• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New JMS Article

Probably not much new, but I just found this article published this week:

Comic Con Report: J. Michael Straczynski

Posted on Monday 22 September 2008

babylon5.jpg

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski touched upon a wide variety of subjects when he spoke in front of a crowded room at the San Diego Comic Con on Saturday July 26 2008. Without the aid of a moderator, Straczynski answered questions about such diverse topics as The Real Ghostbusters animated series, his upcoming movie projects, a proposed Babylon 5 video game and more.

The first question involved his script for the upcoming movie based on Max Brooks’s popular World War Z. Straczynski was happy to report that his script had been well received by the author and they were currently looking for a director.

DC Comics’ new Batman: The Brave and the Bold series was brought up. Straczynski discussed his desire to introduce Archie superheroes such as The Shield as well as creating bizarre pairings such as Supergirl and Solomon Grundy.

The conversation eventually turned to Straczynski’s most popular creation, Babylon 5. Straczynski seemed disappointed when he let the audience know that Warner Brothers was only interested in putting two million dollars into straight-to-DVD Babylon 5 movies. Straczynski said he felt that wasn’t nearly enough money to make the movies with the production values they deserve.

When a fan asked what would have happened to the show if it had been cancelled at the end of the fourth series, Straczynski stated that he had always had an ending in mind and that ending has never changed.

Another Babylon 5 titbit included the status of the rumored Babylon 5 video game. Straczynski explained that one had been on the drawing board, but he had decided to pull the plug on it when he learned that Warner Brothers again wanted to do it on the cheap.

Straczynski wouldn’t give any clues when asked what his next television project would be. He did let it be known that he had a good idea for a pilot, but that it would be more than a year before fans would hear anything about it.

When an enthusiastic Ghostbusters fan asked Straczynski about his involvement in the 80s DIC cartoon series The Real Ghostbusters, Straczynski said he remembered those day fondly. “They let me go and do whatever I wanted to do. It was probably the most fun I’d had doing something!” he enthused.

Other topics touched upon included Straczynski working on a Lensman script for Ron Howard to direct (which is currently being planned to be the first of a trilogy), Straczynski turning his Midnight Nation graphic novel into a screenplay, as well as an adaption of the Robert Sheckley’s Mindswap.
Gordon Holmes

http://www.dwscifi.com/features/2478-comic-con-report-j-michael-straczynski

{snip}
Probably not much new, but I just found this article published this week:
Other topics touched upon included Straczynski working on a Lensman script for Ron Howard to direct (which is currently being planned to be the first of a trilogy), Straczynski turning his Midnight Nation graphic novel into a screenplay, as well as an adaption of the Robert Sheckley’s Mindswap.

So Lensmen now has a director, good.

Mindswap - that is a story I do not know.

Not sure if Howard himself is directing, he may pass it on as he did the Changeling. Would love to hear more about this project though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back