• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lost: "All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" (Sp

vacantlook

Super Moderator
Lost: \"All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues\" (Sp

Ok, so I tried to get the Spoiler warning in the thread title, but there was no room for much of it with the entire title of this episode. So, here's spoiler space to compensate.

S

p

o

i

l

e

r

S

p

a

c

e

Quite a full episode this week. We get more of the issues Jack has regarding his father. I like how the flashback element to this show so easily enables the exploration of different time periods in the characters lives. The flashback issue of Jack's dad's drinking and the death of woman added much more to the previously little that we've gotten over the tension between Jack and his dad.

I liked seeing Boone doing more (partially because Ian's just damn cute), and his pairing up with Locke was interesting. Despite how much I want to trust Locke, I still feel like he's fairly freaky.

Michael's getting angry over his son's trying to stick up for Locke looks to be slowly building to perhaps a larger blowout to come.

I wonder if the Sawyer/Sayid character conflict is going to lead to a friendship similar to how Londo and G'Kar started out antagonistic toward one another but ended up friends.

And can we say holy crap @ Charlie's near death. I so don't want him to die damn it! Dom's too freaking cute to kill his character off (Lord, that sounds so fangirlish). But seriously, Charlie's too damn sweet to kill off. Often times on shows, the fake death I don't get fooled by -- knowing so-and-so will be saved in the end. But this time, I truly thought Charlie was a goner. But no! Hero!Jack to the rescue, not giving up, and saved Charlie's life. Yay!

Only thing I would have liked a little bit of would be Sun and Jin, who've not been seen for quite some time.

Definitely a nice episode!

Re: Lost: \"All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues\" (Sp

Yes, it was a very powerful episode. Charlie's "death" stunned me, because I believed it was for real. This is the kind of show that can (and if gossip is true, will) kill off a main character. It's the kind of story telling I fell in love with watching Babylon 5.

I didn't get to see the teaser before the first commercial break, and missed some bits here and there as I was busy doing some things while it was on. I watched Raised by Another right before All the Best Cowboys..., and it occurred to me that Charlie is all too conveniently often with the folks when they make "discoveries", and he instantly snuggled up to Claire. People have been theorizing that Ethan may not be evil afterall, that we are being tricked by the writers. So, I'm starting to wonder if maybe Ethan is protecting Claire from Charlie? Charlie was right there when Claire woke up from here "nightmare",(In raised by another) and they didn't catch who attacked her. Was there anything in the Teaser of All the Best Cowboys that would prove this wrong?

What was that, that Locke and Boone found? It seemed to be like the outside of a submarine shell. Surely the island can't be a submarine (or underground city) in disguise?

This was another great episode, although they kind of strayed with giving background stories to different characters and went back to Jack again. I wasn't disappointed in his new backstory though and it still helped give us insight as to who he is exactly.

I'm still not sure as to where Ethan actually came from or why he's on the island. I suppose he could be the one that Danielle was talking about.

I wonder if the Sawyer/Sayid character conflict is going to lead to a friendship similar to how Londo and G'Kar started out antagonistic toward one another but ended up friends

I kind of wondered the same thing. I can actually see them eventually become really good friends.

For a second there I too thought Charlie was dead, but I thought that surely they wouldn't kill someone off this soon in the series.

If anything this episode left me a little confused about what's happening and what's going to happen. Looks like it might be a while before a new episode is on, as it looks like they'll be showing repeats for a while.

I'm not sure where people get their "LOST" info from, but, it seems to be bandied about that there will be 3 weeks of reruns, so perhaps reruns until Alias takes it's place next to LOST?

In regards to Ethan maybe not being evil, I thought the same thing. They were really pointing us that way. Say someone extra was around that wasn't on the mannifest, then cut straight to him. Make him look menacing. But we've not seen him do anything bad... only in Jack's maybe-not-dream.

But you know, my interest in waning in Lost. I loved it, but I'm now not being enthralled like I was. And I'm not quite sure why.

It could be if the flashbacks aren't as interesting. Two of my favourites where the flashbacks in House of the Rising Son and Solitary. Raised by Another wasn't bad, but then this week's didn't interest me a whole lot. I think partially becuase it was Jack for the 3rd time.

I also feel there's not been enough going on in present day, and in the case of this week's it kept detracting from the present day.

Maybe with the next one I'll be hooked again, and it's just my current mood. Or maybe I am starting to lose interest, not sure.

I think one issue that is there for me is that they're doing flasbacks but it's not character development. It's character information. But in the present day, there's not actually character forming going on.

When Charlie was dead, I realised I didn't actually care. I don't think I'd care if anyone of them died really. When he came back, well that felt worse because it was a cheat.

So I'll see how it goes. It's still good... but I suppose there's only so much "distraction" I can take where they hint at things but don't actually do things, and give you character development but it's not actually character development.

Oh, and I like Ian too. Gimme some of that.

...and in the case of this week's it kept detracting from the present day.

I think the Jack flashbacks ultimately tied into the present day in that we saw Jack in the past give up on a patient because of his dad telling him to, but then we see him in the present day start to give up but being himself eventually decided to not give into death and to keep fighting for Charlie's life. It showed us the level of influence Jack's father had over him compared to what Jack's personality truly was.

I know, and I can't fault on them on the relevance and stuff... it's just it wasn't really grabbing me, and making me scream for the next episode.

Oh, there've been episodes that haven't made me scream for the next episode, but I haven't come across one that makes me think my time was wasted for watching.

Oh no, it'd have to get a lot worse for me to think that.

*cough* Smallville *cough*

Re: Lost: \"All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues\"

I rewatched the pilot this week. One thing that screamed out at me is, what happened to the big things that go bump in the night and the day that knock palm trees down? Have I missed something?

This coming Week (Dec 22) the 3rd and 4th episodes will be repeated. In one of these two episodes Locke sees the monster face to face, and I believe that is the last we see of it (Although we only see Locke's reaction, not what he actually sees). Putting his reaction together, with what you learn in later episodes, you can theorize about "the monster" (Maybe rightly, maybe wrongly). In the episode with Danielle "the French Woman" Rousseau, Mira Furlan's character tells us there are no such things as monsters.

Let me know if you want to know more of what I feel about it, which may be right or may be way off base, or if you want to come to your own conclusions.

Let me know if you want to know more of what I feel about it, which may be right or may be way off base, or if you want to come to your own conclusions.

Hit me with it, baby! :D

Back