• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 books and Movies

superbob

Regular
I need some help here, can someone help me out with the B5 movies and books
crazy.gif

What I need to know is what their names are and where the fit in the timeline exactly. I'm sure that this has been asked before but i need to get my collection up to speed and B5 merchandise is more scarce than ducks teeth in my country. Amazon works in dollars which puts a serious dent in my budget. I do have other contacts and sources but I need exact info. I'm on my knees here people help me pleeasssssssssseeeeeeee!

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"
-------------------------
the present becomes the past, the past becomes history, history becomes legend, legend becomes myth, myth becomes obscurity! please pass the flarn!

Chronological timeline:

2245: In the Beginning (main story)
2257: The Gatherning
2258 - 2261: Season 1 - Season 4 of B5
2261: Thirdspace (somewhere between 4x08 and 4x10)
2262: Season 5 except the last episode Sleeping in Light
2263: Rivers of Soul
2265: Legend of the Rangers
end of 2266: A Call to Arms
2267: Crusade
2278: In The Beginning (Londo)
2281: Sleeping in Light

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOmega:
Chronological timeline:

2245: In the Beginning (main story)
2257: The Gatherning
2258 - 2261: Season 1 - Season 4 of B5
2261: Thirdspace (somewhere between 4x08 and 4x10)
2262: Season 5 except the last episode Sleeping in Light
2263: Rivers of Soul
2265: Legend of the Rangers
end of 2266: A Call to Arms
2267: Crusade
2278: In The Beginning (Londo)
2281: Sleeping in Light
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> Babylon 5 Book #7 - The Shadow Within (11/2256 - 01/2257)

<LI> Babylon 5 Book #9 - To Dream in the City of Sorrows (Marcus in 10/2260, recalling events of 1/2259-9/2260)

<LI> Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps (2115-2189)

<LI> Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant (2189-2258)

<LI> Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester (2271-2281)

<LI> Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime (2262-2267)

<LI> Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark (2267-2273)

<LI> Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness (2274-2278)

<LI> The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows (11/2258-12/31/2258)

<LI> The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light (1/2259-2/2259)

<LI> The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness (8/2260-2261)

[/list]

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 11, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by superbob:
I need some help here, can someone help me out with the B5 movies and books
crazy.gif

What I need to know is what their names are and where the fit in the timeline exactly. I'm sure that this has been asked before but i need to get my collection up to speed and B5 merchandise is more scarce than ducks teeth in my country. Amazon works in dollars which puts a serious dent in my budget. I do have other contacts and sources but I need exact info. I'm on my knees here people help me pleeasssssssssseeeeeeee!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Superbob,
Bear with me here...thanks to a nasty injury, I'm typing one-handed, but hey...this is a pretty important question - it's about B5!

There are three trilogies - the Bester trilogy, the Centauri trilogy, and the Technomage trilogy; 3 movie/books - "In The Beginning," "A Call To Arms," and "Thirdspace"; 2 movies that have not been made into books - "Legend Of The Rangers" and "River Of Souls"; and 9 Dell books, most of which are not considered canon, but a few of which are must-reads. There are comics as well, but I know nothing of them. However, here are my thoughts on each of the books/trilogies/movies I've mentioned. Keep in mind, the ratings are in "B5" scale - meaning that "bad" ratings are still good material, unless I specifically say it's really, really, really awful.

-----
Bester Trilogy: as a whole - 4 stars

If you liked the episode, "The Corps Is Mother, The Corps Is Father," then this trilogy is for you.

Book 1: Dark Genesis: The Birth Of The Psi Corps
Timeframe: pre-Babylon 5
Rating: 4 stars
Some find it a difficult book due to interspersed news items.

Book 2: Deadly Relations: Bester Ascendent
Timeframe: pre-Babylon 5 to Ironheart episode
Rating: 3 stars
Not really my cup of tea.

Book 3: Final Reckoning: The Fate Of Bester
Timeframe: approx. 15 years after Objects In Motion
Rating: 5 stars
Classic Garibaldi, who is my favorite B5 character.

-----
Legions Of Fire (Centauri Trilogy): as a whole 5 stars

Book 1: The Long Night Of Centauri Prime
Timeframe: Starts with Londo getting his keeper
Rating: 5 Stars
**MUST-READ**.

Book 2: Armies Of Light And Dark
Timeframe: Starts at 5-year anniversary of Interstellar Alliance
Rating: 4 Stars

Book 3: Out Of The Darkness
Timeframe: Concludes 18 years after end of the Shadow War
Rating: 5 Stars
**MUST-READ**.
-----

The Passing Of The Techno-Mages: As a whole, 4 stars

Book 1: Casting Shadows
Timeframe: 2257-58
Rating: 3 stars
This book was slow reading for me.

