• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Interesting Link: Starship Size Comparisan Site

I accidentally stumbled upon a website that specializes in comparing the sizes of ships, shuttle, stations, etc., from Babylon 5, Star Trek, Star Wars, Robotech, Farscape, the real world, and more (even the ship from Lexx; blech).

It's a pretty cool site. It's interesting to see how big Babylon 5 vessels are, especially compared to most Star Trek vessels. In the Star Wars universe, there seem to be more ships that are compact or super huge, but not as much in-between. Where would they get the raw materials for such huge ships & stations?

Here's the link:
Starship Dimensions

Re: Interesting Link: Starship Size Comparisan Si

NS, that totally rocked!!
I loved some of the entries, Stay puft marshmallow man for example...

That's an incredibly lovely site. The Vorlon planet killer truly is huge -- but next to the Death Stars? Bug on the windshield.

I especially liked the last page, with Earth's moon in the background to provide comparison. We always think B5 is big, or that the Death Stars are immense, but if the moon is that huge in comparison with the largest starships yet invisioned, how tiny they all are next to Earth, to say nothing of Jupiter or the Sun.

Of course, I have encountered a sci-fi story in which our moon is a space ship, cleverly disguised.

For some reason, I get a fairly sizable happy seeing one of the Shadow ships being pretty much the same size as the station Deep Space 9. :devil:

I accidentally stumbled upon a website that specializes in comparing the sizes of ships, shuttle, stations, etc., from Babylon 5, Star Trek, Star Wars, Robotech, Farscape, the real world, and more (even the ship from Lexx; blech).

It's a pretty cool site. It's interesting to see how big Babylon 5 vessels are, especially compared to most Star Trek vessels. In the Star Wars universe, there seem to be more ships that are compact or super huge, but not as much in-between. Where would they get the raw materials for such huge ships & stations?

I must admit, I'm having a hard time buying the Trek / B5 comparisons. The Shadow Scout is almost as large as the Enterprise D. Something's wrong there.

Of course, I have encountered a sci-fi story in which our moon is a space ship, cleverly disguised.

David Weber, Mutineer's Moon? I did enjoy the Dahak series.

Bingo.

Personally I thought the Shadow ships were a little small, but in comparison to B5 itself they looked about that size. We've got pretty good stats on the Star Trek ships, though -- I mentioned this site to my dad and he remarked that the original Enterprise's dimensions were very exactly laid down back in the day, and it wasn't very big as such things went.

Here's the link:
Starship Dimensions

The site has been updated earlier in September, mostly with ships from *Farscape*. Also, I think he's added Earth Force One and the Centauri battle cruiser from B5.

If it were a ship, it would be hard as hell to move it around. And slow too.

If it were a ship, it would be hard as hell to move it around. And slow too.

Yes, without some inertia reducing treknobabble.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back