• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Favourite musical score of B5?

mattikake

This doesn't seem to get a mention, but I think it should. Some of the music is superb and very apt.

The music almost all the way through The Long Twilight Struggle really stands out for me, especially the battle sequences. As does Severed Dreams. Anyone ever notice the music for the Open Air restuarant in series 2 a few times? Spot on! lol

But the title music for Series 5 is truly amazing. Really sticks in my head. Pity this is missing from Chris Frankes B5 musical CDs too. :( Such a shame it was only for Series 5 though and by far the thing that stands out for me the most. Soul stiring. Needs recognition I think, so there it is.

...Some of the music is superb and very apt.

As an owner of thirty, not counting Crusade, Babylon 5 CDs, I agree. I love listening to the music from B5.

But the title music for Series 5 is truly amazing. Really sticks in my head. Pity this is missing from Chris Frankes B5 musical CDs too. :( ...

The fifth season main title music is on The Best of Babylon 5 CD. Also fun from The Best of Babylon 5: the "Bonus Theme", which I think Franke had composed for the defunct Sierra video game.

Lets see musical score.....hhmm..........well for me the best one to spring to mind is in SiL (Sleeping in Light) near the very end where the shuttle leaves B5 for the last time and also as the station blows up. Inspiring yet humbling.

As with many things B5, it's almost impossible to choose just one favorite. Here are my top choices though, in no particular order:

Season 5 opening title
In the Beginning: track #6 (titled 'The War', I think)
Sleeping in Light: Entire disk but especially the part Kaz mentions ('Dying Station', I think)
the DVD Suite that came on the Season 4 DVDs
Messages from Earth CD

All of these are ones I can listen to over and over.

Jan

The fifth season main title music is on The Best of Babylon 5 CD. Also fun from The Best of Babylon 5: the "Bonus Theme", which I think Franke had composed for the defunct Sierra video game.

Ah, this CD I don't have but these appear to be the only tracks on here that would be new to me. Worth getting then?

Forgot the SiL B5 destruction music! How could I!?

Edit: btw, someone else took on the B5 video game as an private internet collaboration (free). Downloaded it a while back. Pretty good. Very faithful. No decent musical scores though...

Last edited:
Messages from Earth, imo, has the best soundtrack of any episode up to Into the Fire (I haven't gotten past that yet).

Messages from Earth, Severed Dreams, Sleeping in Light, and the short form of Z'ha'dum (for some reason the disc-length, 25-minute version wasn't as good as the single-track, 12-minute version).

Latest posts

Members online

Back