• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Changeling News

Re: \"Changeling\" derailed or at least postponed

This is why so many just don't trust news like this until the opening screening is announced.

*Sigh*. Let's hope nothing can still go wrong with "The Lost Tales".

What a huge disappointment for the Great Maker. :(

Doesn't surprise me in the least that it was postponed as for B5 TLT with JMS's track record .I am on the fence as to whether this will be made as well or canceled competley.

Do we know whether this means it's shelved or whether it just means that Howard himself might not be directing? I'm not familiar enough with his company to judge. JMS never seemed sure that Howard would decide to direct it, iirc.

Jan

Direct to DVD ought to cut out a lot of potential trouble, though, don't you think?

I suspect TLT will get made, and that's great for us fans. Something like 3 hours of entertainment.

But the movie would be a huge financial triumph for JMS.

It's a good thing he's learned to be "Zen-like" about it. Otherwise, he'd be dead by now. :eek:

He's had plenty of practice, I think. As I recall, he's written a number of other feature scripts, including, of course, the Rising Stars screenplay.

Jan

Ron Howard actually paid for the script, right? Meaning he has an intention to make it at some point? So, logic would dictate it just needs to be fit into his schedule or he would re-sell it?

JMS's response to a post on the Moderated Newsgroup:

Just to clarify before the wrong impression gets out there....the
project has not been back burnered. First, Imagine owns the script,
they bought it, they want it, they want to see it made, so does
Universal. When Ron decided to go with the Frost/Nixon thing first,
one option would have been to hold onto Changeling until he was free to
direct it. But with the Forst/Nixon thing going first, Changeling
couldn't be shot until 2007...so Ron is going to produce, with Imagine,
and they're going to get another a-list director to come on board and
shoot this thing asap. The only thing that got back-burnered was Ron,
Imagine still wants to make this, and Ron has been gracious enough to
allow another director in, but still produce it, so it can get filmed
this year.

The draft is now ready to go, there are five a-list directors who have
said they want to come on, it's been budgeted, and the president of
Imagine called today *specifically* to say that they want to put this
thing into high gear now that Ron's made up his mind. They'd like to
see this thing going before the cameras by Spring.

jms

Like I said...

Jan

Ah, a rumor laid to rest today. :LOL:

Alright: we fans have gotten jumpy. ;)

That's fantastic news, thanks for sharing it, Jan. :beer:

Yeah ... in spite of the meeting between JMS and RH a couple months ago, I don't remember it ever being specifically stated that Howard was definitely going to do this, just that he was interested and was considering it as possibly his next project.

Now that he has considered and decided to do something else (but still wants to be involved as Producer - is Imagine his company?) it leaves the movie for someone else to direct.

As JMS said right at the start, Imagine bought the script outright ... they didn't option it. It seems unlikely that having done that, they would decide to shelve it just because Howard himself has decided not to direct it.

Actually, I thought that kind of thing happened all of the time.

No, that kind of thing happens all the time with optioned properties. Less often with something that's been bought outright like this. The only thing surprising to me in this non-story is that the Times put such a negative slant on it. We knew from the start that Howard might pass it along to someone else to direct, but that Imagine -- who had bought it -- was going to produce it.

I guess the reporter didn't do his homework as well as you do, Amy. :)

Well, hopefully they'll find a good director who won't destroy the script too badly.

Excellent, his fortunes haven't started turning backwards afterall (Not that I had any real doubts, but, it can be nerve wracking).

No, that kind of thing happens all the time with optioned properties.

Which is exactly why it was such a big thing in JMS' career for Imagine to buy The Changeling outright in the first place ... and why other work started to roll in on the back of it.

Ah, a rumor laid to rest today. :LOL:

Alright: we fans have gotten jumpy. ;)

That's fantastic news, thanks for sharing it, Jan. :beer:

We didn't get jumpy. We just believed a ridiculously inaccurate article.

Yeah ... in spite of the meeting between JMS and RH a couple months ago, I don't remember it ever being specifically stated that Howard was definitely going to do this, just that he was interested and was considering it as possibly his next project.

Correct, JMS had always said Ron Howard might direct it, but that he had several other potential films on his plate. Of course, the buzz on Ron himself directing would've been a plus.

Now that he has considered and decided to do something else (but still wants to be involved as Producer - is Imagine his company?) it leaves the movie for someone else to direct.

This would be similar to last year's "Inside Man", which was an Imagine production, but Spike Lee was hired to direct (which I found an odd choice for that picture, but Denzel Washington may have had input on the decision).

Yeah, Imagine Entertainment is the production company Ron Howard and Brian Grazer jointly own and operate. They've done an astonishing range of TV and movie projects, only a tiny number of which have been directed by Howard himself. It is kind of hard to categorize a company responsible for Apollo 13, Willow, Inside "Deep Throat", Arrested Development, 8 Mile, Cinderella Man, 24, and Kindergarten Cop. :)

Regards,

Joe

Joe still got the cash, that was never in doubt. I remember him stating that the script was purchased.

There are plenty of directors out there other than Howard who could do this script justice. now I know a lttle more about the plot, it sounds excellent, and could probably benefit from someone a little ediger than Howard as director...

We didn't get jumpy. We just believed a ridiculously inaccurate article.
We should have known better... it WAS in the LA Times, after all. :p

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back