• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

Now it is up to #47 on the DVD sales rankings...not bad for a DVD that none of us will receive for 3 months :D

I just wish I had an idea on the number sold though...I want enough preorders that WB will have no choice but to authorize many more DVDs :D

Since I posted the news about it being open to pre-orders, I think I must have made one of the first orders...that feels pretty cool :D

Now if August would just hurry up and get here, I would have my DVD :p

Last edited:
Oh, boy, is this Great!! I can't wait til it's released. Just ordered a copy myself. Wouldn't be surprised if this moves up tomorrow. #6 is still not shabby but I foresee at least #3.

Alex

OMG..! Does anyone know over what period the rankings are calculated? Does it need to sell the same volume again every day to retain that position?

Does anyone know over what period the rankings are calculated? Does it need to sell the same volume again every day to retain that position?

There is a link somewhere on Amazon that explains the rankings in detail. Basically they are a snapshot sales of items within a category (in this case DVDs) relative to one another. So the actual sales numbers don't matter very much. If Amazon were only selling 3 DVD titles B5: TLT would be in 2nd place if these were the numbers for consecutive days:

Citizen Kane 1,000,000 units sold
B5:TLT 100,000 units sold
Ishtar 99,999 units sold

Citizen Kane 1,000,000 units sold
B5:TLT 12 units sold
Ishtar 1 unit sold

So after the initial rush of pre-orders, the disc won't retain that sales rank, but given the number of titles that Amazon.com sells it is gives you some idea of the pent-up demand the B5: TLT charged straight up the chart as soon they started accpeting pre-orders. The first clue that Warner Bros. had about the potential market for the show on DVD came when Amazon accidentally broke curfew and posted a pre-order link for the original R1 "double feature" TV movie disc at around 3 o'clock Eastern time on a Saturday morning. Warner Bros. hadn't so much as put out a press release because the disc wasn't supposed to be officially announced for a couple of weeks. But purely by word-of-internet the disc cracked the top 100 on Saturday and was in the top 25 by Sunday night - at which point Amazon realized their mistake and pulled the listing. (WB later decided to make a virtue of necessity given all those orders, and made the release official within a day and it was back on Amazon.)

For a direct-to-DVD sequel to a cult TV show that's been out of production for nearly a decade and hasn't even aired in reruns in several years is just stunning - except to those of us who have been around for awhile and have learned to expect stunning from this show. :)

Besides, given what a huge fan JMS is of The Prisoner, I can't help but think it would be a good omen if the disc peaked at # 6 on the Amazon chart. ;)

Regards,

Joe

Amazon just sent a message saying 'your approval required' for the DVD because of a delay.
Anyone else get this and I did re- approve so I think its still ordered
What is the delay?

Amazon just sent a message saying 'your approval required' for the DVD because of a delay.

If you placed the order when they first activated the pre-order screen, before they had the release date locked in, their system may have automatically kicked out a "delay" e-mail when the date "changed" (Their default placeholder date is probably something like 01/01/2000, so any change to a real date becomes a "delay".)

I haven't received such an e-mail, but I didn't place my order until about a day after I got the e-mail telling me I could.

Regards,

Joe

I don't think that's it Joe, it actually seems Amazon's system is now flagging TLT as having so many pre-orders that they don't think they can fulfil them all on the 31st. Someone copy-pasted their e-mail and some other related info here if you want to take a look. As I said in that thread, it seems they're switching over some of the people who were later in pre-ordering, from a pre-order for a product that is to be shipped on the 31st, to basically an order that will be flagged in their system as to be shipped "as soon as available", which their best estimate currently puts it at the 1st of August. Said switch requires confirmation from people to make sure they're still ok with having an order that isn't locked to the 31st, so that's the e-mail people who were later in pre-ordering are getting.

I don't think that's it Joe, it actually seems Amazon's system is now flagging TLT as having so many pre-orders that they don't think they can fulfil them all on the 31st. Someone copy-pasted their e-mail and some other related info here if you want to take a look. As I said in that thread, it seems they're switching over some of the people who were later in pre-ordering, from a pre-order for a product that is to be shipped on the 31st, to basically an order that will be flagged in their system as to be shipped "as soon as available", which their best estimate currently puts it at the 1st of August. Said switch requires confirmation from people to make sure they're still ok with having an order that isn't locked to the 31st, so that's the e-mail people who were later in pre-ordering are getting.

Could it be that the number of pre-orders exceeded the number of B5-TLT units they are scheduled to have in stock on July 31st?

Well, anyway one more day won't matter. So far this summer is shaping up nicely.
Harry Potter book seven, 4th season of the 4400 and ice-cream on top of that/B5:TLT DVD yum yum

For the record, I got free two-day shipping on it, and it's scheduled to arrive around August 2nd. I wasn't in so much of a hurry I wanted to pay for shipping. :p

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back