• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Lines Of Communication

The Long Night

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
I voted A because I love how Delenn's fleet goes up against the Drakh, incurs heavy damages, then goes back in and kicks the Drakhs' ass! :D

It might be a shallow reason, but an episode that contains Number One's "scoop out your brains and use them for cat food" line has *got* to get an Excellent rating from me. :LOL:

Jan

I give a B- to the Mars sequences and a B+ to the Delenn / Drakh conflict.

It sets up the Minbari civil war quite well, too.

A double tragedy is developing in the story arc - civil wars in both human and Minbari societies. They're no longer fighting each other, so now they turn against themselves.

The propaganda war against B5 is sickening to see - but Earth residents don't know what we viewers do and have no reason not to believe what they're told and shown. Will a rebel station convince them that matters are different?

It's interesting to see how split the resistance is too - Franklin and Cole have a hard time getting them to cooperate. That they succeed displays great persuasive power.

At the beginning Sheridan reacts protectively toward Delenn, and she tells him very clearly that she does not want that. She is a strong personality who has developed greatly since we first met her. The fight against the Drakh looks very good, and there are some interesting moves and strategies in there. She certainly has her work cut out for her on Minbar.

A personal note - attraction is a matter of taste. Now if *I* were Number One, I would have let Franklin do guard duty and taken Marcus with me... ;)

At the beginning Sheridan reacts protectively toward Delenn, and she tells him very clearly that she does not want that. She is a strong personality who has developed greatly since we first met her.

Ah, yes...I think this:
John...it pleases me that you care
for what I have become. But never
forget what I was, or who I am, or
what I can do.
is my favorite Delenn quote after her "Be Somewher Else" speech.

Jan

This one is pretty great all around. Delenn kicks some serious ass, and I love the Mars storyline .. I have no complaints.

I loved the Mars storyline from the very beginning, long before Babylon 5 broke away from Earth and all that. It's an interesting concept from Earth history reimagined in a sci fi setting. You have this colony with a significant proportion of the population in favor of independence, but not ALL of the population, so there's all this conflict. Also the conflict within the independence movement on how to go about achieving said independence. I thought all this stuff was pretty well done throughout. The story keeps coming up more or less in the background, but here it's solidly in the foreground.

It's interesting that Dr. Franklin, in his speech to the Mars resistance, participates in the Sheridan cult of personality thing. You'd think the Mars resistance would scoff at that, especially considering some of them already dislike Sheridan because of past Earth Force actions.

Ah, Dr. Franklin being a ladies' man again. Marcus' "Touch passion when it comes your way, Stephen. It's rare enough as it is, don't walk away when it calls you by name" seems like pretty solid advice to me, but it's odd that it comes from Marcus. It's also odd that it's directed from Marcus TO Dr. Franklin who has never been seen walking away from passion when it calls him by name :p

This is indeed the episode that has Marcus on guard duty, repeatedly extending his fighting pike, as we discussed in the thread for "Racing Mars" ;) It's an amusing end scene.

Delenn is really great in this. Early on in the episode she has this conversation with Sheridan, where she tells him she has to go deal with this stuff and he is reluctant to let her go. She then says the lines quoted by Jan above. It's good stuff. And then of course later in the episode she shows us exactly what she can do. Well, she and a small fleet of White Stars, but still. It counts :p

There's this interesting bit where Lennier appears to warn Delenn about first contact situations, where she tells him she was there with Dukhat when the Minbari made first contact with the humans. I THINK she then says she won't make the same mistake twice, but it's possible she tells Lennier not to make the mistake of speaking to her in that fashion :p Clearly he forgot himself for a second there.

That phase-shifting Drakh is super creepy. Alas, poor Forell. He kinda had to die at the end of this, in order to atone for his terrible mistake :p It's also interesting that Lennier appears to whisper "Z'ha Dum" to Delenn when they are talking about the Drakh's world being destroyed. Did he figure it out before she did?

I enjoy the space fight scenes in this. Those White Stars are just so damn cool.

Bad news about the Minbari homeworld. That's going to get very interesting.

There's this idea that keeps coming back in Babylon 5 revolving around the humans' unique capacity for something or other. "You build communities, that is your strength". But, in all honesty, it doesn't seem like the humans are very different in that respect from any of the other races we see in Babylon 5, so I'm not really sure where that comes from.

Latest posts

Members online

Back