B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 23rd 11, 17:15   #1
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Nicholas Courtney - Dr Who Brigadier Passes

Nicholas Courtney, who played the Brigadier in Dr. Who has passed away.

Sad day for Dr. Who fans, the Brigadier was such a big part of Classic Dr. Who, and sadly, he never had the opportunity to appear in the New Dr. Who Series currently showing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12549622

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd 11, 18:44   #2
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Re: Nicholas Courtney - Dr Who Brigadier Passes

Sad day indeed. "Nicholas Courtney ","Brigadier" and "#RIPTheBrig" have all been regularly trending worldwide on Twitter since the news broke late last night.... and it's not as if there isn't strong competition in the news topics at the moment. Just goes to show how much he was appreciated.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 11, 16:08   #3
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindatur View Post
sadly, he never had the opportunity to appear in the New Dr. Who Series currently showing
I think he got a name check in the new Who. I know Sarah Jane name checked him several times in her show. It's not the same, but they established he was still around.

I wonder if/how they'll acknowledge it on the show. A simple "Dedicated to..." in the credits, or an onscreen mention of the death of the character, like Stargate did when Don S. Davis died?

I remember a mention of the Doctor saying all of him would go to the Brig's funeral, when it happened, but I can't remember if that was something from an episode or if it was fanon. Anyone know? It's been going on 30 years since I saw some of those UNIT episodes...
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 11, 19:22   #4
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
I think he got a name check in the new Who. I know Sarah Jane name checked him several times in her show. It's not the same, but they established he was still around.
He actually made an on screen appearance in SJA:

Enemy of the Bane

He was definitely name checked in the main series... the Tenth Doctor mentions in the Poison Sky that he could use the Brigadier... and is told that Sir Alastair is stranded in Peru.

I loved his last hurrah in the original series... taking on a blue demon known as The Destroyer in "Battlefield".

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 11, 20:37   #5
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Quote:
He actually made an on screen appearance in SJA:

Enemy of the Bane

He was definitely name checked in the main series... the Tenth Doctor mentions in the Poison Sky that he could use the Brigadier... and is told that Sir Alastair is stranded in Peru.

I loved his last hurrah in the original series... taking on a blue demon known as The Destroyer in "Battlefield".
Ah, we never got to see beyond S1 of SJA here in the US.

The point about Sarah Jane's Wedding though, was that he would have been interacting with a Doctor as well as simply appearing "In Universe" again

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th 11, 23:07   #6
hypatia
First One

I was wondering if the season of SJA might be available on Netflix, but I'd doubt it.

Quite a loss. He was a real part of the spirit of Dr. Who. He was played excellently.

Nicholas Courtney will be missed. But he'll also be remembered by nerds all over the world.
Old February 25th 11, 18:37   #7
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

The Brigadier was always a delightful presence on DW. It is always sad when an actor who played a beloved character for so long, passes, regardless of their age.
Old February 26th 11, 00:04   #8
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markas View Post
The Brigadier was always a delightful presence on DW. It is always sad when an actor who played a beloved character for so long, passes, regardless of their age.
Excepting maybe Charlie Sheen...
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote