• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New JMS Sci-Fi Wire Interview

thankz

------------------
I have always been here...

You beat me to it, Joe! I was just about to post the url myself, when I saw your message!

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

i especially enjoyed it when JMS mentioned the insults toward TnT written in Minbari... i may just learn some minbari just to read it...
cool.gif

------------------
I have always been here...

I was thinking that, too. Anyone here know how to read Minbari? It would be worth learning just to read the graffitti!
laugh.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

The more I read of his plans for Rangers and his general approach to his writing and his actors the more I respect the man and his work. It's obvious he has enormous personal integrity. I think that's why his actors work so hard for him. He gives everything and so they do too.

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

I don't read all the post but the last I heard was that Rangers would be on Sci Fi in January. Acording to the article they said this fall! When will it be on?

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

It might be series suicide to place its premiere against the behemoth called Star Trek: Enterprise, so this fall seems kind of early, don't you think?

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

January is what sci fi channel is saying for now.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

The more I hear, the more I am certain the series will be commissioned.

Thank you Joe, and I think it was Hypatia who said you just beat her to it. Thanks to both of you for going out of your way to keep the rest of us informed.

Thanks also to Bakana for the URL's to sites with Minbari fonts.

In writing, Rangers most certainly seems to have everything going for it, and does not seem to have done what Star Trek and other series' sometimes do - create something that could become a problem (anyone remember the life expectency of Kes?)

To say I am over eager to see the telemovie (have to wait for it to be on video) and the almost certain series, is an understatement of galactic proportions!

JMS continues to be an inspiration.

------------------
We are Grey... We stand between the Candle, and the Star...
Between Darkness, and the Light...

Like the recent Prevue magazine article, this one was based on an interview with JMS done when the movie was still shooting. So "this fall" may just refer to what everyone was assuming at the time. I doubt the writers at Sci-Fi Wire would even know what decisions programming was making, and probably no one thought to check to see if an airdate had been assigned. Don't forget, apart from a mention at the TV Critics Association, that January 2nd date hasn't been formally announced, and it is still possible that they'll change their minds.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Thanks for telling us about the article, Joe! It was great!

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Minbari beer eh?

Thanks Joeseph.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

'Rangers' Darkens 'B5' Universe is the title of an article on Sci-fi Wire. It basically quotes the longer interview. It mentions that 'Rangers' could possibly go to series and that they run B5 reruns five nights a week. It is nothing new, but it is something.

------------------
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."
-Jonathan Swift

"What you regard as inconsequential dental forms are in fact more, much more. They are in fact symbols, symbols of America.
Although the world will little note nor long remember what we do today in these hallowed halls. I tell you this with no degree of uncertainty. That forms filed in triplicate are the very foundation of democracy.
Why do we file Robert?
Why?
One word. Freedom...

"I love the smell of toner in the morning."
-Eberts

Whoa, baby. We're inching closer and closer to a series. They wouldn't be doing this kind of publicity if the thing weren't good, would they? If they wanted to bury it and have people forget it ever existed...?

------------------
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Whoa, baby. We're inching closer and closer to a series. They wouldn't be doing this kind of publicity if the thing weren't good, would they? If they wanted to bury it and have people forget it ever existed...? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If by "they" you mean the SciFi Channel, then of course they don't want to "bury it and have people forget it ever existed". It is their show.

I like what I'm hearing from JMS in terms of his vision of Rangers as a series. I like the line "The thing about the Rangers is that they go everywhere, and therefore the entire B5 universe is open to us, and will definitely be involved [in the stories]." That says to me that we'll see all the familiar places in the B5 universe, as well as new territory. We could see Babylon 5, Centauri Prime, the Drazi homeworld, and maybe even Earth before the plague hits.

------------------

Also, "the otherwise unknown cast of Dylan Neal, Alex Zahara, Miriam Sirois, Dean Marshall, Warren Takeuchi and Enid-Raye Adams"? What happened to Gus Lynch, Jennie Rebecca Hogan, and David Storch? Are their roles not as big as the other six?

------------------

I think the credits go something like this:

Starring
Also Starring

with so-and-so as ___

In B5, if I remember correctly off the top of my head, STARRING was Boxleitner, Christian, and Furlan, with ALSO STARRING being Doyle, the ambassador aides, and, of course, placing the most-known pair of Katsulas and Jurasik at the end.

It's gotta be some sort of ranking system.

Maybe the castmembers mentioned are Starring, and the other castmembers are Also Starring? Some sort of Screen Actors Guild rule?

Bleh, I gotta stop talking about things I know nothing about.

------------------
--

Correction, I believe Doyle is included in the Starring part of the opening credits. I think the separation into the two groups represents the more prominent characters in the series, the ones that appear in more episodes.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Back