• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jeff Conaway on Celebrity Fit Club 3

LondosHair

Regular
So I watched the premiere of Celebrity Fit Club 3 on VH-1 last night (yes, TV was that bad... stupid football instead of Boston Legal makes Hair something-something). Jeff Conaway (Zack Allan on B5) is the "captain" of his team of celebs, but during the entire episode he acted like he'd rather be anywhere but on that show.

The show appears to be a slightly campy, partly serious version of NBC's "The Biggest Loser." This newest incarnation stars Conaway, Kelly LeBrock, Young MC, Tempestt Bledsoe, Bruce Vilanch, Chastity Bono, Countess Vaughn, and Bizarre of D-12.

Jeff is looking a little haggard these days. He's not really overweight, although he does have a bit of a gut starting. Of all the celebs on the show, he needs to lose the least weight. He looked like he hadn't slept in 2 days and didn't say or do much the entire time.

Then, they showed the preview for next week. Jeff apparently shows up to his team's first "event" completely hammered... so much so, in fact, that he can barely stand. We're shown several clips of him falling asleep sitting up, slurring his speech, making faces, and generally acting like a drunken fool, and then the kicker -- when he's confronted about it by the trainers, he lets out a curse-ridden tirade and threatens, "I've walked off shows before, and I'll walk off shows again." It's pretty sad to see "Zack Allan" acting more like Garibaldi when he was drinking.

Reality TV editing notwithstanding, it really gave me a sense that I was watching a man self-destruct.

Here's the official site's synopsis of the show for next week:

The most dramatic episode - with the biggest meltdown. Celebrity Fit Club history starts as the Celebrities arrive at their second Fit Camp only to discover Bizarre A.W.O.L and Jeff Conaway in a drug induced haze. Although Jeff says that he simply took two Benedryl, his slurred speech and inability to walk in a straight-line forces Dr. Ian to step in and evaluate Jeff to see if he is capable of participating in the events of the day. Already down one member with Bizarre missing, Kelly LeBrock and Tempestt Bledsoe are forced to deicide if Jeff should participate in the Fit Camp Challenge or if they should use only two members to compete against Chastity's' team in a Hawaiian style outrigger race.

Things go from bad to worse at the Weigh In Ceremony when Jeff has a violent meltdown before things even begin. Jeff throws his shoes across the room and explodes at Harvey after he asks Jeff to sit down so the show can begin. After things settle down, team names are announced. Chastity Bono introduces her team name as "Ebony Flame" and Jeff's announces that his team is named "Greased Lightning."

As the Celebrities weigh in with the panel to see how much weight they lost, faces light up as almost all of them either achieve or exceed their weight loss goals. But when Jeff steps on the scale, his temper flares up again as he argues with Kelly about Fit Camp and uses a litany of excuses to explain his lack of weight loss and erratic behavior. Finally, Chastity steps up and says what everyone is thinking: that Jeff is on drugs. And Harvey and the rest of the panel extend an offer of help.

The last time Jeff walked off a show, we didn't see him again until he showed up on B5. I guess he's the Busey of Season 3. Sad to hear he's coming apart. He's had drug and alcohol problems in the past and in recent years he had found God in a big way. I guess the spiritual high wore off. Also, regarding his haggard look: I say he get the lead role in STONEFACE: THE KEITH RICHARDS STORY (title copyright B5_Obsessed 2006) :LOL:

So, umm, tell me.... Is Kelly LeBrock really fat? :(

So, umm, tell me.... Is Kelly LeBrock really fat?

She doesn't look Kirstey Alley fat. She just looks average-middle-aged-mom "fat". In other words, a bit thick around the middle or could stand to lose a few pounds, but not outright obese. If it's possible to remove collagen from your lips, she could possibly lose 2 or 3 pounds that way. ;)

That's a shame about Jeff Conaway. I already wouldn't want to watch that show, but with Jeff's behavior, I think it'd be even worse. I'd much rather remember hims as the guy who double-crossed Nightwatch and greeted Sheridan on his last journey to B5.

At the VH1 website, the "bios" consist of just a few credits in parentheses. The only items listed for Jeff are Grease and Taxi. In a way, it's a shame he doesn't get credit for being on B5, but with his behavior, maybe it's better for the time being that B5 not be associated with him.

Why would "celebrities" want to be on that show? I get the impression it's not very high on the dignity factor. And how do they justify calling some of the people on these reality shows "celebrities"? Isn't Chastity Bono only famous for being the daughter of famous people? And when's the last time Tempest Bledsoe did anything?

Why would "celebrities" want to be on that show? I get the impression it's not very high on the dignity factor. And how do they justify calling some of the people on these reality shows "celebrities"? Isn't Chastity Bono only famous for being the daughter of famous people? And when's the last time Tempest Bledsoe did anything?

Isn't that the point? It's a "has been" show, no? Like the Surreal Life? You need to be a "has-been" or a "never-was" in order to get on it?

Actually, I need to modify part of what I said... I caught the replay of episode 1 last night, and hadn't realized that I missed Jeff's entire introduction as he talked to the judges. He was actually really friendly, he openly spoke about his lifelong battle with clinical depression, and was very cordial with the judges. In fact, one of them told Jeff outright that he expects Jeff will make it all the way to the end of the 16-episode contest.

And yet, just 1 day later, he apparently does a complete 180. Sadly it's not atypical for people with depression or a similar disorder to behave like that... but the episode guide does say they offer to get him some help, so we'll see what becomes of that.

The last time Jeff walked off a show, we didn't see him again until he showed up on B5. I guess he's the Busey of Season 3. Sad to hear he's coming apart. He's had drug and alcohol problems in the past and in recent years he had found God in a big way. I guess the spiritual high wore off. Also, regarding his haggard look: I say he get the lead role in STONEFACE: THE KEITH RICHARDS STORY (title copyright B5_Obsessed 2006) :LOL:

Are all of you sure it wasn't just an act, made up to sensationalize the show, and give him a nosedive to pull out of at the end of the show? I'm just saying...., based upon only the info. in this thread, since I don't watch Reality TV, at all.

Are all of you sure it wasn't just an act, made up to sensationalize the show, and give him a nosedive to pull out of at the end of the show? I'm just saying...., based upon only the info. in this thread, since I don't watch Reality TV, at all.
My exact thoughts, including the part about NOT watching reality tv!

My sentiments exactly. You'd have to be wacko to assume that his actions were real, and not acted. It has been widely reported that most of what happens on "reality TV" (the ultimate oxymoron) shows is pretty close to scripted. They've got to get some drama in it somehow. The dialog and final outcome may not be predetermined, but many of the plot elements certainly are.

No, I wasn't sure, which is why I decided to wait until I watched this week's episode. Nobody can probably prove or disprove it either way, but having had experience with a friend who was hooked on prescription drugs, I can say that either Jeff deserves an Oscar, or he's hooked on painkillers.

The symptoms of this addiction are much like being drunk, so without smelling his breath, it's hard to tell the difference. Slurred speech, trouble maintaining balance, marked drowsiness, and irritability are most common, and he had all of the above. Even at the "weigh-in," when they get on the scale to see how much weight they've lost in the first week, he was cranky and flew into the tirade I described earlier. He hadn't lost a single pound, by the way, and everyone else had met their week 1 goal... even Bizarre and Bruce Vilanch, who I thought wouldn't do squat.

Almost immediately, Jeff apologized (rather profusely), but continued to insist he had only taken "a couple" Benadryl that day. He stressed that he's in pain almost every day because of a torn meniscus (knee ligament) that was never surgically repaired, bulging discs in his back, and some neck problems. At that point, Chastity Bono confronted him about being addicted to painkillers, because she herself had gotten addicted to them several years ago. Besides, Benadryl is more of an anti-allergy medicine than a painkiller... but if you take a bunch of it, you'll feel pretty loopy and it'll knock you on your butt. He seemed to bow to the pressure from her and the judges, and promised "it won't happen again." Unfortunately, it looks like he has an even worse time next week, including an emergency room visit, and some people finally do some intervention.

