• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

I would be very surprised if JMS had not submitted a plan for the next 2 years. Say 2 DVDs in 2008 and 4 in 2009. After that he can ask Warner Brothers to make it a continuing series.

Whereas I think JMS will make any future ones of these in between writing gigs for a-list producers and directors.

We should be watching for news about a non-B5 TV series in a couple of months, though, from what he said at Comic-Con.

Jan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the TLT DVD extras, didn't JMS say that he had no intention of directing future TLT installments....that he was only doing the first one in order to set the tone? If so, then one would imagine that JMS's busy work schedule would not be so much of an issue for scheduling production on future installments. A writer/producer doesn't have to be onset every day, while (obviously) a director does.

The actual shooting is probably only the second least time consuming thing about these. JMS has always been heavily involved in the casting and post production aspects such as editing and spotting the music and supervising the CG. I tend to think that he'd likely be on set for at least the next few, too. Remember, too, that there's no crew simply waiting to do these. He's going to hire crew every single time. Hopefully many of the crew from this disk will be available but there's no guarantee.

Jan

The guy who wrote the review with the '6 discs' figure in it also posted it on imdb. I asked him where he got it from, and he never responded.

I would be very surprised if JMS had not submitted a plan for the next 2 years. Say 2 DVDs in 2008 and 4 in 2009. After that he can ask Warner Brothers to make it a continuing series.

Whereas I think JMS will make any future ones of these in between writing gigs for a-list producers and directors.

For the person who wants to see more in the B5 universe this is not a good thing. Talk about slooooooooooooooooow.

We should be watching for news about a non-B5 TV series in a couple of months, though, from what he said at Comic-Con.

JMS being spread thinner and thinner is not good.

Man, waiting for the next B5-TLT DVD will be like watching paint dry, grass grow, etc.

Writing the episodes is the easy part. Getting money to pay for them is much harder.

Finding the cast and crew available is also much harder.

For the person who wants to see more in the B5 universe this is not a good thing. Talk about slooooooooooooooooow.

JMS being spread thinner and thinner is not good.

Man, waiting for the next B5-TLT DVD will be like watching paint dry, grass grow, etc.

Finding the cast and crew available is also much harder.

I'm sure that you'll want to throw something through the monitor at me for this but you also have to remember that there's probably going to be a long and bitter writer's strike later this year. JMS seemed to think that a strike lasting 6 months or longer was probable. Here's a link from Variety.com that outlines the depressing state of negotiations at present. Short version: They may not reconvene until September and the WGA contract expires Oct. 31, 2007.

I'm thankful that I'm a JMS fan rather than restricting myself to B5. 'Cause I think in the next couple of years there'll be some great JMS stuff hitting the theaters.

Jan

I'm sure that you'll want to throw something through the monitor at me for this but you also have to remember that there's probably going to be a long and bitter writer's strike later this year.

Can't. It's a brandy new monitor. :eek:

JMS seemed to think that a strike lasting 6 months or longer was probable.

Oh no, MORE "REALITY" TV! AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!! :mad:

I'll be reading my backlog of novels and watching the titles in my Netflix queue (currently at 175 DVDs), instead of watching TV.

I'm thankful that I'm a JMS fan rather than restricting myself to B5. 'Cause I think in the next couple of years there'll be some great JMS stuff hitting the theaters.

For me, B5 & Crusade storylines are much more important than all that other stuff, and I think that with so much of that other stuff going on, the B5 releases are going to be spread so far apart that nothing much will get accomplished or resolved. All this glitzy A-list stuff will divert attention away from the B5 stuff, with no end in sight. Meanwhile, everybody's getting older.

Not good.

Originally Posted by Jan
JMS seemed to think that a strike lasting 6 months or longer was probable.

Oh no, MORE "REALITY" TV! AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!! :mad:

I'll be reading my backlog of novels and watching the titles in my Netflix queue (currently at 175 DVDs), instead of watching TV.

That is exactly what I thought. :eek: Gameshows and idiot reality t.v. Good time to expand my Netflix list. Prices just went down, too.

I watched my copy of TLT tales last night and I really liked it. :) It's nice to see some brand new B5. :cool:

According to the Amazon websites, the R1 release is 75mins and the R2 is 69mins. I wonder why the difference? Or is this just a typo?

75 minutes to 72 minutes could just be the different play rates.
The remaining 3 minutes may be something like adverts, although it is worth checking to see if all the extras are present.

My wife and I watched TLT the other night and sorry to report we were both quite disappointed. Both of our reaction was....we waited all this time for that??? In my opinion, the two episodes were very average B5 at best. The first episode was barely better than the worst episodes of B5 and the second episode was decent, but no better than an average B5 episode. I can't see anyone outside a hardcore B5 fan liking and/or buying this dvd. That being the case, it likely represents a very sad end to what was once a great show.

75 minutes to 72 minutes could just be the different play rates.
The remaining 3 minutes may be something like adverts, although it is worth checking to see if all the extras are present.
I think TLT may have been acquired in 24fps. PAL releases traditionally are sped up compared to the NTSC releases, to compensate for a difference in framerate. NTSC doesn't run on 24fps either, but there the speed of the video can be preserved by doing a pulldown.

E.g. if you have LotR on R2 DVD, try checking the length your DVD player gives versus what it says on IMDB. You should notice quite a few minutes missing. That's because the film was sped up as to let the 24 fps run at PAL's 25fps.

Just a note to those who have pre-ordered TLT from Amazon UK.

The price has dropped to £8.48, but Amazon didn't automatically update my order to reflect the new price. I had to contact them, but the did change it pretty quickly.

You may want to check your order to see if they have changed it, or you might want to contact them yourselves.

Since I'm ordering 3 discs at once, I'm getting free postage with Amazon, too. And even if I wasn't, my book/DVD/comic obsession would mean I could probably lump it in with another order at a similar time of the month for free postage*. :^)

* For example, Battlestar Galactica Season 3 comes out at the same time, and that's well over the free postage price limit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back