• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What books are we reading now?

I enjoyed his "Stardust" book, I just finished reading it last night. I pre-empted a lot of where he was going.... but it didn't detract from my enjoyment. It's kind of like a Fairy tale for adults (althopugh Gaiman points out in interview afterwards that in fact many fairy tales were originally written with adult audiences in mind but were retrospectively toned down after parents wrote to the publishers and complained about the fruity bits etc)

Not used to reading fruity bits in a book (of which there is one near the beginning), I was on a bus at the time too.

I'm re-reading Tales of the White wolf (again) at the moment,a collection of short stories featuring Moorcook's Elric.

Gaimen has a strange little story in this collection.

American Gods is excellent, in my mind. I was slightly less impressed with Anansi Boys but it was still fun.

Neverwhere, however, just wasn't as good. (Midnight Nation is way better.) I've yet to get his true masterpiece, however -- Sandman.

Did you read 2010 already? :LOL:

From what I've heard you'll enjoy your reading. Tell us what you think, I might read them some day. :)

I had not at the time, as I did not want to start anything more than short stories during exam season - knowing how volatile my motivation can be :p .. did finish Dick's short story collection and 2010 when skiing though - now I get to wait on Amazon to continue the series - 1 to 3 weeks till delivery.

In the meantime .. Charles Dickens: David Copperfield

Ah, that makes sense. :D

Well, don't give up if you decided to read 2064 or whatever it was.... :eek:

There is one significant "thing" we get out of that story, and it's repeated verbally in 3001, so it isn't really even all that necessary.

Ah, that makes sense. :D

Well, don't give up if you decided to read 2064 or whatever it was.... :eek:

There is one significant "thing" we get out of that story, and it's repeated verbally in 3001, so it isn't really even all that necessary.

I ordered 2061 too - if I can't take it, I'll skip to 3001 :p

:p

when spending the evenings in an isolated valley in the middle of nowhere, among people that have never seen a digital camera before, that do not know about the concept of time zones, have never heard of the internet, and that believe that the current president of the US is Ronald Reagan, as it was him the last time they heard anything from outside their valley - better? :eek:

I enjoyed reading The Probability Man books by Brian Ball.
Unfortunately it is many years since I last saw them in the shops.

I'm reading 'The First Man In Rome', based purely on the first post in this thread :)

Well I have wanted to get more of an understanding about Rome in general, so seemed like a good idea. I'm enjoying it, but I find reading more of a chore than I used to because of my eyesight having gotten worse.

I've not long ordered the DVD Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire from amazon (not the saucy drama series, but more of a timewatch style docudrama).

De-lurking to say that I am currently in the middle of The River of Doubt by Candice Millard. It is about how Teddy Roosevelt made a trip down an uncharted tributary of the amazon after loosing the 1912 election. I'm not entirely sure if I like this. Probably because I am only about a third of the way through.

And speaking of Harry Harrison, I seem to recall that his Captive Universe is pretty damn good. Haven't read it since I was about 17, but since it is the only book I read back then of which I can remember the title, author and some vague notion of what its about it must have made an impression.

i'm half way through donnie brasco by joe pistone at the moment, it has to be the most enthralling non-fiction i have read in years, and lined up for afterwards i have the moon is a harsh mistress.

Once again re reading.

Going through the AMTRAK wars now.

Still waiting on the end of the story ;)

Ah well,it has only been ten years or so :)

Back