Hopefully, this was all filmed weeks or months ago, and he's gotten the help he needed. If it IS all an act, then it's some good TV. Either way, I think I'll keep tuning in. And I normally DETEST "reality" TV. :)

Ya know, I had to wonder if it wasn't scripted as well, but you never know on some of these reality shows. I'd like to think he really isn't that bad off, though even if it WAS all an act, what good could possibly come from such a performance?

I know on Celebrity Fit Club 2, the former lead singer of Warrant was having the same issues with drugs/alcohol and he turned his life around mid-show. By the end, he really was back on track. I can only hope this happens for Jeff.

What good? Publicity. The only thing the stars hate more than being gossiped about in the tabloid papers is... not being gossiped about in the tabloid papers.

I would certainly hope they wouldn't actually go that far in "scripting" a reality show, but why not?

I'm glad I avoid the entire reality t.v. offerings. Are people not getting enough reality in their ... uh... REAL lives anymore? If you want to know the heartbreaking story of a drug addict, get to know one. Heck, you might already, and don't know it yet.

I don't watch reality shows either, hypatia. I've have found that most of the shows are just too mean for me, and given people often emulate what they see on television, it's often misconstrued as license to act that way in their real life...that it's "cool".

I've never thought those shows were "scripted,” but I've always thought people are given guidelines. I think they're told, "You need to be a jerk." or "You're so angry! You want to take a swing at that guy then do it!"..."Scream, yell, kick, bite...it's okay, it's just a show."

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd prefer to believe Jeff is following guidelines, that he's playing a part...that I'm correct in my assessment that reality shows have nothing to do with "reality"... and that while he may be having a difficult time and has made a bad career choice, he's going to be all right. :( It just hurts to think otherwise.

Yeah, I agree that publicity is one thing, but from what I have seen of Jeff... this isn't good publicity. And I'm really not a believer that "there is no such thing as bad publicity." I think this is hurting his image big-time.

And I have to believe he'll take the help offered to him and turn himself around. He could be our Cinderella by the end of it. :)

Oh, man. . .I just found the Mancow interview with Jerry and they played a clip from the show:

http://www.jerrydoyle.com/pg/jsp/charts/...review?pid=1862

:(

Ye Gods, I hope Jeff's just playing a part. Catch the "Benadryl versus Vicoden" comment at the end. Holy cow! Well, Jerry never backs away from a telling comment.

If it's not the case--of just playing a part--bless his heart. He's inches away from imploding. It's heartbreaking.

Jacqui

Oh, man. . .I just found the Mancow interview with Jerry and they played a clip from the show

:( I just listened to the interview, I wish I hadn't... :( now I'm really sad.

I actually saw part of this show when I was channel surfing the other day. The part of the episode I saw focused mainly on Conaway. He sure was acting like a jerk and as if he were all doped up. He also mentioned something about having walked off shows before; what shows did he walk off of?

Forgive me if it's been answered but I haven't read the entire thread.

The one that I know for certain is "Taxi." According to Jerry, it was under the advice of his agent--which, when you think of it, wouldn't be the first time any actor had done something utterly ridiculous because their agent pushed them into it.

If even half of what he said in his tirade--being molested, slitting his wrists at age 3, etc.--is true, he is crying out desperately for help. I'm hoping that someone will have the good sense to give it to him. Remember what Garibaldi said (name of the ep escapes me at present) when Steven went walkabout. Sometimes when people walk away, it's to see if you'll follow them into hell. Jeff definitely needs someone to follow him right now, and help to pull him back up. Been there, done that. . .on both sides of that painful equation. . .and it hurts me to see him going through this in a venue designed solely for public ridicule.

Very sad. . .

Jacqui

Back