• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek Films Redux

crofootski

Regular
So, after all these years since ST:TMP appeared (1977?), how about revisiting the Trek movies? Any favorites, least favorites or just awful ones?

I guess I pretty much enjoyed all of them, for varying reasons. Most of the time, it felt like being with old friends again watching I through VI, even if I might not have liked the particular plot. The Next Generation movies have mostly been good, with First Contact being my favorite....the story, the acting, the music. ST:Insurrection is definitely my least favorite of the TNG films; the beginning was kind of neat and I liked the holographic stuff, but it just got boring to me. I wasn't that thrilled with the inhabitants of that world (boring), nor did I like most of the cast being sent off on the Enterprise for whatever reason, I can't remember.

Any comments?

I'll agree with you there. Was 6 the God movie? Ugh! :rolleyes:

And Insurrection was the one about the planet with youth-giving powers? That one actually just seemed like a rather mediocre two-part episode on t.v.

And I'm not that picky. I loved the one where they returned to Earth (you know, the whale movie). Silly, frivolous,but it sure was fun for the fans! :D

Even seeing Spock grinning in the "let's splash in the water" scene was just so much fun to watch I didn't let the fact that it was completely out of character bother me one bit. Or the fact that Spock using the Vulcan neck pinch on a bus in L.A. in the past just to shut up an obnoxious passenger was a huge chance to take. The busload of people applauding was another just-too-much-fun moments. Right up there with the nuclear wessles and the YELLOW PAGES.

Enough, sorry to go on, but I did enjoy that one. :rommie::vulcan:

No, that was 5. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country dealt with the assassination of Klingon Chancellor Gorkon and the attempts of traitors in Starfleet and the Klingon High Command to destroy the peace process. It's a good one.

So, after all these years since ST:TMP appeared (1977?), how about revisiting the Trek movies? Any favorites, least favorites or just awful ones?

I guess I pretty much enjoyed all of them, for varying reasons. Most of the time, it felt like being with old friends again watching I through VI, even if I might not have liked the particular plot. The Next Generation movies have mostly been good, with First Contact being my favorite....the story, the acting, the music. ST:Insurrection is definitely my least favorite of the TNG films; the beginning was kind of neat and I liked the holographic stuff, but it just got boring to me. I wasn't that thrilled with the inhabitants of that world (boring), nor did I like most of the cast being sent off on the Enterprise for whatever reason, I can't remember.

Any comments?

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - BORING!
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - EXCELLENT!
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984) - EXCELLENT!
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) - EXCELLENT!

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) - The WORST Trek Movie EVER made. One of the worst movies ever made. I agree with Raj on The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon's all wet. :p
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) - Good.
Star Trek VII: Generations (1994) - OK.
Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996) - Good.
Star Trek IX: Insurrection (1998) - Not very good.
Star Trek X: Nemesis (2002) - Good Effects. Good Space Battles. CRAP story and lead baddie.
Star Trek XI (2009) - A Trek movie for a new generation, and that doesn't include me. This is more like fanfiction that had studio backing. :wtf: :p Look, even Leonard Nimoy sold out. :rolleyes: Hey, the money was green. <shrug>

And Insurrection was the one about the planet with youth-giving powers? That one actually just seemed like a rather mediocre two-part episode on t.v.

And I'm not that picky. I loved the one where they returned to Earth (you know, the whale movie). Silly, frivolous,but it sure was fun for the fans! :D

Even seeing Spock grinning in the "let's splash in the water" scene was just so much fun to watch I didn't let the fact that it was completely out of character bother me one bit. Or the fact that Spock using the Vulcan neck pinch on a bus in L.A. in the past just to shut up an obnoxious passenger was a huge chance to take. The busload of people applauding was another just-too-much-fun moments. Right up there with the nuclear wessles and the YELLOW PAGES.

