• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anne McCaffrey Has Passed Away at 85

Very sad. Her words/worlds always gave me pleasure.

Good link, Sindatur, it's worthwhile to read the comments.

I read almost everything she wrote, she really was almost alone in her area of fantasy writing. She really led the way for many. She told some great stories, and really opened up a whole new area of fiction (feminist fantasy) that I hadn't even known existed, before.

We might have seen a "Dragonrider" series, but the "powers that be" weren't going in a direction that she liked.

Sound familiar. :)

I always loved her stuff, though ultimately I may have outgrown the Dragonriders. (I dunno, though. Just remembering it reminds me how awesome F'lar was. Also Ruth. That was one kickass little dragon.) The richness of her Pern books was astonishing, and for once time travel worked relatively well. She apparently said some kinda mean things later in life... but I'll put that down to the era of her birth and give her credit for all the wonderful things she said about other authors. It often seemed like she was the go-to person to comment for just-starting-out writers, as she always had a kind word for a cover blurb. And she was usually right, too.

I've got just about all the books she ever wrote. I love them. My favorite out of her series is Killashandra, the Crystal Singer series.

Here's hoping the Grand Dame didn't get caught in between.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back