• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The mighty GKarsEye watches Firefly

I have only one request: after the movie comes back somebody post whether the flick contains any covered wagons.

If there is even one I think I'll skip it.

I've seen my third episode of Firefly ("Safe.") It comes together for me now. Whedon's world of high-tech Neo-Victorians who mix English and Chinese is real. Simon and River have become people I care about. Mal still sets my teeth on edge, and I'd just as soon see Jayne spaced, but I want to see more.

I've seen every episode so far, and while it's definitely worth the time it takes to watch, and I do really like a couple of the characters, it's still not must see TV for me, yet.

I understand the River character is coming out of a coccoon (as it were) still, but, she does grate on me a bit, and there's just something that is preventing me from falling in love completely with the show. I am still (at least currently) viewing it with the same level intensity as Stargate, rather than B5, Battlestar Galactica, or LOST. It's good, I'm just not seeing it as a masterpiece yet.

He strikes me as liu2 kou3shui3 de5 biao3zi5 he2 hou2zi5 de5 ben4 er2zi5 ("stupid son of a drooling whore and a monkey,") as Simon says.

I realize that he's a tough, no-nonsense kind of guy, Simon can be a stuck-up prig, and River a pain in the ass. My perspective may change as I watch more episodes. But Simon and River are the ones who've made the show click for me, and I sympathize with them for now.

The term is companion.

Actually, yesterday I was talking to my Rector about Firefly (I was telling him about my Jayne hats) and he thought it was a children's show.

I said, 'It is definately not a children's show. One of the crew members is a companion.'

Strangely, I didn't have to explain what I meant. :eek: :LOL:

The term is companion.

Actually, yesterday I was talking to my Rector about Firefly (I was telling him about my Jayne hats) and he thought it was a children's show.

I said, 'It is definately not a children's show. One of the crew members is a companion.'

Strangely, I didn't have to explain what I meant. :eek: :LOL:

Thank goodness for an educated clergyman!

Well certainly the RIver character is the central plot focus. Had the series lasted, they would have almost always made River the focus of any episode that wanted to push the plot forward (and will be so in the film).

The advantage of such an approach is make the character extremely interesting. Everytime she's on screen I'm hoping "is she gonna do something new?" And even when she's annoying, I knew there was a point and it was to go somewhere. Though other characters are more likeable, none had that effect.

The disadvantage is that it's putting all of your eggs in one basket. What if that plot line was a bust, or the actress can't stay? The whole show would have been ruined.

She was the strongest element, but by no means the only. Mal's journey alone would make a good tale, although perhaps not enough for television.

Those two, I think, would be very closely linked.

We could also have the tale of Wash and Zoe's baby, and Simon and Kaylee's eventual romance. I suspect Jayne might have gotten more interesting, too; Whedon loves doing that.

No spoilers here...but Serenity focusses on River's story...which is predominantly wrapped up in the movie (no surprise there; movies tend to need a certain degree of closure, after all).

Yet there's definitely scope for sequels...

VB

Just found out that I may get to go to a press screening of said movie in London next week. As I'm seeing this for free I can't complain! Not allowed to review it till Spetember 28th though...

After seeing "Our Mrs. Reynolds," I'm beginning to warm up to Mal. It's obvious from the behavior of the crew that he's set everyone's teeth on edge from time to time, but he's a decent guy. This is my first exposure to a Whedon show, and I am impressed by the deep, intricate interaction between the characters.

The best scene was between Inara and Saffron.
"You're good."
"You're amazing."
I loved it.

This is my first exposure to a Whedon show, and I am impressed by the deep, intricate interaction between the characters.

Yeah, Whedon's shows are known for the crazy amount of layering and connection between the various characters. I think it's one of the things I love so much about his shows. The characters (the main ones at least) never feel only partially created. Even if everything about them doesn't get to be revealed, it has always felt to me like there's more there that I don't get to see. Which can be such a nice thing since I think a lot of shows have characters that have rather superficial characterizations.

The best scene was between Inara and Saffron.
"You're good."
"You're amazing."
I loved it.

Yeah, that was a great scene!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back