• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Andreas Katsulas and the Oscar 2007 memorial reel

Didn't bother watching the Oscars (haven't in years, actually.) I did record it in case someone did or said something interesting (which in the case of the Oscars usually means, "spectacularly stupid") or Andreas made the tribute reel. Did he? Because from what I'm reading about the show there isn't any other reason to look at the recording before I dump it. :)

Regards,

Joe

Well, that's very disappointing news, but not surprising given that we are talking about the American Motion Picture Academy. ;) I wasn't hold out much hope, but I wish they had fooled me this once. On the plus side I can now dump that sizable hi-def recording from my DVR and save the time it would have taken me to fast-forward to the tributes.

At least we tried. And it is nice to hear that Johnny Sekka was honored at the British awards.

Regards,

Joe

What irks me most about Andreas being left out is the inclusion of James Doohan, for two reasons:

1) Doohan died in July 2005, WELL outside the range given by the Academy for eligible deaths;

2) Doohan's only big/known film roles were the Trek films, and the Trek films were only big because of the tv show's success. It's kind of like the fan base, and the box office dollars for those films are all based on television notoriety. Certainly, it was solely his tv role that gave him that film career. It would have been more appropriate for the Emmys to have honored him.

Andreas actually had a film career, a real film career that had nothing to do with a television series. But Jan made a good point to me today: since Doohan, who died in July of 2005, was included in the reel that was supposed to only include people who died between Feb. 1, 2006 and Jan. 31, 2007, does this open the door to Andreas possibly being included in next year's reel?

I know he's not so hugely famous in the film industry that they simply must include him, but frankly, the one-armed man from "The Fugitive" is a pretty darned iconic role. I may write to the Academy to at least express my displeasure, and to ask about why Doohan -- who died very far out of the range -- was included. It won't help anything of course, but it may make me feel better.

Amy, disappointed

What irks me most about Andreas being left out is the inclusion of James Doohan, for two reasons:

1) Doohan died in July 2005, WELL outside the range given by the Academy for eligible deaths;

2) Doohan's only big/known film roles were the Trek films, and the Trek films were only big because of the tv show's success. It's kind of like the fan base, and the box office dollars for those films are all based on television notoriety. Certainly, it was solely his tv role that gave him that film career. It would have been more appropriate for the Emmys to have honored him.

Andreas actually had a film career, a real film career that had nothing to do with a television series. But Jan made a good point to me today: since Doohan, who died in July of 2005, was included in the reel that was supposed to only include people who died between Feb. 1, 2006 and Jan. 31, 2007, does this open the door to Andreas possibly being included in next year's reel?

I know he's not so hugely famous in the film industry that they simply must include him, but frankly, the one-armed man from "The Fugitive" is a pretty darned iconic role. I may write to the Academy to at least express my displeasure, and to ask about why Doohan -- who died very far out of the range -- was included. It won't help anything of course, but it may make me feel better.

Amy, disappointed

Plus Andreas also did guest on Star Trek episodes, to bring it all arouond into a circle

As much as I loved Doohan, I was suprised to see him in THIS years reel.

And yeah, I think this should open the door for Andreas. Where should we start the letters for next year?

For some reason when I read the news it didn't even register that Doohan was clearly outside the Academy's so-called guidelines. I say we lobby Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones, who worked with Andreas on The Fugitive. Them the Acadmey might listen to. :)

Regards,

Joe

It's kind of like the fan base, and the box office dollars for those films are all based on television notoriety.

the one-armed man from "The Fugitive" is a pretty darned iconic role.

Just playing Devil's Advocate for a moment:
One could just as easily argue that the only reason that the "one-armed man" was so iconic was because of The Fugitive TV show, and all of the references to it in the decades before the movie was made.

I was disappointed that Katsulas was not included in the memorial reel.

Also, I was a bit surprised that Doohan rated being one of only 2 or 3 in the entire reel that got a little bit of audible dialog over the orchestra during the memorial.

Was pretty bummed that they didn't show Andreas. What gets me is that they show some obscure songwriter from 1933, but not the One Armed Man? Lame.

Jade Jaguar said:
I'm afraid that "Beam me up, Scotty" is much better known than the one-armed man.

Which is impressive considering "Beam me up, Scotty" was never spoken in Star Trek.

Yes, I realize, that just as Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam," Kirk never did say "Beam me up Scotty." But, he did say "Scotty, beam us up." I saw it in the new HD versions. Can't remember which ep, but he was very aggitated, and in danger.

:( I was so disappointed that Andreas wasn't included in the memorial reel. I know they only have so much time but he was such a wonderful actor....

They are limited in time, but the reel was shorter than usual this year and they could have cut out about 75% of Ellen's running around in the crowd and having peeps take pictures of her and Clint Eastwood. Too much mindless crap going on. They COULD have fit in Andreas....

Yeah, speaking of wasted time, what was with that just random guy backstage with a microphone who'd occationally show up and mention the awards that we had just seen handed out right before going to a advertisement break? He was completely pointless and a waste of time.

You'll have to excuse me, but I didn't watch any awards shows this awards season, except for the People's Choice Awards, which I Timer Recorded, and zipped through at 30x speed to see if "The Class" won for best new comedy or not.

Do the Emmys or the SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Awards have a memorial reel? IIRC, we tried to get Andreas recognized in the Emmy Awards Show, but did we try the SAG Award Show?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back