• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Consequences for Using Telepaths or Off Scott Free

Okay, I should have said 'slight suprise' to him. I just meant that he wasn't certain, but knew the possibility. He wasn't acting under the certain knowledge that he would soon be a head of state, but had every reason to believe that he could expect to receive strong support from that state, in any event.

Re: Consequences for Using Telepaths or Off Scott

Sleepy, I will admit that Franklin and Lyta's experiment seemed to me to indicate how the teeps might be saved, even on B5, and without Earth's resources. If Lyta had kept the implant frozen, while Franklin performed surgery to remove it, I think that they would have been successful. It might have been a good idea to have a few more high-watt teeps to help Lyta, take turns, etc. But the implants couldn't fight back, grow back, or destroy the host, while frozen by a teep. In that condition, some deft laser surgery should do the trick! Still, in the show, they didn't seem to have a clue. But, even if the implants were successfully removed, we have no certainty that the teeps wouldn't be permanently mentally scarred, possibly disfunctional and/or insane, after removal, as a result of the contact with the implants.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear clear whether a telepath did actually incapacitate the machine... or merely disconnect its link to the brain.

In the latter case, the machine would still be operational in other regards than controlling its host -- which could include regrowth.

I thought Sheridan's decision to use the teeps in this way was yet another way that JMS showed the absence of black and white decision-making in B5.

I think many of us can understand why Sheridan made the decision that he did, but will still acknowledge that it will never be 100% the right thing to do. After all, the wrong thing done for the right reasons is still the wrong thing.

However, it is clear that Sheridan's goal was to avoid as much loss of life as possible on both sides of the war. With this in mind the decision becomes the same as one he made earlier in season 4 - was it "Into The Fire"?

In that episode, Ivanova asked Marcus why they had chosen to "defend" (or something) a particular world in preference to another equally threatened, and Marcus answered that it simply came down to the numbers of people at risk.

Playing the numbers game told Sheridan that he was best risking the lives of 30 teeps than risking the lives of hundreds (or possibly thousands) in a firefight.

(I also don't believe that he picked those without families to avoid an outcry - I think he genuinely did that to hurt as few others around those teeps as possible).

It is clear from Franklin's reaction to the plan that he is aware of the full implications of this plan, but following his conversation with Sheridan is at least partly convinced that it is the best option.

The early part of the fourth season foreshadows nicely that Sheridan is capable of making this kind of "cold" decision. I remember at least one conversation along the lines that Sheridan had changed after his experience at Z'Ha'Dhum - now being more determined, colder, or something along those lines.

I don't think the S2 or S3 Sheridan would have made that decision.

Cheers,

Playing the numbers game told Sheridan that he was best risking the lives of 30 teeps than risking the lives of hundreds (or possibly thousands) in a firefight.

This reminds me of the incident in Crusade - Racing the Night, when Eilerson asks Gideon, "Wouldn't you sacrifice a hundred Narns to save Earth?"

Gideon doesn't reply.

I suspect that further down the line, Gideon would have been faced with a decision like this one, as Sheridan was.

I really hate TNT :mad:

However, it is clear that Sheridan's goal was to avoid as much loss of life as possible on both sides of the war. With this in mind the decision becomes the same as one he made earlier in season 4 - was it "Into The Fire"?
Good points in your post, and the reference to abandoning (in effect) CP for C6 is apt - but even more apt is the scene with Ericson. Now, I don't think anyone would condemn Sheridan for using Ericson as he did. Ericson himself didn't object. So having people sacrifice themselves is surely not the crime.

Now, the teepsickles were in no position to object, but if they HAD been able to object, and they didn't do so, wouldn't everyone accept Sheridan's decision?

So, the only way you can condemn Sheridan under the actual circumstances of the show is to assume that the teeps would have objected had they been able to do so. And that is far from clear in my mind.

It was a tough decision, but not an immoral one. To fail to act would have meant that Sheridan was willingly sacrificing the lives of his own forces (which it was his responsibility to preserve as far as he could) to preserve the teeps from a mission they may have (arguably, would have) been willing to undertake anyway.

Back