• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

So...what is everybody reading now? (part Deux)

Reading the first in Stan Nicholls new Orc series (Bad Blood) called Weapons of Magical Destruction.

While easy reading I've found this series of books quite enjoyable with its squadie humour,violence and fantasy characters who actually swear at times.Plus it's nice to hear the Orcs side of the story for once.

Well worth a weekend reading :thumbsup:

Any Jack Vance fans here? I just picked one of his up from the library but haven't started yet. Never read anything of his before.

I'm reading Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan -- rarely have I been so terrified for the future by a book about food. In fact, my first reaction to the book was, "I'm going to starve to death."

Shogun by James Clavell. Bit of a deviation from my usual genre preferances but I have always been fascinated with Fuedal Japan, prior to modernisation.

Any Jack Vance fans here? I just picked one of his up from the library but haven't started yet. Never read anything of his before.

I've read a few of his books and he is OK.

What have you got though,one of his fantasy books,a sci-fi book or a mystery book?

He has written in all of these styles.I do remember The Dying Earth series seemed to mix magic and technology.It's been years since I've read anything by him (I think it was the Lyonesse trilogy) but as I've said he was OK,nothing special but readable.

What have you got though,one of his fantasy books,a sci-fi book or a mystery book?

He has written in all of these styles.I do remember The Dying Earth series seemed to mix magic and technology.It's been years since I've read anything by him (I think it was the Lyonesse trilogy) but as I've said he was OK,nothing special but readable.

Lyonesse- Madolic

Lyonesse- Madolic

I'm not sure but I think that was the last in the series :confused:

Yeah it is, I just found that out after having read half of it. So I'm just gonna finish and I asked the library to order the first one.

The story's not very hard to follow anyway, though. The only confusing parts are with the various magicians, which definitely implies I missed a whole bunch of back story. But it's not like fantasy novels are the most difficult to follow anyway.

I remember one of my pet peeves when starting any Terry Goodkind book was the exposition of story I had read in previous novels. Of course then my pet peeve with him in his later novels was that the Sword of Truth was transformed into The Fountainhead, but that's another story... (pun!)

The book is fun to read- very fast clipped, cute dialogue. Some parts are just fun to read aloud so you can hear the rhythm of the words. That's pretty much the only reason to read this stuff.

Been reading the Legends of Dune trilogy.Surprised that I'm actually enjoying them so much as I originally gave up on Dune after reading God Emperor of Dune.Not sure if it's because of the different authors or the fact that I've not read any Dune in about 20 years but a thousand pages in three days is pretty good going for me :thumbsup:

Been reading the Legends of Dune trilogy.Surprised that I'm actually enjoying them so much as I originally gave up on Dune after reading God Emperor of Dune.Not sure if it's because of the different authors or the fact that I've not read any Dune in about 20 years but a thousand pages in three days is pretty good going for me :thumbsup:

read the first one it was quite good, but haven't bothered with the others, i did enjoy the prelude books though.

currently reading generation kill, saw the show and loved then i saw the book the other day and picked it up as well as animal farm, because although i think orwell is brilliant i have never read it.

God Emperor Dune almost "did me in" as well. Heretics was far better :) Far far far better.

I'm pretty much tied up with books for grad school.

On my list this semester is:

Some Sherman Alexie short stories, Joyce Carol Oates

A really good Stephen King Memoir on how to write.

Nothing fluffy except for a genre writing group that some of us formed due to college instructors constantly lecturing us on how terrible genre is.

Sherman Alexie's astonishing. Which collection are you reading, or is it scattershot?

10 Little Indians right now.

Also reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. It's young adult lit for a class I'm taking.

I love his work. I have a list of Alexie books waiting to be read! Glad to see another fan out there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back