi.com

Actually, there is a reason why the jump points look different for Rangers. ACtA and B5 both used LightWave for their CGI effects. Rangers uses Maya, which doesn't have the same procedural textures as LightWave. (Procedural textures are textures that are not actual images, but mathematical patterns. Each rendering package has different kinds of procedural textures.) Things like the jump points and Shadow skin need those LightWave specific procedural textures. It would take a lot of tweaking to get the effect exactly correct - and considering the time they had to finish the effects, it's better to do something new. After all, SCIFI wants a new audience to come to B5 through Rangers, and they aren't going to know what a jump point looks like anyway.

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

I have not posted in a while, but wow! What is going on here, has everyone forgot that a few years ago the hopes of seeing a new shot of a Jumpgate were nearly gone! Get ahold of yourselves, and enjoy it, I could care less what the look changes from one effect house to another are. Besides that, this is a pilot!!! We will see changes when the series comes out.

As speculation goes, mabee this GVFX thought that each race builds a gate a little different, hence we would see at least ten gate effects!!! Bonus!!! Mabee the Duridium is breaking down in a million year old gate.

Lets just get away from
mad.gif
and get back to
smile.gif
. Thank you!!!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hesperous:
Lets just get away from
mad.gif
and get back to
smile.gif
. Thank you!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a big Swede (Sven) I used to know from Westinghouse used to say, I'm being nicky-picky*.
smile.gif

*-You have to picture a 6'7", 300 lb. kodiak bear of a guy saying this. I'm 6'1" 220 lbs., and he made me feel small.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 30, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Why not get somebody who would be more compatible from a software standpoint? e.g. Ron Thornton.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Foundation Imaging is located in LA, which would make it a lot harder to co-ordinate the production, especially when the show will will be relying heavily on CGI composite shots, which often require representatives from the FX firm to help out on set.

------------------
"When a spark goes online, there's great joy --
When one's extinguished, the universe weeps." (audio)
-- Rhinox, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back