• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest Speculation thread

Jan

Regular
Trying to honor the No Speculation thread....
Recoil posted:
Yea no kidding. If he was indeed working on something, you would think he would at least make some sort of small off-hand reference like the last 100 posts when he hinted at it.

That post of his is just plain odd...

Why? I didn't specify in my post that I only wanted an answer if he could provide details on every single thing. If he could give us an update, I imagine he would have.

Jan

Andrew Swallow speculated wildly in the No Speculation thread:

Lets analyse the posting.
<snip really bad attempt at armchair psychology>

You've got to be kidding. At the request of a fan, the man gave huge amounts of information on projects that he's working on and you use it as an opportunity to wildly speculate on his state of mind and his personal life?

I've got a better idea. Take it at face value or, if you must search for other meanings, remember that one of the main reasons JMS ever started posting was to inform about making TV and about writing. Take this as an excellent illustration of the writer's life and stop all the wild and baseless speculation.

Jan

I actually thought it was amazing how long JMS's post was. And if he can't talk about the new project, he can't talk about it. As a final deal approaches, he might be more reluctant than ever to "drop hints". I thought his reference to Babylon 5 was a bit of a dropped hint, in that he told us he's working hard on it at the moment.

By the way, Jan, I do hope it is alright to quote from the moderated group. Because it is where I get all of my current JMS info. :)

I think its fair to assume that if TMoS goes ahead it will be filmed in spring (before May cons).

One possible hint from JMS's long post was that it was going to be very busy in the new year with many things "popping" or something to that effect.

Jan: any eep dates in January 2005 left? :LOL:

By the way, Jan, I do hope it is alright to quote from the moderated group. Because it is where I get all of my current JMS info. :)

I know that JMS has given his permission to repost his stuff to anybody except SFX magazine, Hypatia so I'm sure it's fine. As far as I'm concerned, straight from JMS is the best source whether you get it from the newsgroup or JMSNews.com. ;)

Jan

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm not at all convinced that Production Weekly (which seems to be an industry website, not a news source) is legit. Nowhere does it mention a source for what it says.

Still, if it is true, I'm very disappointed that the one character mentioned that we're familiar with is Galen. I've started a poll over at JMSNews.com to see what people really want to see: The original cast/characters, a mix of B5/Crusade, mostly new faces.

What do you think?

Jan

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm not at all convinced that Production Weekly (which seems to be an industry website, not a news source) is legit. Nowhere does it mention a source for what it says.
My guess is that Steven Beck's agent talked about the film off the record with a journalist.

I really don't care all of that much who is and who isn't in TMoS. At this point my main hope for TMoS is that it might bring better writing back to science fiction. XMen is great and all of that, but I fear the future of big-screen science fiction is comic book adaptation after comic book adaptation.

And that is a real shame.

BTW, Hypatia, I opened the guessing game back up this morning and there *are* dates available in both Dec. and January. Remember, you have to post on the newsgroup, though. <g>

Jan

I agree as well. And as I have posted elsewhere, now we are getting people posting all kinds of "news" stories about this pending movie, but EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is all basing their source of information....on Production Weekly. So if that site isn't legit and is a gossip center...then all these other news sites stories are wrong as well. The problem with this sort of thing is people seeing things on numerous sites tend to believe it is more and more true the more they see it, not realizing that its really all coming from one singular point.

As far as the story goes, I am not certain if I would like it revolving around 1 new central character or not. I guess it has its merits and it would be easy to blend in characters from the series, but I have mixed emotions about how it would work.

I can say I would rather have a story dealing with the Crusade arc than the Telepath War I think. But I also believe it would be a LOT harder to have a quality movie surrounding Crusade (supposed to be a 5 year arc) than it would a single instance like the Telepath War.

What does everyone make of the latest rumor posted by Filmjerk (contains what could be TMoS spoilers)?

Ages ago, JMS said that if he ever did a B5 film, he'd want to use the original cast. Unfortunately, I can't find the exact quote at the moment. Did he phrase it in such a way that it precludes the possibility of doing one without the original characters if that's the only option left open to him?

Might something like this have occured:

WB: We want you to write a B5 movie.
JMS: No problem. I've got this Telepath War story that features all of the original characters.
WB: That's too insidery. Give us something that features new characters.
JMS: OK. I've got this other story that features new characters, but includes the established characters as well.

Is that something that might have happened, or do you think JMS would not have gone for that?

What does everyone make of the latest rumor posted by Filmjerk (contains what could be TMoS spoilers)?

Ages ago, JMS said that if he ever did a B5 film, he'd want to use the original cast. Unfortunately, I can't find the exact quote at the moment. Did he phrase it in such a way that it precludes the possibility of doing one without the original characters if that's the only option left open to him?

Might something like this have occured:

WB: We want you to write a B5 movie.
JMS: No problem. I've got this Telepath War story that features all of the original characters.
WB: That's too insidery. Give us something that features new characters.
JMS: OK. I've got this other story that features new characters, but includes the established characters as well.

Is that something that might have happened, or do you think JMS would not have gone for that?

You have some pages to catch up on here:

One thread dealing with the recasting rumor:

recasting TMoS

I know all about the recasting issue. But this is a separate question. Would JMS center the film around other *characters*, or is he absolutely committed to using the original *characters*?

Any level of recasting is going to get reactions from me ranging from irk to anger. Give me my B5-cast damn it or I'll summon a giant alien robot to blast holes all over the WB lot!

917520_20040219_embed002.jpg

I could see jms using a film with few old characters and many new characters if he thinks it'll get his B5 foot into the film world and make producing a bigger film with many of the old characters. I still think making a film with the old characters is what he would ultimately want.

Look, here is something that people aren't noticing yet. The Film Jerk article (which could totally be made up or false rumors, but who knows) only said that Galen was re-cast. There could be a number of reasons for that (if its true and hes even in the movie in the first place) including schedule conflicts. They did say that Tracey Scoggins was going to be in it...so if she isn't why wouldn't other characters be in as well.

I mean, if you are going to believe what Film Jerk says, look at it completely, just not in part.

Frankly, Im a bit skeptical on the film jerk article anyway, but Im just saying...

I'm listening a lot to the claims made that character descriptions in casting lists are out describing characters other than Galen.

Once again: if the rumor turns out to be completely false, I'll be surprised but I will know I have done no harm.

Back