B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 12th 11, 00:21   #1
Demonn
First One

Battle: Los Angeles

This movie turned out to be way better than I thought it would be. The Trailer doesn't give you much to go on but I guess it gives you what you need. It shows aliens invading.

Anyway... it was a good scifi/action movie, check it out if that appeals.

Last edited by Demonn; March 12th 11 at 00:40.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th 11, 01:37   #2
KoshN

Re: Battle: Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonn View Post
This movie turned out to be way better than I thought it would be. The Trailer doesn't give you much to go on but I guess it gives you what you need. It shows aliens invading.

Good to know. What did you think of Skyline? FYI, I haven't seen either movie.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th 11, 14:41   #3
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Quote:

From what I've read, critics smashed both Skyline and Battle: Los Angeles.

Movie goers, knew by the title, they weren't going to a High-Art film with Battle: LA, and most folks I've seen posting about it, said it was exactly what they were expecting ('splosions and good War against the Aliens depiction). . So, many posters I've seen enjoyed Battle: LA and when I've seen it compared to Skyline, Skyline hasn't gotten the same praise.

I, too, have seen neither one, so, just passing on what I've read.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th 11, 20:42   #4
KoshN

Thanks!
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th 11, 02:09   #5
Demonn
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Quote:

Didn't watch Skyline yet... it was out of theatres before I got a chance to go see it.

& critics trash everything. I waited for Tron to come out for how long. It did & I almost didn't go see it because they said it was horrible. What do they know? I loved the movie, & I love a lot of stuff that gets trashed in print.

I will admit that I thought Skyline looked stupid when it came out but I still plan on watching it some day.

Last edited by Demonn; March 16th 11 at 02:14.
Old March 22nd 11, 03:27   #6
Alluveal
Psi Cop

Mr. Allu and I enjoyed the heck out of Battle for LA. I went in thinking, "okay, modern version of Independence Day mixed with District 9 aliens" and that's pretty much what I felt we got.

What I enjoyed about it was that they didn't feel the need to over-explain everything. We stuck in the POV of the military group, seeing what they saw and learned with them along the way. We didn't switch to multiple POVs in a montage arc a'la Star Wars, we simply stuck with the group and that's where we, as viewers, wanted to be. Not a huge amount of backstory, but did there need to be? It started in media res then backtracked a little and BAM! non-stop action.

A really entertaining movie. Very graphic/violent.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 11, 18:17   #7
Demonn
First One

At first when I watched the trailer I thought this movie was a sequel or a spin off of District 9... but then I realized that the two had nothing to connect them. Except aliens.

It really was a good movie.
Old March 26th 11, 22:06   #8
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

I was just glad to see a genre production where Michelle Rodriguez didn't get wiped out. I agree that in terms of cinematography and "feel", it shared a lot with District 9.

Speaking of which... isn't there supposed to be a sequel to the latter at some point?

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th 11, 02:36   #9
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I was just glad to see a genre production where Michelle Rodriguez didn't get wiped out. I agree that in terms of cinematography and "feel", it shared a lot with District 9.

Speaking of which... isn't there supposed to be a sequel to the latter at some point?
It was planned, but not firmly it sounds like. I read this at Wikipedia:

Quote:
On August 1, 2009, two weeks before District 9 was released to cinemas, Neill Blomkamp hinted that he intended to make a sequel if the film was successful enough. During an interview on the "Rude Awakening" 94.7 Highveld Stereo breakfast radio show, he alluded to it, saying "There probably will be." Nevertheless, he revealed that his next project is unrelated to the District 9 universe.[62] In an interview with Rotten Tomatoes, Blomkamp stated that he was "totally" hoping for a follow-up: "I haven't thought of a story yet but if people want to see another one, I'd love to do it."[63] Blomkamp has posed the possibility of the next movie in the series being a prequel[64] In an interview with Empire magazine posted on April 28, 2010, Sharlto Copley suggested that a follow-up, while very likely, would be about two years away, given his and Neill Blomkamp's current commitments.
District 9 info
Old March 31st 11, 22:51   #10
Demonn
First One

I don't know why they wouldn't make another one... just look how much money it made on the wikipedia page.

Quote:
Budget: $30 million
Gross revenue: $210,816,205