• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Battlestar Galactica Eps 1 & 2

Jendia

Beyond the rim
Holy crap, did you guys see episodes "33" and "Water" for the series premiere??
Finally, good television again!!
I want to know everyone's thoughts.
Acting was terrific; effects, pretty darn good. Tension was AMAZING.

Jendia :eek:

[Spoilers]

I liked them both. Not sure whats going on with Helio (sp?) back on Caprica, or what the point of that arc is, but I'm sure its there for a reason and will be interesting.

I do like how this show is also taking a logical approach to the situation they are in, which is very much unlike what the original did.

In the original, you had the attack/masacare, then the Galactica escaped. Obviously the original wasn't as gritty and realistic in its portrayal of a post-holocost as it could have been...but the real difference was in the series. After the Galactica escaped, they went right into their "episode of the week" kind of format. Fight your random cylon. Meet your random colony. Etc...

This series is different, in that not only did it pick up right where the mini left off where they are being vigorously pursued by the cylons, but the fleet and the President are addressing very realistic problems currently. They were talking about how much food and water they would need to sustain 50,000 people. They were taking constant population counts, and doing what it takes to get out of the immediate attack, as well as forming a plan to rid out cylon spies.

Determing how bad you were hit, and what it will take to keep alive who you have is a very logical approach. I like the human element of the President having a white board with "how many are left in the human race" on it, and her keeping it updated.

So far I really like how the series is being done, its exciting and believable.

I do hope that down the road they eventually get into the whole "Lords of Kobol" mythos at some point, as well as stumble across some proof of the existance of Earth...but for the time being, I don't think that should be the immediate focus of the series. Survival at this point is what it needs to be about, and so far...it is.

Galactica rules. :)

It's Helo, Recoil. He's my favourite guy, so you have to get it right. ;)

I think with the old one, the Cylons were phased out midway season one, and after that it was just pretty boring.

The cool thing season one of the new show is that doesn't happen. The Cylons do go on a backburner, but the show is in no war boring. So they survived that problem straight away.

As to the mythlogy/Kobol stuff. Let's look at this way. Ron Moore worked on DS9, where gods lived next door and the lead of the series was the Emissary to the prophets with a destiny. He worked on Roswell, lots of myth and destiny. Carnivale... yeah, plenty of religion and myth and destiny. They're really throwing themselves into this later in the season.

Galactia rules. You Yanks better watch this in BIG numbers. I want season two!

We're almost at the end of S1 here in the UK, it really is nice to be sitting on spoilers whilst our transatlantic cousins are behind us for a change!

This show rocks. And yeah, mythology and destiny play an increasingly large part in the series as it goes on. Complete with ass-kicking Cylons...

My favourite chick is Cally, who works on the deck crews. She really is cute.

I have to admit, I was surprised at just how good the first two episodes were. They really are dramatic, well written and well acted.

I read somewhere that one critic's only complaint was that the show is almost *too* grim. I can see that, but after the tension and tragedy draws people in to watching, there may be more room later for a nice balance between drama, romance, humor, etc.

As a way of further setting up the challenge of surviving and the danger of Cylon presence (is Boomer a Cylon or just being controlled by them?), the first two episodes did an excellent job.

It does lighten up ater on. Then it goes pear again...

Good classic story telling really, create a problem, resolve it, then have an even worse crisis come along!

The Boomer thing is very cool.. *Nggh, MUST NOT SPOIL!*

I must say I was concerned at first with some of the proposed changes (starbuck a female, boomer a cylon/not cylon?) but I really like it. I like it so much that I am in a quandry, I can only Tivo 2 shows at a time and 3 of my favorites (including Battlestar Galactica) are on at the same time :mad:

Heh thats right, I forgot its almost done with S1 in the UK. Guess we need 2 types of spoiler posts in there. UK Spoiler, and US Spoiler. :p

Well I would love to hear the spoilers (I am the type who likes to read the last page of a book before actually starting the book) :p. I am really eager for epp 3 with Richard Hatch. I have heard both good and bad things on previews from the critics.

I too like it. I watched all of 33 and was quite impressed, but, Water, I was distracted during as I was cooking breakfast, so I missed most of (recorded Friday night, watched Saturday morning).

Recoil, yea, the whiteboard really added a creepy touch.

