• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 TV Movie DVD Set Release Info (August 17th)

i have a question that i can't seem to find any info about. is the version of The Gathering on the movie set the re-edit (the new version with new music) or the original (the one on the flipper disc)?

jeez...i can't wait for a Crusade release date...

The one on the flipper disc is the re-edit with the new music. The credits on the cover are wrong. :) The version in the 5-disc movie set will likewise be the re-edit, which is JMS's preferred version. The original cut a never been released on DVD in the U.S. - or on any other form of home video here except for the first production run of the Columbia House VHS release, which quickly sold out. By the time they had created more tapes and resumed shipments, Warner Bros. had provided them with a master tape of the 1998 version and that's what they sold from then on.

Regards,

Joe

Firstly, hello to everyone here. It's about time I contributed something (and probably only very little as it transpires) to B5 discussions, having watched the show for these 10 years.

Secondly, being a resident of the UK, here's the whinge: Yes, it *is* pretty bad that - once again - there's discrepancies between the R1 & R2 versions of boxsets (specifically the TV films one). First we lose the blooper reel from the season 1 release, and now...

Even though the first 2 films were more expensive over here, I don't think releasing all 5 would have affected R2 sales much - if at all. I think people would have bought the set to get the extras (specifically commentaries on the first 2 movies, which we now won't hear) - and any "dropping off" should have been balanced by the price hike for the 2 extra discs.

Irritating. And I'd love to go for Region 1 (banking on the fact that I'll get a multi-region player eventually and watch my VHS copies until then) but is the picture quality the same? Forgive my ignorance - but given that the show was produced for American television, will I see a difference buying a disc which is specifically designed for NTSC, as opposed to PAL?

I know that there's a visible difference in, say, a NTSC version of "Monty Python's Flying Circus", but I'm presuming that the picture all of us see in B5 (in whatever region) is 525 lines?

Be nice. I'm new.

Jump Now

Here are some observations about your post. First I was under the impression that the easter egg dropped from the R2 release of season 1 was a season trailer in the same vein as the episode previews which also were omitted from the region 2 season 1 release.

Regarding the PAL/NTSC debate I have come to believe for various reasons that there are seperate PAL masters made for B5. I have not seen any official confirmation though. If I am correct in my assessment then region 2 enjoys the higher PAL resolution but also the PAL speedup.

I bow to your wisdom, Kosomot.

If I learn to post when I'm less irritated and more awake, I might remember things like the fact that B5 was shot on film (as most things are these days) - so there's bound to be a difference in picture resolution between regions.

So I'll just have to buy the movie boxset twice.

When I'm ricer than I am now.

First we lose the blooper reel from the season 1 release, and now...
As far as I know, the only Easter egg on R1 Season 1 had some trailers. There is no blooper reel on R1 Season 1. :)

Thanks for setting me right, L. Trailers I can live without. And I have to say, those previews for the individual episodes are just *awful*. Your typical generic promo slot with a voiceover sounding far too serious about the whole thing - not too far removed from a spoof, actually. And they don't look to me like they were done at the time (when the show was on), so what's the point?

Disk space could have been used so much more effectively by showing more of the interviews they've recorded with the cast. It seems such a shame that they've gone to all the trouble of getting about 95% of the cast back (which is wonderful) only to edit the material down to a 5 minute introduction to each season.

I'm sure disk space isn't the issue at all, but it's still disappointing that we don't see more of these interviews.

Anyway, thanks to the pair of you for shoehorning some facts into the discussion. That's what you get when you listen to Hearsay.*

*The "joke" for UK posters is "well, at least it's better than listening to One True Voice". :rolleyes:

Will WB release a R1 moviebox in europe or do we have to settle for the three movie set?!?! :eek:

"If you fall off a mountain, you might as well try to fly"
B5Suomi

Will WB release a R1 moviebox in europe

Since R1 (Region 1) means "not Europe" by definition it is a little hard to see how they could. I suppose it is possible that a 5 movie PAL set could be released by other WB entities in Europe proper, with only the UK getting the three movie set. Marketing conditions are different in different countries, which is why the first two movies and even the individual seasons did not get identical releases in all of Region 2. People keep talking as if there is a single "Region 2" release of every DVD title, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Even if there is no PAL version of the 5 movie box released over there, you could still order the R1 version from any DVD importer or direct from many north American sites. But the R1 version itself will not be commercially released on store shelves in R2, since that would sorta defeat the purpose of having regions in the first place.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks Joe!
Oh well I've just about had enough of this shit! WB europe can go to hell well as I'm conserned! I just hacked my DVD player and made it region free, thus I'm ordering S5 and Movieset on R1.

And about the covers...thank God for people like Ric Easton. Yep, I'm gonna buy some new cases and change all my B5 season to the new ones. Besides the original covers are screwed up anyhow, so the changing'em won't be so devastating. If Ric could be so kind and make a cover for the moviebox which would match with the earlier ones.

Ric where are thou?

"If you fall off a mountain, you might as well try to fly"
B5Suomi

the TV Movie set has been pulled back on R2 release til 27th Sep 2004. I expect its just another shafting for R2 - but maybe we could get something more than 3 movies?!?!? lol didnt think so.

I'd noticed that some web retailers are advertising it's released on August 16th while others are saying September 27th!! Is that the reason? Cause it's been put back?? :mad:

I received notice on the 12th that my copy had shipped and the movie set showed up today in the mail. I guess that control of the release date is not being handled very well. But I'm glad I got it early. :D :D :D :D :D

My R1, 5 disc Movie Set arrived in the post this morning :D :D
One loose disc but no scratches. Standard R1 packaging that's the same size as all the season sets......My cup runneth over! :LOL:
MULTIREGION RULES!!! (WB UK can kiss my arse! :p)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back