• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What were the "worst" B-5 Episodes?

Re: What were the \"worst\" B-5 Episodes?

Hmmm... I have to admit that I would really like to see that version of the scene. ;)

For my tastes the worst ep was Infection, because for me it was always the one that felt the most like you could have been an episode of any generic (not very good) SF show without changing anything but the names. By contrast, even the other eps that people always bring up in these discussions always felt more B5-specific to me.

And the part of Infection that I do like the most is the section *after* the whole story, as such, is over ....... Garibaldi in Sinclair's quarters and the "nobody reads Santayana any more" bit. Because those are the only parts of the ep that do feel like B5 to me.

As for the Ivanova-Lumati "sex scene":
It never really worked for me, but I don't absolutely hate it either.
Now the Ivanova-Vir "We have six ...... well, we have six" scene has always just cracked me up.

I like the Ivanova sex scene

"Boom shaka laka" :D

Then again, I like 'Grail'. The pre title sequence is great. I remember watching it with my brother the first time and when Deuce said, "Won't you, Ambassador Kosh." we both went,

"WHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!. Are we going to see what a Vorlon looks like?"

i utterly hated the ivanova sex scene, it was the nursery rhyme type stuff, just left a really bad taste in my mouth, it sounds weird but it left me feeling a little unclean and i always FF past it, but vir's six testicles thing cracks me the hell up every time i see it. that is a classic little scene.

but vir's six testicles thing cracks me the hell up

That's tentacles (or "attributes") thank you very much. ;) (When my goddaughter was a little girl she cracked everyone at the traditional Italian Christmas Eve seafood feast up by referring to the calamari's (squid's) "testicles"'. But she was 7 so she had an excuse. :D)

Joe

I also couldn't stand the sex scene.

Though Ivanova's scenes with Franklin discussing the situation made up for it :D

Yep I gotta agree about the Ivanova sex scene. For my tastes, that was the single worst scene in all of B5. I now Fast Forward past it when watching that episode (which really isn't that great of an episode in its own right). But yea, I think it is really the worst executed scene (on so many levels) in all of B5.

Thinking about it a little bit too seriously for a moment, Ivanova might have really screwed things up diplomatically speaking. What would have happened if the ambassador would have finally checked out the adult channel during some of his visits to the station? ;)

The sex scene was pretty bad, but nothing makes me wince more than N'Grath. And so my vote for the worst scene ever is when the soul hunter went to N'Grath to hire a guide/bodyguard. Here you have a guy that sounds like the Frankenstein monster talking to a giant praying mantis, resulting in the emergence of a pig-monster that looks like it battled the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Fantastic.

Had that been my first exposure to B5, I'd have never continued watching and spent all that free time I had chasing whores or experimenting with halucaginecs.

That is another great scene. I had forgotten about it (thankfully) until you just mentioned it. Yea, I'd say thats in my top 3.

I don't know about worst scenes.

What about the "Teddy Sheridan" hitting the cockpit canopy of the Star Fury?

Actually, I think the spaced teddybear is quite hilarious. Oh, and I also like "Grail," Elenopa (in no small part due to David Warner's guest appearance).

Oh, the teddybear hitting the viewscreen, then sliding off... with a pilot unwilling to report what he's seen. :LOL:

Does anyone have a quick and easy link to the JMS (and whoever it was) story that led to that little scene? I thought I heard something about "no one would be mean enough to space a teddybear", or something? :)

Oh, the teddybear hitting the viewscreen, then sliding off... with a pilot unwilling to report what he's seen. :LOL:

Keffer. "Not on a bet."

Oh, the teddybear hitting the viewscreen, then sliding off... with a pilot unwilling to report what he's seen.

I love that! Cracks me up every time! :LOL: :LOL:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the War Prayer. There's not many episodes of B5 that I would label 'bad', but that is one of them. The bad guys have stealth camouflage but forget to use it when they need it the most at the end. And the story of the old flame coming back is so cliched and obvious. The Centauri plotline was a bit lame too, though Londo is always good value. I think the only part of this episode that was worthwhile was the scene where Sinclair and Ivanova discuss Kosh's poisoning, and that was originally filmed for another episode!

There's not many other episodes that I can say I really dislike. Learning Curve is one of them, just a terrible episiode. A Day in the Strife is plain dull (though the script reads much better, the same for Exogenesis which has some good interplay between Marcus and Franklin), I've never like Rumours, Bargains and Lies on principle and Acts of Sacrifice is poor, not helped by the sex scene.

I don't mind Infection, sure its generic and not terribly imaginative and could easily be a Star Trek episode, but B5 did it much better than Star Trek could. I can even enjoy Grey 17 is Missing - the first half of the episode is fun, the Neroon/Marcus fight is great, its only the clumsy Zarg and the method by which Garibaldi kills it that are really bad. It doesn't help that it comes in a run of episodes that have includes Interludes and Examinations, War Without End and Shadow Dancing, and they really put it to shame.

As for worst scenes, well, anything with Byron in, the aforementioned sex scene in Acts of Sacrifice, the zog scene in Voices of Authority (which totally spoiled an otherwise fine episode in my opinion), various 'riot' scenes that were totally unconvincing (the riot in The Long Twilight Struggle being the worst, I think) and the 'lovebat' or whatever it was called from River of Souls.

The sex scene was pretty bad, but nothing makes me wince more than N'Grath. And so my vote for the worst scene ever is when the soul hunter went to N'Grath to hire a guide/bodyguard. Here you have a guy that sounds like the Frankenstein monster talking to a giant praying mantis, resulting in the emergence of a pig-monster that looks like it battled the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Fantastic.

Had that been my first exposure to B5, I'd have never continued watching and spent all that free time I had chasing whores or experimenting with halucaginecs.

I think you are getting two scenes mixed up. The Soul Hunter goes to N'Grath (who I'm not fond of either) to get complete access... tricky... requires level 5 security clearance... expensive.

It is G'Kar who goes to him for the bodyguard... and what an excellent business transaction that turned out to be.... might as well have hired a bad guy from power rangers.

Does anyone have a quick and easy link to the JMS (and whoever it was) story that led to that little scene? I thought I heard something about "no one would be mean enough to space a teddybear", or something? :)

I don't have a link, but from memory I read what actually happened was that one of the other producers bought the teddy as a gift for JMS (The JS referred to him not Sheridan in the original context), JMS remarked that he didn't do cute and so wrote the scene as a jokey response. Brilliant.

And don't forget the anatomically incorrect cast- "in a bad light" Londo from the same episode.

Peter David's wife bought JMS the bear and, as you said Galahad, JMS doesn't do cute, so wrote the spacing scene in response.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back