Antony, great to hear about the whole mythos of the 13th tribe, I was a little saddened to see in the Pilot that Adama made it clear he was BSing about it, and there was no such place as Earth. I figured the series could be good without it, but, felt it would be richer if it turned out the mythos was real afterall.

Starbuck was portrayed much better in these two episodes than in the Pilot Mini, she really grated on me in the Mini.

What a quandry to be in, 4 good shows on Friday night now (Enterprise and SG-1 at 8, Atlantis at 9, and BSG at 10. Fortunately Enterprise is on Saturday as well.

I forgot about Enterprise repeating on Saturday...that solves my problem :D I can Tivo my two shows at 7C and still Tivo SG1 & Atlantis, Thanks!! I really liked the epp 'Water' I am waiting to see what they have in store for Boomer. Anyone have any insight on how they are developing Baltar's character? I haven't quite decided if I like the way his character is going. Without spoiling, can anyone give a general idea on his character development?

Antony, great to hear about the whole mythos of the 13th tribe, I was a little saddened to see in the Pilot that Adama made it clear he was BSing about it, and there was no such place as Earth.

I know, it sucks that Earth doesn't exist. :( If Earth doesn't exist, does that mean we don't exist? If we don't exist, does that mean we're a product of someone's imagination? :confused: If we're not here, that means there's no Battlestar Galactica show, and if there's no show, there's no discussion thread about it, which means I'm not really posting right now. Right? Uh... :confused:

Look, there's a monkey! :LOL:

-----

It sounds like Enterprise repeats on Saturday nights for a lot of others too. I remember Voyager doing that also. I thought that was done at the local affiliate level, but is it actually done at the UPN network level? I don't watch the show either way; I'm just curious how that works.

Well, Adama never said Earth didn't exist, only that he made up the story about its location. Earth is still, for them, in the realm of legend.

I'm not yet sold on the show. I saw the first two eps. They were okay. I just get pissed when they roll off all those positive reviews and nobody gives B5 any props.

SPOILER:

The part where Apollo destroys the liner was very reminiscent of Bester forcing Byron to destroy the ship in Season 5. The only difference is this ship was armed to blow with nukes, was running the blockade, and Apollo couldn't see any people in the windows. Even if there were passengers in there, they were as good as dead already. So he was completely justified in his actions and is being a big puss. Byron blew up a ship just to teach those mundanes a lesson. MUCH more drama there, but then it was TNT, wasn't it? :LOL:

I'll keep watching for a bit. I've got nothing else to do on Fridays.

Galactia rules. You Yanks better watch this in BIG numbers. I want season two!

Absofragginlutley dammit!

Last night was the penultimate episode of this season here in the UK and...WOW!

That's all I can really say, as it left me gasping for breath, and screaming at the screen for the next episode. I'm both impatient to see how it's all going to come together, and dreading the fact that the next episode is the last :(

As I said...WOW!

Well, Adama never said Earth didn't exist, only that he made up the story about its location. Earth is still, for them, in the realm of legend.
Yea, its no different than the original in that respect. Adama in the current version made up the part about all ship commanders knowing the secret location...when obviously they dont. But there is still a "legend" about Earth, the 13th tribe, and in the original series, it was still a legend about a 13th tribe.

Absofragginlutley dammit!

Last night was the penultimate episode of this season here in the UK and...WOW!
Couldn't agree more. No worries US fans, it keeps getting better and better :)

All blame to SFC if this don't get good ratings.

Hey, if SG-1 can run on Sci-Fi channel (and Showtime for a little bit) for 3984750239847509238547 years, then I think Galactica has a couple years in it at least.

Well, hell, they're playing the crap out of BSG episodes 1 & 2 every day it seems. I think SFC knows it's got a gem; I mean, check out the media reviews the shows got...how often does that happen to stuff on SFC? Not that often.
Damn, I'm SO envious of you UK folks, but happy too that you've finally got dibs before we do on this side of the pond.
IS IT FRIDAY YET??
:)

Jendia

*All* blame? Shouldn't, say, the people who aren't watching it but could be deserve some blame?

Does anyone else get a bit of an Alexander Siddig vibe from James Callis (Baltar)? The voice is similar, and Baltar looks a bit like Bashir from the mirror universe.

Back