• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The merits of Byron

Last night I watched Byron die again. It was great- I had snacks and everything, and I was cheering for Bestor.
"And we will all come together in a better place..."
Yeah, in hell, blondie! :devil:

Last night I watched Byron die again. It was great- I had snacks and everything, and I was cheering for Bestor.
"And we will all come together in a better place..."
Yeah, in hell, blondie! :devil:

Don't hold back, GKE, tell us how you really feel. :LOL:

Byron's purpose was simply to give Lyta a purpose. JMS set Byron up as yet another Christ-figure (along with Sheridan and Sinclair and probably a few others). It's a good thing that at least one of them wasn't sympathetic. That said, I found him annoying and illogical, too. Give me Bester any day. A strong anti-hero is always more interesting than a whiny "hero".

My question is: do short-haired telepaths have to grow their hair for two years before they can join the club? What the heck was that all about?

Byron's purpose was simply to give Lyta a purpose. JMS set Byron up as yet another Christ-figure (along with Sheridan and Sinclair and probably a few others). It's a good thing that at least one of them wasn't sympathetic. That said, I found him annoying and illogical, too. Give me Bester any day. A strong anti-hero is always more interesting than a whiny "hero".

My question is: do short-haired telepaths have to grow their hair for two years before they can join the club? What the heck was that all about?

LOL, I think the long hair was just an added indicator that they were running for their lives and didn't even have time to get haircuts. Plus it made a good wick when Byron turned them into candles :LOL:

I think the long hair was just an added indicator that they were running for their lives and didn't even have time to get haircuts.

You've got to be kidding! Those pretty boys had perfect hair (at least the guys). They must've spent hours every day with conditioner and blow-dryers. That's the real reason they had to come together at Babylon 5 - they needed to buy more product.

I think Byron was great and I don't know why everyone hates him so much!
And yes I have not had my little white and yellow pill in quite some time! :D

Re: Cutting Byron from season 5

I absolutely agree with Jade J. LAY OFF BYRON! I admire his determination and non-violent stance, and personally thought that the sense of family and love amongst the majority of hs people beautiful and admirable. If the idea of hugging the peple you care about and singing together about your dreams makes you uncomfortable, that's your problem, and I think it is a sad example of how cold and selfish the world has become, that we should scoff at such genuine, open-hearted behaviour. And if you think I'm soft for thinking this, again, your problem.

a better place than this!

You're missing the point. The fact that so many became violent and petty as soon they ran into trouble means they were following a cult of personality. And we know the telepath war was.. well, a war, violent. Where was Byron's peace without him?

It was also implied that he bagged the chicks in his group. Classic cult-leader behavior (David Koresh, etc).

I stand by what I have said here before. I don't think Byron was meant to be a "likeable" character.

The whole storyline indicated to me that he was intended as a character whose situation and goals we could sympathise with, but who made us feel massively uncomfortable as a person, both for the power that he held in his mind, his single-mindedness to achieve his goals whatever the cost to himself, and the fact that (as noted above) his followers more violent tendencies were only being held in check by the force of his personality.

I loved the character of Byron for all those reasons - even though I didn't actually like him.

And as for the criticism of him being too like Marcus for fans to deal with ... erm ... that was precisely the point. It was those similarities to Marcus that were supposed to draw Ivanova to him - unfortunately that part of the story went out of the window when CC decided not to come back.

The most poignant part of the Byron story for me was when the telepath terrorist announced he would shoot the hostages, saying "after all, to us--" and Byron completes the sentence, "they're only mundanes." At that terrible, bitter moment, Byron understood why he had failed. He was still Bester's protege. He hated and despised the mundanes as much as Bester did -- jms makes that clear in the earlier episodes. He realized that was what made him make the decisions that led to disaster, and the despair that understanding brought upon him led to his suicide.

This is now my chance to air my oppinion on a subject that has been annoying me for sometime on B5 sites. Robin Atkin Downs was a strong addition to season 5 & he's a good actor. I liked the charater, and he also had some of the best moments and lines of that season. i'm also glad that my favorite character, Lyta, got to play the love interest with Claudia's departure. let's face it, there were far more irritating characters in the series, ie Billy mumy as Lennier for one. but then again, things like this only draw you into caring and hating characters, making watching more enjoyable.

Oh, I'm sure Robin Atkin Downs is a great actor, and he pulled off Byron well. I think we're supposed to dislike him.
And I am compelled to defend Lennier's honour. Denn'boks at dawn?

This is now my chance to air my oppinion on a subject that has been annoying me for sometime on B5 sites. Robin Atkin Downs was a strong addition to season 5 & he's a good actor. I liked the charater, and he also had some of the best moments and lines of that season. i'm also glad that my favorite character, Lyta, got to play the love interest with Claudia's departure. let's face it, there were far more irritating characters in the series, ie Billy mumy as Lennier for one. but then again, things like this only draw you into caring and hating characters, making watching more enjoyable.

Dude, Lennier rocked!!! Byron was always to prim to be likeable. I take offence to overtly ifeminate British men on TV anyway, but he did not help.
Good point though, at least we are getting an emotional response.

There's alotta love for Lennier. But interesting that you brought him up because I also wanted to punch him sometimes, like Byron (who I wanted to punch all the time).

And I don't think people now criticise the actor (though I remember once reading that he wouldn't get a lot of attention at conventions).

And I don't think people now criticise the actor (though I remember once reading that he wouldn't get a lot of attention at conventions).

That was said by Pat (Lyta) Tallman and was before Season 5 had been broadcast.

I stand by what I have said here before. I don't think Byron was meant to be a "likeable" character.

The whole storyline indicated to me that he was intended as a character whose situation and goals we could sympathise with, but who made us feel massively uncomfortable as a person, both for the power that he held in his mind, his single-mindedness to achieve his goals whatever the cost to himself, and the fact that (as noted above) his followers more violent tendencies were only being held in check by the force of his personality.
Quite well put (as is you later, unquoted part about Byronic semblences). We were not supposed to like him, we were only supposed to (slowly) understand his impossible situation, and that of Lochley and Sheridan. I would say he was more sympathetic than Lochley or Sheridan, and that is good writing and acting.

Back