B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 20th 11, 00:37   #11
hypatia
First One

Re: The Green Hornet

Captain America without the "gay"?

It wouldn't be right.

Old January 20th 11, 03:44   #12
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I'm waiting for the other Green related film to come out.
A lot of good movies coming up... all that remains is just to see if they can pull 'em off & not make 'em look gay.

Green Lantern
Captain America
Thor

I'm waiting for an Avenger movie...

& I know it's not comic related but I Am Number Four looks like it'll be pretty good.
Um...We're talking about men with bulging muscles running around in form fitting spandex or similar material, hard to not make it look Gay

But, there's nothing that says Gay can't be cool and awesome

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th 11, 06:18   #13
Demonn
First One

Awsome...

Charles Nelson Reilly...

Have I made my point yet?

Last edited by Demonn; January 21st 11 at 16:55.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th 11, 19:26   #14
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I stand by my original point, which I will now start making explicit.

Gay =/= Stupid, or Tacky, or Anything You Don't Like.

Don't call stupid things "gay." Not here. Not in my hearing. Not this week. Not ever. Please. 'Kay?

That said, the latter picture is pretty ridiculous, and I hope we can avoid that, too.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th 11, 22:24   #15
Demonn
First One

Happy?
Old January 20th 11, 23:50   #16
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
I stand by my original point, which I will now start making explicit.

Gay =/= Stupid, or Tacky, or Anything You Don't Like.

Don't call stupid things "gay." Not here. Not in my hearing. Not this week. Not ever. Please. 'Kay?

That said, the latter picture is pretty ridiculous, and I hope we can avoid that, too.
I think he meant gay as in ineffective/feckless in Captain America's role as a macho hero. Imagine Richard Simmons, Ross Matthews, Adam from "Rules of Engagement" or Henry from "$#*! My Dad Says" in the Captain America uniform. Feckless. Now, I am certainly not a superhero expert, but I imagine that you have to look at the first picture through the eyes of a five year old, and that's pretty tough to do when you're an adult. IOW, you have to throw logic out the window.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 11, 03:32   #17
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
I think he meant gay as in ineffective/feckless in Captain America's role as a macho hero.
Oh, of course he did. But "gay" doesn't mean "ineffective." One of the most effective people I know is lesbian. Gay means gay. Or happy.

"Retarded" might mean ineffective but "retarded" also means mentally challenged/ill, so I have to say, Demonn, you're treading on thin ice there, too. What's wrong with just plain "Stupid"?

Yeah, I'm being sensitive and prickly, but shit, if I can't stand up for my gay friends (here and elsewhere), then what good am I?

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 11, 07:20   #18
jnk5y
First One

Quote:
Quote:
I think he meant gay as in ineffective/feckless in Captain America's role as a macho hero.
Oh, of course he did. But "gay" doesn't mean "ineffective." One of the most effective people I know is lesbian. Gay means gay. Or happy.

"Retarded" might mean ineffective but "retarded" also means mentally challenged/ill, so I have to say, Demonn, you're treading on thin ice there, too. What's wrong with just plain "Stupid"?

Yeah, I'm being sensitive and prickly, but shit, if I can't stand up for my gay friends (here and elsewhere), then what good am I?
How about instead of using the word gay or retarded to describe that 2nd captain america costume from the previous post how about using Charles Nelson Reilly?

example: I sure hope they don't go all Charles Nelson Reilly with the new Captain America costume!

Please take this in the spirit it was given, which is comic. Actually, back in high school and college I used to use the term gay a lot much like in the previous postings. Then I noticed I would use the term around my gay friend even after consciously trying not to. It would just slip out since I was so used to using the term. From that point on I decided to stop using it all together. I've been "that's so gay" free for about 10 years now. It's hard enough being gay in this country without having to deal with stupid stuff from your friends.

Now if anyone has not seen the Match Game and especially the stuff with Charles Nelson Reilly please go to the youtube and you will laugh your butt off. He is absolutely hilarious.
jnk5y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 11, 17:10   #19
Demonn
First One

First off... I have no idea who Charles Nelson Reilly is but I'll bite.

Quote:

I'll go ahead and get your cross ready for you and you can crawl up there anytime you like.
Old January 22nd 11, 14:15   #20
KoshN

Quote:
Quote:

Flaming gay, in a Captain America uniform, WOULD BE ineffective. It'd be SILLY, ....COMEDY.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote