• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 Books

Hmm...no smilie but how about this:

17-thumb.jpg

;)

I gave up on the thread a while back. Big blocks of never-ending quote boxes hurts the eyes, precious... yes it does....

Anyway,back off topic ;)

I went to a book fair in Rotterdams Ahoy Theater yesterday.

I saw it advertised in a newspaper :D

They had a decent collection of english books several of which I now own.In addition everyone who bought a book got a free book.I choose The Diary of Ann Frank.While I will probably never read it as it's in Dutch it will be a good one for the kids when they are older.I have read a play version of the story though so I do know how it goes so maybe I'll give it a try when I'm bored.

I was surprised at how busy it was,literary thousands of people went and most seemed to be buying several books at least.

I want more book fairs,they're fun :)

This thread isn't specifically about the script books but I thought some folks might be interested in knowing what I found on the Babylon5scripts.com site:

Release date: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 10:00AM Pacific Time

Jan

Hmm...no smilie but....

How about the attached gif?

No, the frown doesn't work. I used to have an animated one, involving a one with a magic wand who freezes a devil, but don't know what disc it's on.

Attachments

• frozen.gif
    frozen.gif
    288 bytes · Views: 66
Last edited:
This is all very interesting, but it basically boils down to this...

There was a trilogy of B5 books released concerning Centauri Prime and various important threads left at the end of the show, not to mention one of the shows main characters. Now the third book of this trilogy is sought after and hard to find, leading to very high (some might say shocking) prices.

The reason for this is most probably due to a shorter print run being ordered by the publishers, Del Rey.

The reason for this is presumably because of sluggish sales of their previous Babylon 5 books.

The reasons for these books performing poorly in the marketplace therefore becomes the clincher for this thread. Is it because of Del Rey's poor marketing? Was their poor marketing justified because it was never going to sell hugely anyway?

The last two points, however, are irrelevent to me. My position is that I am unable to conclude a trilogy of which the first two parts are easily, easily available (less than £1.00 each). I don't care if Del Rey didn't market the other books properly precipitating poor sales and a short print run for the novel in question. I don't care if it wouldn't have been financially worthwhile for them to be promoted properly. All that I care about is that now, 7 years later, I can get two parts of a very important B5 trilogy, but not the last one, and this is because Del Rey didn't print enough of them. I am literally (no exaggeration) apoplectic about this. At the basic level someone is standing between me and B5 and that is Del Rey, and if I ever come across anyone involved with the unavailability of OotD they'll wish they had printed enough. :devil:

This isn't directed against anyone here, I just want to point out that the real injustice is the rareness and susequent high price of Legions of Fire III, whatever the reasons, especially when you can get the first two so easily. Just wanted to get that of my chest (literally apoplectic).

This is all very interesting, but it basically boils down to this...

There was a trilogy of B5 books released concerning Centauri Prime and various important threads left at the end of the show, not to mention one of the shows main characters. Now the third book of this trilogy is sought after and hard to find, leading to very high (some might say shocking) prices.

The reason for this is most probably due to a shorter print run being ordered by the publishers, Del Rey.

The reason for this is presumably because of sluggish sales of their previous Babylon 5 books.

The reasons for these books performing poorly in the marketplace therefore becomes the clincher for this thread. Is it because of Del Rey's poor marketing? Was their poor marketing justified because it was never going to sell hugely anyway?

The last two points, however, are irrelevent to me. My position is that I am unable to conclude a trilogy of which the first two parts are easily, easily available (less than £1.00 each). I don't care if Del Rey didn't market the other books properly precipitating poor sales and a short print run for the novel in question. I don't care if it wouldn't have been financially worthwhile for them to be promoted properly. All that I care about is that now, 7 years later, I can get two parts of a very important B5 trilogy, but not the last one, and this is because Del Rey didn't print enough of them. I am literally (no exaggeration) apoplectic about this. At the basic level someone is standing between me and B5 and that is Del Rey, and if I ever come across anyone involved with the unavailability of OotD they'll wish they had printed enough. :devil:

This isn't directed against anyone here, I just want to point out that the real injustice is the rareness and susequent high price of Legions of Fire III, whatever the reasons, especially when you can get the first two so easily. Just wanted to get that of my chest (literally apoplectic).

And on the other hand, when they originally went on sale, they were all easy to get, so therefore, you should have gotten it then, or if you started getting them after the third book was tough to get, you knew exactly what you were getting yourself into (Mind you, I sympathize, and think it sucks, but...)

And on the other hand, when they originally went on sale, they were all easy to get, so therefore, you should have gotten it then, or if you started getting them after the third book was tough to get, you knew exactly what you were getting yourself into (Mind you, I sympathize, and think it sucks, but...)

Except that I've only seen Babylon 5 in the last year, and would've been a bit too young to understand and appreciate it in its original run. Also, being rather poor, I have bought the books in sequence, one after the other, not thinking that one of a trilogy might be as insanely expensive as the others are insanely cheap, and not, therefore, thinking that I might need to research the availability of further volumes before reading.

Don't try to tell me this is my fault, thanks.

My position is that I am unable to conclude a trilogy of which the first two parts are easily, easily available (less than £1.00 each). I don't care if Del Rey didn't market the other books properly precipitating poor sales and a short print run for the novel in question. I don't care if it wouldn't have been financially worthwhile for them to be promoted properly. All that I care about is that now, 7 years later, I can get two parts of a very important B5 trilogy, but not the last one, and this is because Del Rey didn't print enough of them. I am literally (no exaggeration) apoplectic about this. At the basic level someone is standing between me and B5 and that is Del Rey, and if I ever come across anyone involved with the unavailability of OotD they'll wish they had printed enough. :devil:

If you look around, it is possible to find the trilogies in hardbound form (Sci-Fi Book Club), for around $30 or so. Granted, they may not be in perfect shape like the Centauri and Technomage hardbound trilogies I have, but it'd be readable.

Psi Corps (hardbound) ISBN: 0-7394-0656-6
Centauri (hardbound) ISBN: 0-7394-1485-2
Technomage (hardbound) ISBN: 0-7394-2395-9

ps. Oops. Just checked and the lowest price I found at Amazon for the hardbound Centauri trilogy was $65. I got mine on eBay.

Last edited:
If you look around, it is possible to find the trilogies in hardbound form (Sci-Fi Book Club), for around $30 or so. Granted, they may not be in perfect shape like the Centauri and Technomage hardbound trilogies I have, but it'd be readable.

Psi Corps (hardbound) ISBN: 0-7394-0656-6
Centauri (hardbound) ISBN: 0-7394-1485-2
Technomage (hardbound) ISBN: 0-7394-2395-9

Thanks, I didn't realise they were put into omnibus editions...

Can't find any below £40 at the moment, not bothered aout the condition, just as long as I have it and the words on the page (I'd have a photocopied manuscript from Mr. David if it was available), but it's another avenue to explore, thanks again.

Just found one for £175!

http://www.biblio.com/books/92485637.html

:eek:

Last edited:
Thanks, I didn't realise they were put into omnibus editions...

Can't find any below £40 at the moment, not bothered aout the condition, just as long as I have it and the words on the page (I'd have a photocopied manuscript from Mr. David if it was available), but it's another avenue to explore, thanks again.

Just found one for £175!

http://www.biblio.com/books/92485637.html

:eek:

Well, the one I found for $65 (US) beats that.

I take it there's no B5 fan in your area who you can borrow OotD from?

At Amazon.com, OotD is currently listed in good to like new condition for ~$59 to $65.

Last edited:
Well, the one I found for $65 (US) beats that.

I take it there's no B5 fan in your area who you can borrow OotD from?

At Amazon.com, OotD is currently listed in good to like new condition for ~$59 to $65.

After numerous attempts I'm still to meet anyone in the physical, real world who's even seen B5. I'm having a tough time turning my friends onto it as well, even the Sci-Fi loving ones...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back