B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 18th 07, 18:12   #1
vacantlook

The Hobbit (& its sequel)

(Hat-tip to Jan, from whom I first read about this.)

The legal troubles holding up turning The Hobbit into a film are now resolved. Peter Jackson won't be directing, but he will be involved. There is going to be a Hobbit film and a sequel.

Quote:
The two “Hobbit” films – “The Hobbit” and its sequel – are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of “The Hobbit” release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

Last edited by Chilli; December 19th 07 at 18:56. Reason: title spelling - what, me, anal?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 07, 18:15   #2
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Re: The Hobbit (& it's sequel)

If they get Ian McKellen on board I'm interested. I don't know where they'd divide the movie, though. Mirkwood, maybe? Gandalf leaving?

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 07, 18:31   #3
vacantlook

Yeah, I don't know about the whole sequel thing. My initial thoughts were that they'd split the book in two, but I don't know. Some comments others have made elsewhere are that they think the first film will be The Hobbit as we know it and the second film will be something else entirely. One comment I read said they'd like to see something along the lines of what occurs during The Hobbit but that we don't see: things like the meeting of the White Council and Gandalf's trip to Dol Goldur to acertain for certain whether the Necromancer is Sauron.

On the splitting it in two category, I don't know if there's enough there to fill up a whole movie, but I could see having the ending of the first one with Bilbo getting the One Ring from Gollum.
Old December 18th 07, 19:19   #4
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

With Peter Jackson NOT directing it, I might be interested.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 07, 19:38   #5
vacantlook

What did you dislike about PJ's direction for LotR, Chilli?
Old December 18th 07, 20:00   #6
Chilli
High Treason Prevention Officer

Send a message via ICQ to Chilli Send a message via MSN to Chilli

Mostly .. it was boring.

Too much weight on the visuals (which were impressive as hell, given) while completely failing to engage me emotionally. The battle at Helm's Deep literally made me fall asleep - so much battling, so little giving-me-a-reason-to-give-a-damn, after the Fellowship.

It was the typical example of a movie that I thought might have been good if it had had a tenth of its budget.

I'm neither a puritan fan of the books, nor am I opposed to battle-heavy movies as a matter of principle (I LOVED Batman Begins) .. but it just completely failed at making me give a shit. It just felt like .. a whole lot of showing off. With New Zealand's majestic landscapes, of the grand orchestra, and of the possibilities special effects had opened. It made me more interested in the size of Peter Jackson's nose than in what was happening with the story.

Add what I've heard of King Kong, and I really I don't get the impression PJ can find moderation with all his fancy toys.

Last edited by Chilli; December 18th 07 at 20:08.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th 07, 04:26   #7
colonyearth
Psi Cop

Funny...these films moved me more than any film in a long time. To me the power of the emotional bonds were almost overpowering...and I'm known for my emotions.

Guess people are affected differently by different things.

CE
"In war, it is always the young and the powerless who are sent off to fight. Sent by leaders ... who are not themselves engaged in the battle; who do not bleed on the front lines; who do not die alone in the dark and friendless night." --JMS, "Babylon 5"

I need no avatar to display my person! I am mystery! See me...don't see me! Who am I?
colonyearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th 07, 04:36   #8
Alluveal
Psi Cop

This sequel things bothers me as well. I guess I also want to know if they will split the book into two movies or do something else. I might split it after they escape from the elves via the barrels. I don't know, I'd have to think about it. It's really just a big, long trip in the beginning with one stop after another after another, then Laketown and Smaug and the war at the end.

This is good news.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th 07, 05:05   #9
Recoil
First One

As far as I'm concerned, both Ian Holm AND Ian McKellen are required for this project to gain interest. And yes, it needs to continue Peter Jackson's vision and handling of the trilogy, in order for it to be a decent prequel.

That said, I'm glad to see it will be going forward. I hope it turns out as good as the trilogy.
Old December 19th 07, 15:44   #10
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I'm not a huge fan of PJ myself, after the way he butchered Return of the King (Sam would never have left! Denethor was fey and noble, not bats*** insane!). And yes, he definitely went overboard on the visuals more than once, although the Edoras sequence and Gandalf and the Balrog falling into the subterranean sea were beautiful.

I just checked my memory, and I see that there actually is a natural break in The Hobbit roughly at the midpoint: they get to the Lonely Mountain about 2/3 of the way through the book (halfway through by chapter), and the rest of it is dealing with Smaug. Since I expect PJ's "vision" will be continued to the point of making the Battle of the Five Armies take an hour, that actually works pretty well.

UPDATE: I've just heard a rumor that the second movie is actually going to "bridge the gap between the Hobbit and LotR." The prospect of which fills my heart with dread. The movies ran off the rails the further they got from the books (seriously, people, Tolkien's pace may have been slow, but he knew how to put together some good characters!), so if they try to run an entire movie with no book to back it up...

The Generous Grasp

Last edited by KoshFan; December 19th 07 at 15:50.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote