• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Is it time to go beyond the rim?

I am heartened so see so many friends that I thought had already passed beyond the rim. ;)

Administratively, this isn't a burdensome place. There are a few mods that come around and tend to their forums that still have some life. If something gets a bit strange, they know how to contact me to come sort it out.

I am loathe to shut it down myself. This was truly the first forum where I felt truly at home. And while I have shown up elsewhere (primarily at Antony's other, much busier site, TrekBBS), it hasn't been "the same."

Antony essentially said to me that it doesn't have to be imminent. It may be time, however, to send out a broadcast notice to see who would like to have a view of the place. As Jan said, there are many wonderful conversations stored here. I believe Antony mentioned it could be all archived so that it could be accessed or restored if desired.

Thanks all for your feedback. It warms the heart of this OLD first one.

I still come to B5TV pretty much every day, but that is really just to Babbleon, the forum that I moderate, and the one that seems to have the most activity. I do keep my eyes out for suspicious activity in any forum, but that is pretty much non-existant.

Markas or RW, FYI, a few folks over on JMSnews have mentioned that they tried to sign in or register here and weren't able. Can somebody check the registration mechanism and see if it needs to be kicked?

Thanks,
Jan

Hi Hypatia,

Did you get the email from DougO? In the forum 'JMS News Information' the second item down is called 'Introductions'. That's where you should post. It's not closed and new members are welcome! If you still have trouble, PM me here with your user name and I'll see if DougO can clear you anyway.

See you there!
Jan

I'm not sure if I found the email, it's been busy at work this week. But I did pop back in and I think I figured it out, I did post a note. Thanks! No matter what happens to our beloved B5TV, I'll have a bit of a link to all things JMS. :)

Markas or RW, FYI, a few folks over on JMSnews have mentioned that they tried to sign in or register here and weren't able. Can somebody check the registration mechanism and see if it needs to be kicked?

Thanks,
Jan

Clearly, there is a problem with our registration system. It is not sending registration emails (the ones that you have to "push the button" to be allowed to post). I'll look into this.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Jan.

I think the nature of this place(with a focus on individual episodes) tends to mean that activity will go up and down. if you have people doing a rewatch of the series you might get a significant degree of activity over a few months and then fall back to very little.

If it did go I wonder could there be the possible of shifting the existing episode discussions to a JMS subforum? those are quite unique discussions in that they often go back years and are rather less conversational.

I tend not to do online communities/message boards/Facebook group anymore as I find myself not really getting on with them, but I would miss this place if it went beyond the rim. There are some good conversations and useful info among its threads.

I think B5 continues to have a lot of relevance to our modern world and it would be nice to keep this place open to discuss it. If not, I'd at least pop back to participate in a grand finale thread before saying goodbye to the forum.

Though it take a thousand years... I think B5 will eventually be redone/renewed or given a movie, and whether that does or does not happen I shall remain to check in every now and then until the lights are turned off... or are replaced, and new paint is added to the walls.

I have enjoyed the time that i've spent lurking/posting here (mostly lurking), and would like to thank those who have manned AND held the line all these years.

Though it take a thousand years... I think B5 will eventually be redone/renewed or given a movie, and whether that does or does not happen I shall remain to check in every now and then until the lights are turned off... or are replaced, and new paint is added to the walls.

I have enjoyed the time that i've spent lurking/posting here (mostly lurking), and would like to thank those who have manned AND held the line all these years.

**clicks the like button**

Can you tell I spend too much time on Facebook? :LOL:

Just popped in after a long abscence.. and am sad to see you are considering shutting down the forum :( If there was a little more activity here (what about f.ex fun RP in the B5 world?) I would come here more often, I remember with fondness the activity-level we had 14-15 years ago when I joined, but in the last years when I have intermittently stopped by things have been pretty 'dead' except for a few active Babbleon threads.

I too think B5 will get a 'rebirth' some day and new members will look for places like this, so if possible I would like it to 'stay open', also because it has great history and is one of the very few remaining active B5 member-interaction sites left on the Internet, but if the cost is too great and the work with a view to the amount of active members too taxing, I understand if 'it is soon time to go beyond the rim'.

I've changed my mind. You guys aren't allowed to shut things down.

Now that that's settled we can focus on the important things again.

Like, what do you want?

I would seriously dislike it if B5TV shut down, it has been a lonely existence in the past few years since we were forced to shut down B5TECH. I have truely begun to understand the plight of dear old Zathras, rest his soul (Tim Choate rip). I rarely post anymore on B5 anymore but I do still lurk. Just my thoughts on the matter.
James
Admiral Beckham
Former administrator @B5Tech.com

Admiral Beckham
Former administrator @B5Tech.com

What happened to Brandon on b5tech.com tried to find out
but he has not be active for about five plus years on his
site and the forum look like its been shut down.

thanks.

I am trying to resolve the login issues, which have prevented new people from joining. So far, the Rim is off a bit. ;)

Nice seeing some old-timers around the place.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back