Book 2: Summoning Light
Timeframe: Early 2259
Rating: 5 stars
Watch the episode with the Techno-Mages before reading this book!

Book 3: Invoking Darkness
Timeframe: Late 2260
Rating: 4 stars
Watch "And The Rock Cried Out No Hiding Place" and "Z'ha'dum" before reading.
-----

Movies:

A Call To Arms: 3 stars
Timeframe: 5 year anniversary of Interstellar Alliance

Thirdspace: 2 stars
Timeframe: 2260 or 2261

River Of Souls: 1 star
Timeframe: post-B5 season 5

Legend Of The Rangers: 4 stars
Timeframe: 2 or 3 years after B5 season 5.

In The Beginning: 5 stars
Timeframe: Earth-Minbari War

-----
Dell Books

1: Voices - 3 stars
2: Accusations - 2 stars
3: Blood Oath - 4 stars
4: Clark's Law - *BOMB* - no stars
5: The Touch Of Your Shadow, the Whisper Of Your Name - 2 stars
6: Betrayals - 4 stars
7: The Shadow Within - 3 stars
8: Personal Agendas - 2 stars
9: To Dream In The City Of Sorrows - 5 stars

Advice - read "The Shadow Within" before beginning the Techno-Mage trilogy. Read "To Dream In The City Of Sorrows" immediately (assuming you've seen the episode where Neroon challenges Delenn's choice as head of the Rangers). AVOID "Clark's Law," unless you just want to see how NOT to write the characters of Babylon 5. It's bad enough to call it heresy. Although only books 7 and 9 are considered in any part canon, other than minor details, all books except book 4 COULD BE considered canon without causing much conflict.

My advice is to start with the Centauri trilogy, then read "To Dream In The City Of Sorrows," then "The Shadow Within" followed by the Techno-Mage trilogy, followed by the Bester trilogy.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joev5638:
Dell Books

1: Voices - 3 stars
2: Accusations - 2 stars
3: Blood Oath - 4 stars
4: Clark's Law - *BOMB* - no stars
5: The Touch Of Your Shadow, the Whisper Of Your Name - 2 stars
6: Betrayals - 4 stars
7: The Shadow Within - 3 stars
8: Personal Agendas - 2 stars
9: To Dream In The City Of Sorrows - 5 stars

Advice - read "The Shadow Within" before beginning the Techno-Mage trilogy. Read "To Dream In The City Of Sorrows" immediately (assuming you've seen the episode where Neroon challenges Delenn's choice as head of the Rangers). AVOID "Clark's Law," unless you just want to see how NOT to write the characters of Babylon 5. It's bad enough to call it heresy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find it hard to believe you could give The Shadow Within - 3 stars, and The Touch Of Your Shadow, the Whisper Of Your Name - 2 stars. I'd have given The Shadow Within - 4 or 5 stars, and The Touch Of Your Shadow, the Whisper Of Your Name - *BOMB* - no stars.

AVOID "The Touch Of Your Shadow, the Whisper Of Your Name," unless you just want to see how NOT to write the characters of Babylon 5. It's bad enough to call it heresy. Hooooo is it ever BAD!
frown.gif
tongue.gif

[<font size=2 color=#40B040>Mr. Yuk </font>emoticon]

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 11, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by superbob:
I'm sure that this has been asked before but i need to get my collection up to speed and B5 merchandise is more scarce than ducks teeth in my country. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Others have done an excellent job with the timeline and listing of the books, but you may want to check out my Babylon 5 web site since it has a comprehensive listing of most of the media (books, comics, music, videos, etc.) that was made for the show. It has reviews and links to purchase them. I am not sure how much help it will be for where you are located but maybe it will help some.

Good luck!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Rangers Sponsor List
Words are magical. Intellectual banquets. Orgies of ideas. --Anaïs Nin

I beg to differ...I won Clark's Law on auction(by way of the abbyss), and I am enjoying it! And it is out of print & not as easy to find as the other books...exception- City of Sorrows.

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

[This message has been edited by FlarnChef (edited February 11, 2002).]

i still need to get some cash together and read some of these
laugh.gif

------------------

You are now all officially my favouritist peoples in the whole world. Christmas list vip rating for all of you!
Seriously guys thanks a million for all the help, especially joev5638, hope the arm gets better soon! I appreciate the star ratings but as a fellow B5 follower you'll understand when I say I'm going to make my own rating.
laugh.gif
Now I can at least go out and hunt for all the goodies so that I can get in on the discussions revolving around the book arguments/ dicussions!
wink.gif

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"
-------------------------
the present becomes the past, the past becomes history, history becomes legend, legend becomes myth, myth becomes obscurity! please pass the flarn!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back