The God movie was 5. The whale movie was 4, and it had a lot of good comedy, plus Catherine Hicks in that sweater. :drool:

Last edited:

[Kirk quote] Well Double Fuck on you [/Quote] :D

The movies in general aren't really very good. Star Trek is episodic and doesn't fit the cinematic format.

The original series characters are a lot more fun than the newer ones. While both series had their better episodes and their worse ones, like all shows, the cast and characters of the original make the weak stuff entertaining to some degree, but TNG needs great stories to be watchable.

Therefore, the first 6 movies are entertaining, while the rest are pretty lame except First Contact which is a well-made action film.

come on 2 and 6 are incredible, the rest range from decent to steaming shit.

We all know Wrath of Khan rules. And it's because Shatner and Mantalban make it rule.
6 is decent, but pretty stupid in parts, with Warf being Shatner's attorney, Iman trying to be hot/scary, and Samantha from Sex & the City as the worst Vulcan since... well, I guess since Kirstie Alley in the 2nd movie.

5 is not the worst movie- that would be the last TNG one, with retarded Data.

We all know Wrath of Khan rules. And it's because Shatner and Mantalban

Montalban

make it rule.
6 is decent, but pretty stupid in parts, with Warf

Put an 'h' in there and we could tie off boats to his head. :LOL:

being Shatner's attorney,

It wasn't Worf, but possibly one of Worf's ancestors.

5 is not the worst movie-

Yeah, some people say that. They're wrong. :devil:

that would be the last TNG one, with retarded Data.

That was the prototype Data (B-4), not the Data we've had ever since Next Gen. began.

IV >> VI, if you ask me. I used to really like VI, but the last few times I've watched it .. I get the feeling it's not aging nearly as well as II is, for example (which never stops being awesome). Or IV, inspite of the fact that IV is actually set in the 80s.

The allegory is a bit thick. I generally like how Trek handled contemporary issues in an abstract sense (Errand of Mercy being an example of when they did this well, IMO) .. but this just isn't very abstract. It's too obviously the Iron Curtain coming down .. in space.

And while V was a terrible, terrible movie .. the fact that it has Shatner, Nimoy et al. doing silly shit alone makes it a hundred times more enjoyable than the steaming pile of dung that was Nemesis.

We all know Wrath of Khan rules. And it's because Shatner and Mantalban make it rule.
6 is decent, but pretty stupid in parts, with Warf being Shatner's attorney, Iman trying to be hot/scary, and Samantha from Sex & the City as the worst Vulcan since... well, I guess since Kirstie Alley in the 2nd movie.

5 is not the worst movie- that would be the last TNG one, with retarded Data.

The funny thing is that Meyer wanted Kim Catrall for Saavik in STII and couldn't get her. When he came back to direct STVI, he brought back Saavik and put her in the same role as a traitor. Meyer's motto was never waste a character that fans are invested in, whereas Paramount's motto was to play it overly safe. He could have his Vulcan traitor who is a protege of Spock's, but it ain't gonna be Saavik, so he was forced to rename her.

Well Double Fuck on you

That was double dumbass on you. It was PG-13.
Hmmmm...I'll have to pull the disc out and check (I got VHS of all the Movies for $1 a piece and transferred them to DVD). Maybe you saw a a PG-13 edited version, or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Maybe I'm blending it together with the Indians from my local convenience store. They get drunks going in harrassing them and telling them "F*** You" and the cashier replies "No, F*** on you"

Last edited:
B5_O is right- it's the dumb-ass thing.

Didn't know that about Catrall/vulcan thing. I could see the dramatic advantage of having it been the same character, but I also don't like that every movie sequel just has to destroy everything from the one before. One movie- oh lookee, the Genesis project. Next movie- it go boom! Oh look, Apollo Creed is helping Rocky. Next movie- he's dead! Alright, we get it Hollywood, you're bold, enough.

That's mostly what bugs me about Star Trek III.

Genesis! Or not.
Spock is dead! Oh no he's not.
Kirk has a son! Oh no he doesn't.

Latest posts

Members online

Back