• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

anlashok1

Regular
Just saw Avatar today, in 3D. Absolutely great. I recognized some of Dune, Star Trek: DS9, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars. But I also saw an underlying story about Native Americans. What are YOUR views?

Raincheck on that... I'll be off to Stratford-upon-Avon Picturehouse this afternoon (I just hope they have some glasses going spare).

I wanted to see that movie today. but the lil one had this BAD ATTITUDE. so we aren't going!

but glad to hear its good! :bolian: I will see it some other time.

As someone who is neither a fan of James Cameron, nor video games, I do want to see it, mostly for the 3D, in which it is said that Cameron made some technological advances. I think I will probably see it at a matinee, between Xmas and New Years.

I flinched at some sequences involving the 3D. It's certainly not how I remember old school 3D... and things did seem to move out beyond the screen. Perhaps I am overstating the effects here... but then it was my first cinematic 3D experience (I've only ever used 3D on the rare occasions it's been on television or in comics as a kid.

I have to say the best part for me was simply the vivid scenery. You really felt like you were transported to another world. I caught myself staring open mouthed in places.

Prepubescent boys should however not be allowed into the cinema in large parties. A whole bunch behind me were talking all the way through the film and wolf whistling. Their namby pamby wet as a puddle father figure did nothing to silence them for the most part.

I'm apocalyptically angry at the lack of parenting skills in the current generation. I was raised with the manners not to talk in the cinema; if that had been me... as a kid... I'd have rightly got a roasting off my dad.

Back to the film and I liked the reference to the philosophical teaching of Zhuangzi (which of course very appropriate given the title and the nature of the film).

No I haven't seen it yet but this movie looks extremely, extremely stupid. So military guys are inhabiting blue alien hippy bodies.. um, ok. The first time I saw a commercial I thought it was a joke or a video game.

Sure I'm curious about the fancy new FX, but then someone told me this thing is 2.5 hrs! Is that really necessary for a movie whose principle selling point is visuals?

I flinched at some sequences involving the 3D. It's certainly not how I remember old school 3D... and things did seem to move out beyond the screen. Perhaps I am overstating the effects here... but then it was my first cinematic 3D experience (I've only ever used 3D on the rare occasions it's been on television or in comics as a kid.

The old 3D, with the red/blue glasses almost never worked for me. There are at least a couple of new 3D systems used in theaters, and they are great. The first new 3D film I saw was Deep Sea 3D. I sat in the center of the front row. The 3D was so amazing, it looked like long tendrils of seaweed were right in front of my face. Finally, I could no longer resist the temptation to stretch my hand out, as if to touch the tendrils. When my arm was extended about half as far as it will go, it looked as if I was touching the seaweed! I also saw Polar Express, with a friend and her little girl. Great 3D FX, but not my sort of a film, just for kids...

I liked it. I particularly liked that 3D was generally used to show depth, not Moe Howard throwing darts at my face.

I thought it was a good-enough movie, I'll probably go see it again with my oldest kids, but I was a bit disappointed by the pastich nature of the plot, and overtly liberal white guilt aspects of the story. Mostly, though, I was buged by the notion that Humans and Navii couldn't ever get along. I don't like "Separate But Equal" solutions. The idea that they're so good and we're so bad that we can never be pals on any level really really bothered me, and felt a bit racist. Maybe I'm alone in that.

My full review (Which is really long, and spoiler free) is online here if anyone's interested
http://www.republibot.com/content/movie-review-“avatar”-2009-spoiler-lite

Well that wasn't strictly true. There were a few humans allowed to stay. The situation reminded me a little of The Mission only with a reversed outcome.

i saw "UP" in 3d. it was good in some bits...others i was like WHY PAY EXTRA FOR THISS?>???

but i just looked at the schedule for today, looks like if i wanna see it this afternoon, i gotta go see it in 3d though.

I saw it and loved it. In 3D, which was really really cool. It was the first new-school 3D movie I've seen, it had the same wow factor as Jurassic Park did back in the day.

Yes the premise is very stupid, (its acutally sicentists tacked onto the military who are inhabiting the bodies) but so was Enemy Mine (and a load of other sci-fi come t o hat), which was an ace sci-fi film in a similar vein. It was cracking James Cameron movie, as Good as True Lies and washes away the horror of Titanic, a film I loathe to this day.

Length is possibly an issue, but I personally don't have a problem with long movies. The 2D trailers on the net did not do it justice.

The extra money for seeing it in 3D is presumably for the specs. I think it was worth it.

Very recommended.

Length is possibly an issue, but I personally don't have a problem with long movies. The 2D trailers on the net did not do it justice.

In my experience, my posterior tends to judge the length of a film better than my mind. I've been in shorter films and found my bottom going to sleep and I started fidgeting in my seat.

In Avatar, my bottom was just about going numb towards the end... which tells me it was a tad too long... but still good for the visuals!

The extra money for seeing it in 3D is presumably for the specs. I think it was worth it.
50 earth pence for the glasses and 2 earth pounds extra for the ticket.

ok i saw it! it was FAN FREAKEN TASTIC! omg!

i never give really great reviews for movies...and being a sci fi buff, gimme a plot or sequence i haven't seen before! LOL

BUT i haven't ever seen dragons flying..that was so major cool! Granted i seen some dragon flights, but never in this quantity. it was fab!

and the 3d was AMAZING, i actually thought the dandilions were floating in the row above me - it was so real.

and the special effects were TOP NOTCH. it was really hard to tell where the cgi vs blue screen was....you know in Star trek, they always have these paintings...and some rocks that are suppose to be a planet...here on this planet, it was so cool - the trees and floria and animals were very original.

A lot of the stuff about the military was believable too! i liked that part. but the avatars- um...they come 'made' with hair already braided???

And the dread locks - i thought that was hooky. and the war paint was hooky but looked cool.

So some things were totally believable and others - but they were minor compared- weren't believable.

Of course its a standard plot: good vs evil...or maybe its more industry vs nature?? and of course, boy gets girl story...

What was the point of Sigorney Weaver smoking, i don't know..but i liked her character.

And then there was the LOST chic..the one with 2 first names...she played a good role and liked her character.

EVERYONE GO SEE this movie! its great.

And yea, its a long ass movie....but really i couldn't see where they could cut it.

My kids really want to see this one, and would love to see it in 3D ... problem is, I have a damaged left eye and lack stereoscopic vision. I assume that there is therefore little point in me taking them to a 3D showing? Or has the 3D technology moved on to the extent that I can happily watch sans glasses and not need to clean my eyeballs out afterwards.

My kids really want to see this one, and would love to see it in 3D ... problem is, I have a damaged left eye and lack stereoscopic vision. I assume that there is therefore little point in me taking them to a 3D showing? Or has the 3D technology moved on to the extent that I can happily watch sans glasses and not need to clean my eyeballs out afterwards.

I flicked my eyes up above the rim of the glasses occasionally and the screen looked mad!

There are 2D showings but I guess that kind of defeats the object.:(

.... Honestly, I found the CGI more impressive than the 3D. There just seemed to be two settings, front and back, some of the images lacked depth.

However, the CGI was gorgeous. I loved Pandora, between the X-Wing dragons and the hammerhead rhinos, and the bioluminescent forests. It seemed very real.

That said ... this film is not going to win any great writing awards. Most of the characters are flatter than their images and the plot never once surprised me. Credit to Sam Worthington for being hot, for Giovanni Ribisi and Michelle Rodriguez for being themselves and to Sigourney Weaver for being awesome.

Latest posts

Members online

Back