B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 4th 03, 17:57   #1
Sinclair

Band of Brothers

I know we had a thread about this way back when, but it was kind of long and the mini-series had just started.

Anyway, I got the DVD set for Christmas and just finished watching it for the second time since. I had never seen a single episode before December 26.

It was the best mini-series I've ever seen. The acting was great all the way from David Schwimmer's Captain Sobel to Damian Lewis' portrayal of Winters. It gave me a greater insight into what many soldiers had to go through during WWII. I was amazed at just how much Easy Company actually went through. They were all over the place, from D-Day at Normandy to Holland and France, and fought in some critical battles.

They had to endure the freezing cold of Bastogne, continue on after the deaths of friend after friend, and even capture Hitler's Crows Nest. They had to watch as replacements came in, and even watch themselves get injured and have to recuperate.

They did a great job of giving different perspectives to the war. They showed vantage points from a medic and the 2nd lieutenant to someone that had been injured and out of duty for a long period of time that returned to find how much different everyone was.

The best part was the opening of each episode when some of the actual survivors talked about their experiences and recalled events that had happened. The documentary on the last disc was great as a great many of the men of Easy Company talked about about what they went through and it helps you put the real faces on the people that were being portrayed.

All in all, I highly recommend this to anyone that hasn't seen it. Spielberg and Hanks did a fine job.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 03, 18:31   #2
Demonn
First One

Re: Band of Brothers

I bought the set when it first came out, and I really loved it. I really liked the end, when Captain Sobel Didn't solute Major Winters and Winters said... "You solute the rank, not the man." I loved that part, Sobel was a di*k. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I got to the end and Winters was talking about how everyone ended up... he finally got to himself. He said he bought a farm outside of Hershey PA. That was a shocker, it turns out he lives a few miles away from me. I'm not saying were but it's cool to find out something like that. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 03, 19:56   #3
kingfish
Dead Account

The mini-series was VERY good. I may have been the one who started the thread way back then.

Paul
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 03, 20:01   #4
Sinclair

I just checked and it was our dear friend G Kar of the Kha Ri that started it. I'm sure he'll jump in this new thread though.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th 03, 03:25   #5
G Kar of the Kha Ri
First One

Send a message via ICQ to G Kar of the Kha Ri Send a message via AIM to G Kar of the Kha Ri

Heheh, I was wondering when my name would pop up.

And what can I say that hasn't already been said? Besides, I've probably already said it before. But.... it WAS just that damn good. However, I have yet to get the DVDs.

*shakes his fist in the air*

And read the book sometime.
G Kar of the Kha Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th 11, 18:43   #6
Demonn
First One

Richard "Dick" Winters, died acouple days ago... he was 92.
Old January 19th 11, 04:38   #7
Sinclair

Yeah, I saw that. He was from a generation that is quickly disappearing. He will live on in the history books and in the miniseries.
Old January 26th 11, 18:46   #8
Recoil
First One

Yes I read that as well. He certainly has earned his Rest in Peace.
Old March 4th 14, 18:43   #9
Demonn
First One

They named a bridge in Hummelstown after him... it's a crap bridge though.
Old March 6th 14, 20:35   #10
Sinclair

It's kind of funny that you posted in this again as I've just started watching it again...for literally probably the 50th time!