• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

hyperspace, what is it?

Wanderer

Regular
I have had a hell of a time finding good information on current hyperspace theory, could you help? (paging joe)

------------------

Here is my best understanding of how hyperspace works I most definatly could be way off.
First you have to imagine a two dimensional universe, similar to the one in flatland if you have read the book. Then you have to curve that universe into a sphere. The "universe" would be curved but that would not be comprehesable to the lifeforms there since they have no concept of up and down. They would only have a 2 directions available.
Gravtiy in this unviverse would exist because objects would bend the universe toward the center of the sphere. So instead of a perfect sphere, you would have an irregular golf ball like shphere.
Here is were hyperspace comes in. If you could break through into the center of the sphere, you would be in hyperspace. Remember that since you don't understand the 3rd dimension navigating through it would be very difficutlt. Also the bends in space caused by gravity would be distoring the space. Hense you would need beacons or someother form of navigational assistance. Distance would not work the same because you are moving in a 3 dimensional enviroment and you only have 2 dimensions.
Now if you imagine that the univers is 3 dimensions instead of two then you have hyperspace and the center of our hypersphere is hyperspace.
I hope that his is clear and helps in the understnading of hyperspace

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

Hyperspace is another "layer" (if that's the correct word) of space that, when compared to normal space, doesn't exactly follow a 1 to 1 ratio. For instance, if you enter hyperspace and go, say, 100 miles in hyperspace, and then exit, you won't be 100 miles from where you were originally. May end up being light years away. Hyperspace seems to have strange folds in it too.

As for any more details, I don't have a clue.

It has been theorized, however, that there are more than just 4 dimensions. We can't perceive them, of course. They theorize that they are "folded" into space-time. They're there, we just can't see them. As for whether this has any bearing on hyperspace, I have no idea.
laugh.gif

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazy:
I have had a hell of a time finding good information on current hyperspace theory, could you help? (paging joe)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hyperspace is merely a fictional creation often used in speculative fiction to get around the fact that one cannot have a velocity greater than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Are you refering to fictional theory within the B5 fictional universe or something from the real world? There is nothing in real world physics theory the even remotely resembles hyperspace as shown on B5. There are hypotheses in physics that suggest that there are more dimensions than the observed four (three of space and one of time). But they are usually considered to be "shrunk" and I don't see how they would help. In math can (and indeed math people often do) do geometry with more than three dimensions of space. But these are merely mathematical and are not physical theories.

------------------

There are parralls to Hyperspace i nthe world of theoretical physics. Hyper tends to refer to things that beyond 3 spacial dimensions. A hyper cube forinstance would have 4 spacial dimensions. Some physists theorize that our universe is a hypersphere. That is a sphere with four spacial dimensions. Don't even try t opicture it, you'll just drive yourself crazy
smile.gif
GRavity for instance occurs where the hyper sphere curves into hyperspace, just as the 2 dimensional plane of a bed, curves in to 3d space when you sit on it. Hyperspace would in these theories refer to space that has more then 3 spacial dimenions.

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

/me opens a jumppoint to the General Discussion forum and pushes the topic through.

Your pagh is strong, my minion.

I think the best explanation is... We don't know, the jumpgates were found by the Minbari and Centauri and others. For us, (in 2001,) to try to explain what EA can't is not possible. I like a little mystery, what if the builders of the first jump gates came back?

------------------

I don't remember were I heard this, but I believe the jump gates were built be a coalition of the first ones. An upstart race a while back started conquoring minor races and making war with the vorlons and the like. It wasn't the shadows. I think is was a race that evolved between the first ones and the current group. Afterwards in order to prevent that from happing again they built the jump gates. That way the younger races could come together and minimize the risk of another empire. Not sure if this is right, maybe JoeD could clear things up a bit.

------------------
Scott Gifford

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't remember were I heard this, but I believe the jump gates were built be a coalition of the first ones.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually it was the Vorlons who did it, after the coalition of first ones decided it would be a smart thinmg to do...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>An upstart race a while back started conquoring minor races and making war with the vorlons and the like. It wasn't the shadows. I think is was a race that evolved between the first ones and the current group.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was the Kirishiac, the youngest of the current "First Ones". The ones with the yellow "globe" like ship at Coriana...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Afterwards in order to prevent that from happing again they built the jump gates. That way the younger races could come together and minimize the risk of another empire. Not sure if this is right, maybe JoeD could clear things up a bit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, right enough. And the info hails from Agents of Gaming's new "Wars of the Ancients" supplement... and it was probably me who posted it on some thread here
wink.gif
tongue.gif
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

"Go on, watch out for Shadows - we'll watch you right back!"

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

Back